Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

CT4-V Emission’s inspection after oil change

Cadillac CT4-V model
49 miles???!?!?! I will guarantee they were trying to beat the codes out of it for most of those miles. When I take my car in and comes back with more than .1 miles on it, I'm pissed and questioning why.

Not exactly. The cars computers are constantly running tests on all the systems. These tests only complete after a certain number of conditions are met or seen.

The evap/emissions system monitor is usually the one that takes the longest to make "ready". If you try doing obdII emissions inspection with a monitor not ready, it's considered a fail. However, some states/model years allow 1 or 2 monitors to be in a not-ready state.

Most system monitors reach readiness after a drive cycle. I've seen different explanations of what a true "drive cycle" is but here's an example of the process needed to make a car emission inspection ready if any dtc's(diagnostic trouble codes) have been recently cleared/reset...
So just as an update, what GTA has here is essentially what happened. The issue came because they tried to check the emissions immediately after changing the oil so the car had to go through a certain amount of normal driving to reset so it would pass the emissions. Service manager said right away that it was their fault because they should have done the emissions first and apparently the tech wasn’t aware of that. Found out today that the same thing happened to a friend with a GMC Suburban which had to be driven before they could do emissions test and no one really wants to “joy ride” in a Suburban. However, the thing that pissed me off is that they just took it out to drive without asking if I wanted to just pick it up and bring it back for the emission test after codes had cleared. And what pissed me off even more is that they must have deleted the trips from my PDR. Everything was cleared from yesterday so I’m not sure how to handle that with the service manager. They gave me a $40 “coupon” off the total because of the screw up and replaced the gas, but I think I’m done with that dealership.

Totally done with them if they deleted the PDR.
I'd show the GM the MyCadillac stats & ask where the corresponding PDR was (assuming you did have autorecord on :) ) and just let them chew on it.
Then maybe pull the fire alarm or something, the key is to handle it mature like.

It's not even my car or my experience, and I'm pissed. They deleted the PDR!!!???? That's a nice admission of guilt. Unbelievable. I better not say anything else.

So just as an update, what GTA has here is essentially what happened. The issue came because they tried to check the emissions immediately after changing the oil so the car had to go through a certain amount of normal driving to reset so it would pass the emissions. Service manager said right away that it was their fault because they should have done the emissions first and apparently the tech wasn’t aware of that. Found out today that the same thing happened to a friend with a GMC Suburban which had to be driven before they could do emissions test and no one really wants to “joy ride” in a Suburban. However, the thing that pissed me off is that they just took it out to drive without asking if I wanted to just pick it up and bring it back for the emission test after codes had cleared. And what pissed me off even more is that they must have deleted the trips from my PDR. Everything was cleared from yesterday so I’m not sure how to handle that with the service manager. They gave me a $40 “coupon” off the total because of the screw up and replaced the gas, but I think I’m done with that dealership.
Yes, what @GTANotch88 said is 100% correct, it is not codes that were set, it is readiness status. Glad you got that sorted.

If they deleted your PDR recordings of their "test drive" you can be 100% sure they did some jank shit to your car. I would sit down and have a frank exchange of words with the service manager in his office, not at the service counter. Show him the app data. Under no circumstances should a test drive to reset readiness involve hard acceleration, hard braking, or driving over 80MPH. Ask what they are going to do to compensate you for the wear to your car. If the answer is nothing more than the coupon, tell them that you will be sharing this story to social media and mentioning the dealership by name.

What dealer was this? I'm in York PA, and will be using the Lancaster Cadillac for my service, unless this was your dealer.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back