Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Does anyone have this Option? Is it worth having?

1BadTundra

Seasoned Member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
2022 CT4 BlackWing
I have PDR, and use it as a dash cam, but its not quite as good as a real dash cam. So I have a ton of GM rewards, I figured I'd pick this up. Anyone have this, is it a worth while addition? Any pics of how its mounted?

I've read some reviews on it and they were not good..... I would do a google search first and research it..

I was leaning toward this because of the OEM integration... But after looking around on Google, this system isn't as OEM fit as I thought. This looks like a generic dash cam with an pigtail OEM harness. I can tap for power without spending the extra money at the dealer. GM points was just a bonus.

Since I stupidly missed my PDR option, can telemetry be overlaid onto any of the aftermarket cams ?

Anyone installed one ?

I miss having gotten PDR even more :(

Thanks for the info.

AIM Smarty Cam can do all of what you want plus data log
According to the good folks at the V-Performance academy, in order to get all the Blackwing's telemetry data, the PDR needs to be ordered. You're not going to get the PDR data to any aftermarket camera, and the non-PDR cars don't have all of the sensors on them, so all that in-depth info you're looking for isn't going to be there anyway.

On the bright side, unless you're really going to track your car and get deep into the data, the PDR is nothing more than a cool camera. You're not really missing much of anything, and I'd be willing to bet that the vast majority of PDR owners will either:

1. Never use it to its full potential
2. Lack the actual skills to make the data gathered by the PDR to be any use.

It does work nicely to catch techs/valets that are going above-and-beyond their job descriptions, though.

VBOX Motorsport has a very comprehensive video data logger. I don't plan to track my 5BW, but if I decided to I would buy their VBOX Video HD2 unit. For street use I good dash cam is more than sufficient.

VBOX Motorsport has a very comprehensive video data logger. I don't plan to track my 5BW, but if I decided to I would buy their VBOX Video HD2 unit. For street use I good dash cam is more than sufficient.
I had no plan to track my Blackwing, and after doing the V-Performace Academy, I realized that I would never drive any vehicle I own like that, ever. The amount of "abuse" that these cars can take, along with their capabilities and ability to perform at that level repeatedly and reliably was astounding. I didn't leave the class with a desire to start doing trackdays, but with an appreciation and understanding of the car's performance that I greatly underestimated.

The full-bore smarty cam taps into the CAN bus to pull out the data. So, you have to buy the camera and the sensor cables. Its like 3 or 4K to buy the really nice system.

I don't have PDR, but I do have surround vision recorder enabled while driving. It's not as good as a dash cam, but good enough for my purposes.

What is the point of the system sold by GM then? It has a harness that says no cut install... Is this just a generic dash cam with factory style pigtail harness to directly plug in?
1699985704307.png

I think it's just an add-on dash cam option. It does seem to have 2-channel recording including the interior rear-facing camera which neither PDR nor Surround Vision have.

I have the Viofo A139 installed in 2 of my cars and haven't had any issues. I just had my stereo guy hardwire and fuse it into my fuse box. Very easy. That option package looks like way too much overkill with harnesses and whatnot. Just go on You Tube and check out dash cams. I got my Viofo's off of Amazon. My rear camera view !

Attachments

• 20220207_215446.mp4
    49.8 MB
I have the Viofo A139 installed in 2 of my cars and haven't had any issues. I just had my stereo guy hardwire and fuse it into my fuse box. Very easy. That option package looks like way too much overkill with harnesses and whatnot. Just go on You Tube and check out dash cams. I got my Viofo's off of Amazon. My rear camera view !
Yea, I was thinking that too... I was hoping this would integrate to the OEM plastics and interior, it doesn't look that way at all though

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back