Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

CT5-V Dealer damaged wheel during tire install

CT5-V Model
I ended up buying my own tire mounter from a shop that was closing down and it took me a while to learn what I was doing. However, I just mounted four new OEM tires on four new rims and these PS4S are way easier to mount than the run flats on the C7. I have no idea why it would take them 3 hours to mount them.

A common problem, even with the touchless machines, is that folks don't hold the tire down into the drop center as it's fed around. In that case, the tire can actually pull the mounting arm down to the wheel or can rip the bead - I've done both mounting stock tires for the C7. Based on your picture it looks like that's what happened. The arm that feeds the tire down over the lip also has a replaceable plastic piece that will wear and crack off, so if that's missing you're going to get metal to rim contact which will actually gouge the metal.
lol...bought your own tire mounting machine now that's determination! I just drive by the dealer and give him the big ol middle finger as I am never going back! Can't deal with their incompetence!

lol...bought your own tire mounting machine now that's determination! I just drive by the dealer and give him the big ol middle finger as I am never going back! Can't deal with their incompetence!
I typically buy scrub slicks for track use by the pallet. It was getting to the point that paying someone to mount them was nearly as expensive as the tires. Not to mention the hassle of dropping them off and picking them up.

I am almost at the point of cutting my losses and not going back to this dealer. I found out from the warranty company that I could have gone to any licensed shop for this...oh well. I really don't want them touching the car again and messing something else up.

Can they save the V emblem engraved or cut into the wheel when they refinish the wheel? Maybe better off not touching the wheel

I ended up buying my own tire mounter from a shop that was closing down and it took me a while to learn what I was doing.

Dang, I remember some guy from one of the older BMW lists who lived in NoVa who did this. I wonder if you are him? It would certainly help if I could remember his name... LOL

I have a trusted tire shop that I've used for 20+ years, and unfortunately even the techs that do this and nothing but this day in and day out can make a mistake. Plus, you don't always get the "good" tech.

I've started using a "TireRack installer" which is also a "speed shop" (for lack of a better term) who do my tires for me. They take their time and are real car guys, and even though they are more expensive and terribly inconvenient, it's worth it to me.

As to the OP's original concern, most of these wheel repair guys don't use factory paint, but mix & match it themselves and in my experience can do a really good job.

Simple answer. Don't bring your car back there, ever again. I wouldn't let them try to fix it either, I would be worried about retribution. You can hire your own wheel guy to try and fix it, it should be easy fix.

I had a similar issue with my BMW, the dealer asked to fix it, so I took the wheel off the car and brought the wheel ONLY to the repair person. They couldnt get it right after 3 tries to they bought me a new wheel. If you are going to let those clowns touch your wheel, take it off the car and give them the wheel. Leave your car on jacks till it returns.

Simple answer. Don't bring your car back there, ever again. I wouldn't let them try to fix it either, I would be worried about retribution. You can hire your own wheel guy to try and fix it, it should be easy fix.

I had a similar issue with my BMW, the dealer asked to fix it, so I took the wheel off the car and brought the wheel ONLY to the repair person. They couldnt get it right after 3 tries to they bought me a new wheel. If you are going to let those clowns touch your wheel, take it off the car and give them the wheel. Leave your car on jacks till it returns.
Good points there ...I am afraid of retribution. The sad part is I could have taken this to my Indy under warranty. Yes I am going to take it to my wheel guy

By the way, I am considering selling my 2021 BMW M3 for the 5BW. So I am not an owner as of yet, but I am seriously close.

So after seeing some of the posts on tpc vs non tpc spec tires...I just checked the tire the dealer installed and lo and behold it's a non tpc spec tire lol! I should have checked but the parts guy (whom I trusted) assured me he got the right tire as per my VIN. I already put 200 miles on the tire so I will probably just order one from tire rack and keep this one for my 911 which happens to have the same tire size

Sewell is awesome my dealer service department totally sucks.....they finally sourced a tpc tire for me but I had to convince them that I will be bringing the other tire back to them since I was going to get it installed elsewhere

Sewell is awesome my dealer service department totally sucks.....they finally sourced a tpc tire for me but I had to convince them that I will be bringing the other tire back to them since I was going to get it installed elsewhere
I got a good price on the tires and the only mechanic (At Sewell) that works on my cars did an excellent job mounting them.. Not one scratch!

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back