Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

CT5-V Dealer damaged wheel during tire install

CT5-V Model

Ergoc5

Seasoned Member
Took my car to the dealer to get a tire replaced under wheel and tire warranty and they ended up damaging the wheel. Is this fixable especially when matching the tech bronze finish? They said they will get their wheel repair place to fix it

PXL_20230829_184512253.jpg

Well that sucks and sorry you have to deal with it! I have seen some really good wheel guys do magic and you couldn’t even tell the difference on all kinds of finishes, so possible to fix.
Suggestion- Tell them you will let them fix it and if it doesn’t come out correctly, they need to replace the wheel. They need to make it right, period. Best of luck!

Well that sucks and sorry you have to deal with it! I have seen some really good wheel guys do magic and you couldn’t even tell the difference on all kinds of finishes, so possible to fix.
Suggestion- Tell them you will let them fix it and if it doesn’t come out correctly, they need to replace the wheel. They need to make it right, period. Best of luck!
Thanks! Yeah that's the plan of action right now...but I am kind of anal and my eye catches stuff....so what is an acceptable job for them won't be acceptable for me....I know I am one of those customers 😄

I’m one of those customers as well,😉 so I understand as it never fails, it’s always there and in your mind even you you are the only one that knows it’s there. 😂

It’s fixable. Getting the paint code right might be tricky though. I’m guessing that there might be some undercoat primer under the top gold paint. Gold paint can be hard to match. Can you even buy that wheel paint in a touch up application? I know for the 350s you could not buy the wheel paint at all.

It’s fixable. Getting the paint code right might be tricky though. I’m guessing that there might be some undercoat primer under the top gold paint. Gold paint can be hard to match. Can you even buy that wheel paint in a touch up application? I know for the 350s you could not buy the wheel paint at all.
Going to see about paint code but even two tech bronze wheels on the same car don't match

I just had my 18" Shelby Cobra wheels powder coated for my 14' Challenger. It was supposed to take a week at most. It ended up taking 6 weeks because they kept sending them with bad clear coating mistakes. I kept sending them back to do over and over again until it was correct. I won't be using them anymore. Make sure you get a VERY reliable wheel repair facility. The place I used , the employees looked like they would run if an Immigration van pulled up.

My caddy dealer botched 3 of my 4 wheels on my 4BW. I don’t get how they don’t have machines that prevent this by now.

My caddy dealer botched 3 of my 4 wheels on my 4BW. I don’t get how they don’t have machines that prevent this by now.
I don't believe the problem to ultimately be the machines but the operator. If they can stretch rubber bands over 26" triple chrome plated rimz without damage, our 19's should be easy.

Man that sucks. I'd lose my mind. Simple....try to fix it. If it's not 100% to you, they buy you a new wheel.

I guess "wheel guy" missed the "how to mount" class that day.

I'm getting near needing new tires on my Expy, scares me to death, and that's not a $110K vehicle.

Man that sucks. I'd lose my mind. Simple....try to fix it. If it's not 100% to you, they buy you a new wheel.

I guess "wheel guy" missed the "how to mount" class that day.

I'm getting near needing new tires on my Expy, scares me to death, and that's not a $110K vehicle.
Best option is to go to a well reputed wheel place

in my case the 20 year old tech denied it
I had something similar happen to me in my C6Z06. Tech pulled the front end onto a curb and mangled the chin spoiler. I watched him do it. Then he backed off the curb. I asked him about it as he walked away so I got the manager. The dude argued with the manager stating he didn't do it but there was another standing around who also saw it happen. It sucks they can't just take accountability.

I had something similar happen to me in my C6Z06. Tech pulled the front end onto a curb and mangled the chin spoiler. I watched him do it. Then he backed off the curb. I asked him about it as he walked away so I got the manager. The dude argued with the manager stating he didn't do it but there was another standing around who also saw it happen. It sucks they can't just take accountability.
Yeah the guy was actually pissed off at me for finding the damage

I don't believe the problem to ultimately be the machines but the operator. If they can stretch rubber bands over 26" triple chrome plated rimz without damage, our 19's should be easy.
They blamed it on the machine. 🤷🏻‍♂️. I knew they screwed em up because a tire change shouldn’t take 3 hours. I walked back to the service desk and called them out and he reluctantly admitted the tech gashed 3 of them

In my case they are going to give the wheel finishing a shot and if that doesn't come out right they will get me a new wheel. Only issue is there will be number of people touching the wheel again a few times leading to more things screwing up potentially

They blamed it on the machine. 🤷🏻‍♂️. I knew they screwed em up because a tire change shouldn’t take 3 hours. I walked back to the service desk and called them out and he reluctantly admitted the tech gashed 3 of them
Did they get you new wheels?

I ended up buying my own tire mounter from a shop that was closing down and it took me a while to learn what I was doing. However, I just mounted four new OEM tires on four new rims and these PS4S are way easier to mount than the run flats on the C7. I have no idea why it would take them 3 hours to mount them.

A common problem, even with the touchless machines, is that folks don't hold the tire down into the drop center as it's fed around. In that case, the tire can actually pull the mounting arm down to the wheel or can rip the bead - I've done both mounting stock tires for the C7. Based on your picture it looks like that's what happened. The arm that feeds the tire down over the lip also has a replaceable plastic piece that will wear and crack off, so if that's missing you're going to get metal to rim contact which will actually gouge the metal.

I ended up buying my own tire mounter from a shop that was closing down and it took me a while to learn what I was doing. However, I just mounted four new OEM tires on four new rims and these PS4S are way easier to mount than the run flats on the C7. I have no idea why it would take them 3 hours to mount them.

A common problem, even with the touchless machines, is that folks don't hold the tire down into the drop center as it's fed around. In that case, the tire can actually pull the mounting arm down to the wheel or can rip the bead - I've done both mounting stock tires for the C7. Based on your picture it looks like that's what happened. The arm that feeds the tire down over the lip also has a replaceable plastic piece that will wear and crack off, so if that's missing you're going to get metal to rim contact which will actually gouge the metal.
I have to make sure this doesn't happen again ...the less number of people that touch it the better.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back