Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Dealer called, car is in, but now there is a catch

Ok, so how many dealers/GM/Cadillac employees read this forum???? How far up the ladder does all our comments go? Cadillac probably has assassins looking for me.....

Cadillac is a manufacture and has no say in this situation..

Think of it as best buy requiring customer to buy a game and a controller if they want to buy a PlayStation 5..... They force you to buy a bundle because they know they will sell with or without... You cant call Sony and complain.....

The difference here is that customers are under the impression that a car ordered for them is "theirs." While the car was ordered for them, its not their vehicle until the paperwork is signed. The dealer allowed an allocation spot for a custom order. There's no obligation for the dealer to sell the car to the person who placed the order.

Think of it as best buy requiring customer to buy a game and a controller if they want to buy a PlayStation 5..... They force you to buy a bundle because they know they will sell with or without... You cant call Sony and complain.....

The difference here is that customers are under the impression that a car ordered for them is "theirs." While the car was ordered for them, its not their vehicle until the paperwork is signed. The dealer allowed an allocation spot for a custom order. There's no obligation for the dealer to sell the car to the person who placed the order.
So Cadillac does not have anyone out to kill me? 🤣

This is a new one for me. You enter into an agreement with a dealer for a custom order and there's "no obligation" to sell the car to the person who ordered it? That is bananas. What does 'signed paperwork' mean? I'm not taking the piss either, this sounds just ripe for effaboutery.

Does anyone have a pic of the document they signed when their order was placed? I'd love to see the language on this agreement that is apparently not an agreement.

This is a new one for me. You enter into an agreement with a dealer for a custom order and there's "no obligation" to sell the car to the person who ordered it? That is bananas. What does 'signed paperwork' mean? I'm not taking the piss either, this sounds just ripe for effaboutery.

Does anyone have a pic of the document they signed when their order was placed? I'd love to see the language on this agreement that is apparently not an agreement.
Dustin is the top Blackwing sales guy in the nation at the #1 dealer, so I would think he knows what he is talking about, plus he is one hell of a nice cat!

Dustin is the top Blackwing sales guy in the nation at the #1 dealer, so I would think he knows what he is talking about, plus he is one hell of a nice cat!
Apologies if my incredulity came off as blowhardy-like 'oh sure buddy', I don't doubt what an insider says.
I am just genuinely wowed by it and would love to see the fine print on whatever it is someone who puts in an order signs, especially if it has a bunch of not yours mate language around it.

Apologies if my incredulity came off as blowhardy-like 'oh sure buddy', I don't doubt what an insider says.
I am just genuinely wowed by it and would love to see the fine print on whatever it is someone who puts in an order signs, especially if it has a bunch of not yours mate language around it.
No problem, I've purchased 19 cars from Sewell dealers, and probably 20 other cars from other brands and my BW purchase has been a learning experience...

To be honest with you, most dealers don't make you sign anything when you place an order.. or rather I'll rephrase and say most dealers don't want to sign anything when you place an order. Aside from any verbiage or contract obligations to protect both sides regarding a deposit, they usually just put the order in and say "We'll see you in a few months"

Would it be beneficial to have things signed and final when placing an order? Absolutely. I just don't see many places wanting to do that. You don't want to finance the car right then and there then wait on it, the dealer doesn't want to sign you up at [just an example] 50k and the car comes in with mid-year price changes at 55k.

As long as the dealer is transparent, up-front, and the deal is made by two willing parties, I don't see it as a great business practice but if those are the terms that were agreed, then so be it. Manufacturer limitations aside, switching things up after an agreement is reached is unethical at best and possibly not even legal. The FTC recently brought enforcement actions against a dealer group for related practices.

I work in finance and would be in an orange jump suit if I changed terms with clients after things were already agreed. Heck, it's illegal in my industry to tie the offering of one product to the purchase of another (so the equivalent of mandating some ceramic coat wouldn't fly). Different industry different regs.

Sewell is in an enviable position because it has learned that by charging MSRP and sticking to their agreements they can build a loyal franchise and properly represent GM in market as a stand up company to do business with. It's likely why your dealer group get so many allocations. Although I can't do business with you right now, I still think it's great that you do get as many allocations as you do because you create a no B/S place for enthusiasts to buy their cars. It's also sad that I feel the need to say this about your dealer group because it points to how horrible the dealer experience is at far too many other places.

I'm glad things worked out in this case for the OP. If I ever experience the start of what the OP did here, the top brass at GM would receive emails from me letting them know that one of their dealer is operating with questionable ethics, not upholding their financial agreements, and that their undermine the the GM brand, the client experience, and GM's abiity to maintain customer loyalty. It may not change my circumstances but you can be sure I would try to change the offending dealers' future circumstances by encouraging GM to pull future allocations from the offending dealer and direct them to ones operating in a way that doesn't infuriate their potential clients.

T
Interesting bit on the Andrews website. This ordering thing sure sounds like the way to go: Order New Cadillac Today | Luxury Vehicles Near Nashville

Especially this bit:
"You can also rest assured that placing an order will not cost you more."
Absolute chancers.
They also say it’s going to be “quick” and the Cadillac team “jumps on the job.” But, I think the only jumping to be done is by goats.

4917148F-0F2F-468C-A721-7EB68317EB23.jpeg

Last edited:
99.9% of the time, the only time something is signed in a dealership its done in the finance office, at the end of the sale. Dustin is 100% right. If a dealer draws up a contract to sell a "order" thats on them, but they are in the minority.

Side story.......I was in the sales office at our Honda store the other day and one of our "newer" sales reps was working a deal with a older couple. He was going back and forth with the "numbers" and the customer actually wrote on the paper, he will buy the car etc.........and had the sales rep sign it..........LMAO.....he will never live that down.

99.9% of the time, the only time something is signed in a dealership its done in the finance office, at the end of the sale. Dustin is 100% right. If a dealer draws up a contract to sell a "order" thats on them, but they are in the minority.

Side story.......I was in the sales office at our Honda store the other day and one of our "newer" sales reps was working a deal with a older couple. He was going back and forth with the "numbers" and the customer actually wrote on the paper, he will buy the car etc.........and had the sales rep sign it..........LMAO.....he will never live that down.
as a newbie sales rep at a Honda store years ago my managers actually told me to sign it if they sign. My signature means squat and makes the customer feel as I am advocating for them (which honestly I was never the type of salesman who wants to fight over figures). Weird tactic but sometimes it works, manager comes back with a different number and the customer wants to let the newbie get a sale for trying to be on their side

I have the original order sheet showing the price and DOC fee. Dealer is Andrew’s Cadillac, south of Nashville.
Interesting- that’s where I got mine and I had no hassle. Car came in, I paid, I drove off. They asked if I wanted a “dealer package” I politely declined and they never brought it up again

I wouldn't trust almost any dealership to "ceramic" coat my car. They buy the cheapest product they can and apply it sloppily and without actually correcting the paint first. Waste of money at 99% of places.

That being said, that sucks @Snowwolfe were you going to get any correction / ceramic / PPF done after picking up the car?
I probably wouldn't either. Fortunately I have a great dealer (Cadillac Bellevue) and they have their PPF and tint done at a 3rd-party shop and they took me there to talk to installer on options before they started the work. Probably paid more than going there on my own but it's all covered for at least the length of the new car warranty and if I have a problem the dealership will take care if it.

The whole concept and execution of dealer add-ons irks me to no end. I leased a new car for my wife at the end of 2019 (which was not the best time to lease a car. it sat in the garage for most of 2020). The dealer we leased it from was going to add tint to the front windows only as the rears were tinted from the factory. I asked if they could at least install ceramic tint as we live in Texas. I even offered to pay for it but when I asked about it on delivery day the salesman "forgot."

If we decide to purchase another Jaguar/LR product when we turn this one in next year, I'll be returning it to the Sewell store in my town.

This is so wild for me to read this post, as I’m in the exact same situation. Dealer is trying to add on some bullshit package which includes a “Zurich shield” (some bullshit interior and exterior coating), free car washes, 24 mos maint, free loaner car, and free nitrogen refills. It’s a “3,500 package but they are giving me a deal at 2,500”. This is the same package they have on two 4BWs and are charging 22k for it [absurd].
Dealer texted me if I back out they’ll easily mark the car up another 30k and sell it. Complete scumbag tactic.
This “Zurich” thing is supposedly ceramic coating, but they have no fkn clue what I meant when I asked if paint correction would occur first. And the dealer is too far from me to take advantage of the other bs included. (The only reason I selected this dealer over an hour away rather than the one right down the street is due to the no ADM)
I speak with them tomorrow as they pulled the same “I need to speak with my manager garbage yesterday” and can’t wait.
Super annoying, bummer you had to deal with this shit too. Hope it works out.

This is so wild for me to read this post, as I’m in the exact same situation. Dealer is trying to add on some bullshit package which includes a “Zurich shield” (some bullshit interior and exterior coating), free car washes, 24 mos maint, free loaner car, and free nitrogen refills. It’s a “3,500 package but they are giving me a deal at 2,500”. This is the same package they have on two 4BWs and are charging 22k for it [absurd].
Dealer texted me if I back out they’ll easily mark the car up another 30k and sell it. Complete scumbag tactic.
This “Zurich” thing is supposedly ceramic coating, but they have no fkn clue what I meant when I asked if paint correction would occur first. And the dealer is too far from me to take advantage of the other bs included. (The only reason I selected this dealer over an hour away rather than the one right down the street is due to the no ADM)
I speak with them tomorrow as they pulled the same “I need to speak with my manager garbage yesterday” and can’t wait.
Super annoying, bummer you had to deal with this shit too. Hope it works out.
Sounds like a great opportunity to bring a friend to video the encounter. I bet your local news would love to run a story about dealers not upholding their agreements and a video segment would be useful for that.

I really wonder what dealers who operate this way are thinking? Why doesn't their industry group rein this in? What will happen the next time the industry falls on tough times? Public opinion can't be very high right now on the industry. Can you imagine trying to pass another cash for clunkers program?? I would vote my reps out of office if they attempted to support an industry that so brazenly screwed its customers less than 2 years after many of the very same people received forgivable PPP loans in the early days of COVID. Let me take that public handout and then screw everyone I can next year. Really, shit for brains is being too generous cause it still implies something other than an empty skull.

Last edited:
Where do they come up with these dumb names, Zürich package, give me a break. It’s like they think the name will somehow smooth over their pitch. Tell them you want to give them the Compton package.

Where do they come up with these dumb names, Zürich package, give me a break. It’s like they think the name will somehow smooth over their pitch. Tell them you want to give them the Compton package.
My favorite name I stumbled upon was the 'High Desert Package'... IIRC it was either Reno or Bend.
Apparently people will talk themselves into these packages not being so bad and paying for them as we see here, instead of doing the obvious thing and walking out, so you maybe right. The name is all part of the suspension of disbelief.

Thats kinda wild. I bought my #86 from them and never had any issues. They were MSRP and by far the best car dealer I have ever worked with top to bottom. Glad to hear they are trying to do right by you though.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back