Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Ct5v blackwing removing brake calipers

Mikey_hux

Seasoned Member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
2023 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing
Hi Everyone,

I am thinking of having my break calipers powder coated but one of the shops had notified me that removing the calipers and putting it back might turn on the check engine light and the only way to clear it is to take it to the dealership.

Is this true that the check engine light will turn on? If this is the case I might consider just painting it which I believe not ideal.

I'm waiting for @BimmerFan to call you out on the spelling, but at least you spelled it right in the title.

You're doing it wrong if the MIL comes on after removing and replacing the calipers. The brake system is critical for your health and well-being (and those on the road with you) so I would make sure your mechanic skills match your desire to change the colors before you start. Dupli-Color caliper paint is not my recommendation on this application.

I'm waiting for @BimmerFan to call you out on the spelling, but at least you spelled it right in the title.

You're doing it wrong if the MIL comes on after removing and replacing the calipers. The brake system is critical for your health and well-being (and those on the road with you) so I would make sure your mechanic skills match your desire to change the colors before you start. Dupli-Color caliper paint is not my recommendation on this application.
@jbawden thanks. I was going to have a custom shop do it for me but they told me that the check engine light might turn on after putting the calipers back which really concerned me and wanted to reach out here to make sure they are not lying. I was not going to get it done with them as the estimate they gave me was ridiculously high.

If you disconnect the battery (like the owners manual tells you to), and leave it disconnected until the calipers are reinstalled and bled, the computer will never know what you did. Note that you need to cap the lines or all the fluid will drain out and you'll never get them bled properly without the factory scan tool to cycle the abs module.

The real question is if powder coating is the right way to paint calipers. I assume the calipers are aluminum. If so, and the powder coating oven temp exceeds the annealing temp of whatever the aluminum alloy is used in the calipers, you will ruin the temper of the calipers.

A friend had his wheels powdered coated and they failed at the hub (hub stayed attached to the car and wheel flew off). A quick Google search will generate hundreds, maybe thousands, of pictures of powdered coated wheel failure. Given the critical safety nature of brakes (and wheels) I wouldn't want to experiment to find out if the temper is lost

If you disconnect the battery (like the owners manual tells you to), and leave it disconnected until the calipers are reinstalled and bled, the computer will never know what you did. Note that you need to cap the lines or all the fluid will drain out and you'll never get them bled properly without the factory scan tool to cycle the abs module.

The real question is if powder coating is the right way to paint calipers. I assume the calipers are aluminum. If so, and the powder coating oven temp exceeds the annealing temp of whatever the aluminum alloy is used in the calipers, you will ruin the temper of the calipers.

A friend had his wheels powdered coated and they failed at the hub (hub stayed attached to the car and wheel flew off). A quick Google search will generate hundreds, maybe thousands, of pictures of powdered coated wheel failure. Given the critical safety nature of brakes (and wheels) I wouldn't want to experiment to find out if the temper is lost
This is extremely helpful. Thank you. I agree I wouldn’t take the chance ruining my calipers. I think painting would be the way to go. Just need to find a reputable shop that does not charge an arm and a leg 😓

Some light reading... I don't 100% agree with it, but should explain the process a bit.

In the motorcycle racing world, powder coated wheels are standard operation for decades. There are literally 10's of 1,000's of motorcycle wheels that have been powder coated over the years. If anyone is concerned about wheel failure, its a dude on a bike. I know I'm just another anecdote, but I think you're fine powder coating wheels or calipers.
Some light reading... I don't 100% agree with it, but should explain the process a bit.
Consider the source, it's the manufacturer trying to sell new calipers.

If you have the time and patience, you can paint them with G2 caliper paint (G2usa.com) without removing the caliper. They have over 10 colors to choose from. I’ve had good success by taking my time carefully taping around everything after throughly cleaning and once dry, then paint. I have had zero issues with their paint failing, but I don’t track cars either. My last car I painted was my 2019 Audi A7 and bought high quality decals that I installed. I painted those black as I didn’t want the caliper color to be the focus point. Here are the before & after of one front caliper.

Attachments

• IMG_4760.jpeg
    IMG_4760.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_4766.jpeg
    IMG_4766.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 34
If you have the time and patience, you can paint them with G2 caliper paint (G2usa.com) without removing the caliper. They have over 10 colors to choose from. I’ve had good success by taking my time carefully taping around everything after throughly cleaning and once dry, then paint. I have had zero issues with their paint failing, but I don’t track cars either. My last car I painted was my 2019 Audi A7 and bought high quality decals that I installed. I painted those black as I didn’t want the caliper color to be the focus point. Here are the before & after of one front caliper.
I did my A6 the same way, same ring decal too... Just in red. It held up for 3 years, still looked new. I just think with mine already being bronze, am I devaluing the car since it was an extra option for the color.

I did forget to mention that if you paint with the G2 paint system, do not clear coat over the color. I couldn’t find a clear coat that could handle the higher temps without yellowing. I did place the decals on while slightly tacky thinking that would help.

In the motorcycle racing world, powder coated wheels are standard operation for decades. There are literally 10's of 1,000's of motorcycle wheels that have been powder coated over the years. If anyone is concerned about wheel failure, its a dude on a bike. I know I'm just another anecdote, but I think you're fine powder coating wheels or calipers.

Consider the source, it's the manufacturer trying to sell new calipers.
+1
I've had multiple cars and a couple bikes that I had powder coated. Lasted for years and were still spotless. A couple of them had multiple track days and plenty of spirited driving. I wouldn't hesitate to do wheels or calipers.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back