Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

CT5 Tier 2 vs Tier 3 interior

Big Mac

Seasoned Member
So the tier 3 interior is off the configurator which makes me think I'm going to have to remove it from my order. Other than the carbon fiber, has anyone seen/sat in both and have a perspective on the differences? Are there other differences outside of the seats? Is the leather noticeably worse on tier 2?

I can live without the exterior CF packages, but I know if the interior is not very, very nice I'm going to hate it. I know this probably sounds stupid since this is a driver's car, but I know it will bother me if the leather feels cheap or the interior looks like a camaro.

When you say tier 3 I assume you mean the highest level trim? I have the tier 2 (felt like that much cf was overkill) and it's quite nice. There are probably some buttons shared with the Camaro but in general it's fine. It's a step below bmw/Mercedes but closer to those than it is to generic GM. Fine for me, but not sure I would describe it as "very, very nice".

Thanks for the perspective Dave. Yeah I meant the highest level interior trim. I guess my biggest concern is the tier 3 was the only one that mentioned semi-aniline seats so I'm hoping the leather in the tier 2 is still pretty nice. I agree on the carbon, I can definitely live without that. It's the other materials I'm concerned about.

Anyone sat in both and have a view of the differences?

I just checked and the carbon buckets still appear to be on the configurator. If you have red seatbelts selected the Natural Tan seats won’t show. I agree with you though, I’d be willing to forego the exterior pieces but I’d want the semi-aniline seats.

Six, you're right, they are back. That's really weird that they weren't there last night/early this morning but I'm glad they are back. Hopefully this will be a non-issue.

A couple of weeks ago the premium floor mats disappeared for a few days too. Maybe I need to just stop looking at the configurator every other day and chill out a little.

So from as far as I can tell, the difference is only the seats between the two. I have the tier two, and I feel that visually, the seating surfaces look nicer than the tier three. The leather feels like standard automotive seat leather, nothing extraordinary, nothing terrible. It's my understanding that the tier three feels softer, but the seating surfaces look more plain. And the back seat passengers get to look at some more carbon fiber.

Good leather is expensive for sure, and probably would have durability concerns combined with the aggressive styling of the mid tier seats. Personally, I could see a good argument for either choice. I went with the mid tier, because I plan to pile the miles on my car and want the best chance of keeping the interior mint. Only time will tell if that was a good plan or not.

So from as far as I can tell, the difference is only the seats between the two. I have the tier two, and I feel that visually, the seating surfaces look nicer than the tier three. The leather feels like standard automotive seat leather, nothing extraordinary, nothing terrible. It's my understanding that the tier three feels softer, but the seating surfaces look more plain. And the back seat passengers get to look at some more carbon fiber.

Good leather is expensive for sure, and probably would have durability concerns combined with the aggressive styling of the mid tier seats. Personally, I could see a good argument for either choice. I went with the mid tier, because I plan to pile the miles on my car and want the best chance of keeping the interior mint. Only time will tell if that was a good plan or not.

Semi-aniline leather is generally considered more durable than a pigmented leather. It is also breathable and due to it's surface characteristics, it doesn't crack as it ages.

Depending on the process used, it can transfer color to adjacent surfaces (clothing) and needs regular care (cleaning/moisture).

Semi-aniline leather is generally considered more durable than a pigmented leather. It is also breathable and due to it's surface characteristics, it doesn't crack as it ages.

Depending on the process used, it can transfer color to adjacent surfaces (clothing) and needs regular care (cleaning/moisture).
I thought all leather used in USA vehicles was coated with a protective covering? And that any cleaner or conditioner could not penetrate this covering.

I thought all leather used in USA vehicles was coated with a protective covering? And that any cleaner or conditioner could not penetrate this covering.
It absolutely has a coating. But in the course of normal wear that coating can be worn off in high-traffic areas. Not sure what you are referring to when you say a 'protective covering'. Describing a leather as semi-aniline tells you exactly how the leather was produced and pigmented/coated.

Pretty sure Snowwolfe is talking about the same as you, the thin resin coating on the leather.

At least until that coating wears off it makes the difference in how it was pigmented a little irrelevant?

Pretty sure Snowwolfe is talking about the same as you, the thin resin coating on the leather.

At least until that coating wears off it makes the difference in how it was pigmented a little irrelevant?

I am NOT a expert. Holiday Inn Express...you know.

However, the attraction to the aniline and semi-aniline is not only the quality and texture of the leather, but the fact that the natural grain is allowed to come through the pigmentation. So, it does matter how it's pigmented only from the standpoint of it's presentation. Most other (cheaper) leathers are bonded or pigmented. They have a very thick coating. That gives them the slick feel and uniform color.

Would be interesting to see one of the lighter color tier 3 interiors in person.

I've got semi-aniline seats on my XT5 but they're black. Very difficult to make out much of anything in that. I'd have no idea they were semi-aniline if I didn't know they were.
The CF back on the tier 3 was not the make or break for me. I considered going tier 3 just to get the semi-aniline leather. But ultimately after much internet research determined the longevity aspect is, realistically, very similar for both. And the tier 2 options look nicer to me to boot.

A couple of thoughts. Automotive leather is typically sanded significantly to ensure consistent thickness and texture, backed with something to ensure it retains its shape, and finally coated with urethane to keep it UV stable and prevent the finish from wearing off given the wide environmental swings cars are expected to endure. Even in the custom world, there are limits to what will work for car upholstery. For instance, while I expect my leather couch to soften and stretch for comfort, I need my car seat to remain fairly rigid throughout its life.

As I've said here before, this is a simple trim variant of a mass-produced automobile- not a $300K bespoke supercar or a Natuzzi couch. The use of terms like 'semi-aniline' is akin to other industry marketing focused messaging, like pretending half the dash isn't plastic because they call it 'Alcantara' or the completely meaningless phrase "rich Corinthian leather," that somehow sounds very respectable when uttered by Ricardo Montalban.

TL/DR: like any other mass-produced automotive leather, it's coated in plastic for reasons- you're welcome.

Thank you to everyone who weighed in. Matthew nailed my thoughts on the semi-aniline leather -- you know exactly what you're getting there. It's full pieces of cow hide and my last Cadillac with aniline leather was very nice.

The non-aniline leather is a mystery. It very well could be great. There is probably even a manufacturing process out there that produces as nice or nicer material than aniline. But there are many, many more bonded leathers that are basically ground up pieces of leather mixed with plastic/rubber that they still call leather.

My Jag has "leather" seats and while they're nicer than vinyl, they are nowhere close to my old ELR.

I had the highest level seats in CT4-BW, which are mid grade in CT5-BW. I liked the pattern but leather quality wasn’t great. It was hard and not vey comfortable. Also, I fear that it won’t wear well over time.
So for CT5-BW I went with highest level with hope that it would have softer leather.
I really wish Cadillac had offered higher level seats without the CF for cheaper cost as I don’t care for CF backs but still want highest quality leather for that price.

Ive got the highest level seat in both my BW's and I don't see a problem with either one of them.....The seats in my 4 are as comfortable as my 5... I really like driving my 4 the most to be honest...

Ive got the highest level seat in both my BW's and I don't see a problem with either one of them.....The seats in my 4 are as comfortable as my 5... I really like driving my 4 the most to be honest...
How is the leather in 5 compared to 4?

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners