Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

CT4-V BW vs BMW M2

jodakid69

Seasoned Member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
2022 CT4-V BW
I have been a BMW M2 Competition 6MT owner for the last 15 months. I purchased got my CT4-V BW in early August. After driving for 6 weeks my assessment is wow! This is a great car.

CT4-V BW (pluses)

• The cutch travel and engagement is very smooth and the shift action is great. I have been driving
  • manual cars for the last 40 years. This is by far the best manual – M2, Chevy SS, Ford Contour SVT, Mazda RX7 GTUs, BMW 325i.
  • The seating position in the CT4-V BW is much better. It is a higher ride and easier to get out of the driver’s seat. That is interesting to me since the CT4-V has 18-inch tires and the BMW M2 has 19-inch tires.
  • My vision from the driver's seat is improved because in the M2, the rearview mirror blocks some of my view to the right, therefore I have to duct down. When on the track with a helmet I have to move my head around to look for blind spots behind the mirror. This problem is not an issue in the CT4-V.
  • Bucket seats are better in the CT4-V BW than in the M2.
  • The ride is better in the CT4-V BW than in the M2 and seems to be much more adjustable.
  • The CT4-V BW instrument panel on the left side can be configured to give you a lot more information in real-time than the M2.
  • The CT4-V BW has blind-spot detection on the side mirrors which is not available on the M2.
  • Carbon 1 and 2 aero packages. There are not available on the M2.
  • Value. I bought my M2 for $63K in May 2021 and the CT4-V BW for $79K in Aug 2022. But if you subtract the additional options – CF1 and CF2 $7K, Perf data recorder $1,600, Sunroof $1050, and HUD display $725; they total $10,375. There was also $2K of “fluff” – red brake calipers, red seat belts, suede steering wheel, black lug nuts, battery protection package, wheel locks, and cargo net. This brings the price of the comparable CT4-V down to $66,625.
M2 (pluses)

• The aftermarket parts, specifically for track enhancement. There is a large number of third-party and BMW Motorsport enhancements that the CT4-V BW does not and probably will not have. Example: google M2 half cage, racing harness, rear seat delete and then do the same for the CT4-V.
  • Interior trim. The dash, center console, and door panels. I love the BMW weaver carbon fiber with texture. I do not like the Cadillac’s smooth and glossy carbon fiber.
  • The exhaust note is better with stock emission. It is both louder and sounds better. At least from the inside.
  • Steering. Even in track mode, I prefer the M2’s steering which seems to be sharper and more responsive.
My assessment is that the Cadillac is a better daily driver and street car. It might also be better for light track use. But the BMWs are better if you will be doing serious tracking of the car.
I will be heading to the Cadillac V-Performance Academy in October, so I will get to try the Cadillacs on the track.

Attachments

• Storm Trooper Fleet.jpg
    Storm Trooper Fleet.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 184
This is a hell of a first post. I love reading stuff like this.

Welcome!

My assessment is that the Cadillac is a better daily driver and street car. It might also be better for light track use. But the BMWs are better if you will be doing serious tracking of the car.

Car and Driver has driven both at their Lightning Lap events. In 2019, the M2 Comp did a 2:59.7. In 2022, the 4BW did a 2:55.6.

I have been a BMW M2 Competition 6MT owner for the last 15 months. I purchased got my CT4-V BW in early August. After driving for 6 weeks my assessment is wow! This is a great car.

CT4-V BW (pluses)

• The cutch travel and engagement is very smooth and the shift action is great. I have been driving
  • manual cars for the last 40 years. This is by far the best manual – M2, Chevy SS, Ford Contour SVT, Mazda RX7 GTUs, BMW 325i.
  • The seating position in the CT4-V BW is much better. It is a higher ride and easier to get out of the driver’s seat. That is interesting to me since the CT4-V has 18-inch tires and the BMW M2 has 19-inch tires.
  • My vision from the driver's seat is improved because in the M2, the rearview mirror blocks some of my view to the right, therefore I have to duct down. When on the track with a helmet I have to move my head around to look for blind spots behind the mirror. This problem is not an issue in the CT4-V.
  • The ride is better in the CT4-V BW than in the M2 and seems to be much more adjustable.
  • The CT4-V BW instrument panel on the left side can be configured to give you a lot more information in real-time than the M2.
  • The CT4-V BW has blind-spot detection on the side mirrors which is not available on the M2.
  • Value. I bought my M2 for $63K in May 2021 and the CT4-V BW for $79K in Aug 2022. But if you subtract the additional options – CF1 and CF2 $7K, Perf data recorder $1,600, Sunroof $1050, and HUD display $725; they total $10,375. There was also $2K of “fluff” – red brake calipers, red seat belts, suede steering wheel, black lug nuts, battery protection package, wheel locks, and cargo net. This brings the price of the comparable CT4-V down to $66,625.
M2 (pluses)

• The aftermarket parts, specifically for track enhancement. There is a large number of third-party and BMW Motorsport enhancements that the CT4-V BW does not and probably will not have. Example: google M2 half cage, racing harness, rear seat delete and then do the same for the CT4-V.
  • Interior trim. The dash, center console, and door panels. I love the BMW weaver carbon fiber with texture. I do not like the Cadillac’s smooth and glossy carbon fiber.
  • The exhaust note is better with stock emission. It is both louder and sounds better. At least from the inside.
  • Steering. Even in track mode, I prefer the M2’s steering which seems to be sharper and more responsive.
I will be heading to the Cadillac V-Performance Academy in October, so I will get to try the Cadillacs on the track.

CT4-V BW (pluses)

M2 (pluses)

The m2 was the one I nearly got before I nailed down on the blackwing.

How’s the interior in terms of space compare between the two? Esp 2nd row legroom.
And in terms of size does the blackwing feel much bigger?

Interesting. I've only done a few laps in either but I'll say that I thought the M2 was really twitchy compared to the 4BW. That wasn’t an M2 competition though.

I did have an F80 M3 with the Dinan stage 1 tune that I tracked a few times and I think both Blackwings are lightyears better on track.

Last edited:
The M2 is a tiny ass car tho

The M2 is a tiny ass car tho
You'd be surprised. The M2 really is the proper comparison despite what GM marketing team wants to target.

Couldn't fit this last part in the picture.

Trunk Volume
M2 - 13.8 ft³
CT4 - 10.7 ft³

Attachments

• CD1C7FE6-BFEF-49A3-8C6A-E26E9EDBBFCD.jpeg
    CD1C7FE6-BFEF-49A3-8C6A-E26E9EDBBFCD.jpeg
    368 KB · Views: 163
  • D1F2645F-297B-4B3D-AA44-30E0CD7D791C.jpeg
    D1F2645F-297B-4B3D-AA44-30E0CD7D791C.jpeg
    258.5 KB · Views: 133
I just went into my M2 backseat few minutes ago, and it feel lot smaller than the 4BW. Maybe because there are only 2 doors or maybe because no center armrest.

I just went into my M2 backseat few minutes ago, and it feel lot smaller than the 4BW. Maybe because there are only 2 doors or maybe because no center armrest.

It's definitely smaller but I wouldn't say a lot. Perception of climbing in vs sliding in. I couldn't fit anyone behind me in either car.

I certainly appreciate a small 4 door more than a small 2 door for what its worth. Looks aside (although the 4BW looks better IMO)

I have a 2021 M240i and think the BW4 has less backseat space, or at least less usable space. I did an imperfect comparion by climbing into the back seat of each. I have a toddler and am replacing my M240i for a more family friendly ride. I would have placed a BW4 order instead a BW5 order if the BW4 had more room in the back seat. Aside from saving 30k, I think the BW4 would make for a better daily. It just didn't meet my family space needs.

The m2 was the one I nearly got before I nailed down on the blackwing.

How’s the interior in terms of space compare between the two? Esp 2nd row legroom.
And in terms of size does the blackwing feel much bigger?
I am a big old guy - 5'11" and 250 pounds. Getting in and out of the Cadillac is easier since I sit higher up.
The Cadillac has a sunroof (which takes away headspace) and I still fit better in the CT4-V BW than in the M2. This goes for the track using a helmet. For normal everyday driving, the seat in the BW is a better fit for me since I can sit higher up. I know some folks like to be low down. I think that the Cadillac also has more rear seat space, I will take some pictures, but I have never had passengers in the back - M2 or Cadillac.

What was the fuel range on the M2 comp? I was seriously considering one, but I recall it having a very small tank. I was afraid I’d be at the pump every few days.

nice writeup and congrats on snagging a cf1 & 2 car! I see you're buck county, theres a few of us in the eastern PA / NJ area and we did C&C a month ago in Mt Laurel. I'm sure we will try and do another one at some point, it would be cool to continue to grow that group!

What was the fuel range on the M2 comp? I was seriously considering one, but I recall it having a very small tank. I was afraid I’d be at the pump every few days.
On average I was getting around 200 miles to the tank. In theory if your commute is long enough, relatively free of traffic and your right foot is light enough you could stretch that to 260-270.

The M2 does have a smaller tank. It uses 3/4 to 7/8 of a tank in 3 Novice group sessions at the NJMP Lightning track. I was hitting 130MPH (7K rpm in 4th) for most laps on the front straight.

nice writeup and congrats on snagging a cf1 & 2 car! I see you're buck county, theres a few of us in the eastern PA / NJ area and we did C&C a month ago in Mt Laurel. I'm sure we will try and do another one at some point, it would be cool to continue to grow that group!
Definitely sounds like a plan for next spring. I am planning on closing out the season at NJMP on Oct 28th.

So I owned a m2 and just sat in a CT4 back seat and I was surprised how little head space there was. I’m only 5’6 and my head almost touched the roof. The M2 had more vertical space. Horizontal CT4 definately has more space. Now I’m thinking I should get the CT5 blackwing because at some point my kids will be taller than me. I’m going to keep this car a very long time. Anyone else see this also? I was looking at G87 but Sheez, came out so ugly and it weighs as much as a CT4! Crazy.

So I owned a m2 and just sat in a CT4 back seat and I was surprised how little head space there was. I’m only 5’6 and my head almost touched the roof. The M2 had more vertical space. Horizontal CT4 definately has more space. Now I’m thinking I should get the CT5 blackwing because at some point my kids will be taller than me. I’m going to keep this car a very long time. Anyone else see this also? I was looking at G87 but Sheez, came out so ugly and it weighs as much as a CT4! Crazy.
I initially ordered a 4BW and had second thoughts about the space in the backseat. I went back to the dealer and they had a CT5 in stock. I felt the same way. The backseat space is better. Oh and so is the LT4.

The F87 was definitely a more upright design and rear space in the G87 looks to be - and is reported as - way worse, even for the weight & size increase. 4BW definitely be better than it.
M2 to 5BW is like going to an M5 really. For me even the G8x M3/M4 is bigger than I want, which is why I think of the 4BW as an M2.5 :)

If the different characteristics of a bigger car don't bother you and you want to future proof it for 5+ years down the line, then maybe that is your answer.

The backseat question is all about your use case.

Over the last 20+ years I have not used the backseat of my daily driver to transport adults, well maybe a handful of times. Kids in the back yes when they were growing up, and occasionally my wife rides in the passenger seat. About 15 years ago we expanded to be a 3 vehicle family - Sport Sedan/SUV/Mivivan. We use an SUV and or minivan when more than two adults are in a vehicle. The adults are seniors - 80+, and are not comfortable in any sedan's rear seat.

For my daily driver, it is "Sports" sedan/coupe, not a "Family" sedan.

For me even the G8x M3/M4 is bigger than I want, which is why I think of the 4BW as an M2.5 :)
Precisely my interpretation as well- I don't buy that the 4BW competes with the M3. I think the M3 is half a class above in space and power. For my needs the M2.5 class fits perfectly.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back