Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

BW Paint Protection Advice

Laceman2023

V-Series Cadillac(s)?
2023 cts-v5 BW
Looking for advice on best application for a new 23 black raven BW. Had Suntek on my previous black(metallic) lc500. Not totally pleased with the results. Really looking for a balance between paint protection and to also facilitate ease of car washing so paint maintains its clear luster. Can’t see filming the whole car but curious to see what other enthusiasts might recommend for both film, wax, chemical etc to accomplish desired results

I went with Ceramic Pro Kavaca - full front and hood. Had expel on M2. Ceramic Pro installer was more convenient And had a nicer shop than the Expel guy I used for my M2

I've had Xpel on several cars with zero complaints. It's always done the job well, held up good and always looked great.

I'm pleased with XPEL Ultimate and Modesta ceramic on my 4BW.

In a black car that costs this much PPF the entire thing. Just imagine if an option existed that prevented minor scratches, swirls, & stone chips while also making cleaning much easier. That option cost less than the msrp increase many faced going from a 22 to a 23

Last edited:
I have Xpel Max on mine… so far so good. Very shiny!

PPF sounds good on paper but needs a really good installer. Also, the film wears on a daily driver and does not look pristine after a few years. IMO.

Just had Xpel installed fenders forward and ceramic over the Xpel. Looks great and bugs wipe off.

I have Xpel Max on mine… so far so good. Very shiny!

PPF sounds good on paper but needs a really good installer. Also, the film wears on a daily driver and does not look pristine after a few years. IMO.
Like most car related finish issues, regular washing is the key. My 2017 M2 with Expel looked perfect after 63K and daily driving. But it was hand washed weekly (by me). After trying lots of car soap, my go to is Maguiars Deep Crystal. It rises off great and leaves zero residue.

I had the entire front of my car done with Xpel and then I coated it with Gtechniq Halo. The Halo is ceramic coating designed for PPF. Gives the finish of the PPF some pop and protection.

I had the entire front of my car done with Xpel and then I coated it with Gtechniq Halo. The Halo is ceramic coating designed for PPF. Gives the finish of the PPF some pop and protection.
Protecting the protection! We have arrived at the deep depths of our car obsessive disorder.

As much as the BW's are and as inexpensive as PPF is, I consider it to be well worth it. Not to mention coating with ceramic after.

As much as the BW's are and as inexpensive as PPF is, I consider it to be well worth it. Not to mention coating with ceramic after.
I do believe that this is the 1st time that I have ever heard of PPF being referred to as inexpensive. 🤷‍♂️

I do believe that this is the 1st time that I have ever heard of PPF being referred to as inexpensive. 🤷‍♂️
..in comparison to the overall price of the car. I agree most consider PPF NOT an inexpensive option.

Save the PPF for the uber priced Sunday drivers and garage queens. YMMV.

A good detailer doing a proper paint correction and high quality ceramic coat and then a regular detailing routine with a ceramic coat revive product when needed is to me the sweet spot for a car that sees regular use.

The $$$ saved will pay for a lot of future detailing.

I did the noise/hood/ front fenders/a-pillars and rocker panels with Expel and everything ceramic coated. As another guy said, the key here is the installer. After the wash I just use a spray polish.

STEX was just installed on my Audi by another shop closer to home. I can't tell any difference between the 2 products, both quality jobs which is why they kept my cars for 4.5 days.

Save the PPF for the uber priced Sunday drivers and garage queens. YMMV.

A good detailer doing a proper paint correction and high quality ceramic coat and then a regular detailing routine with a ceramic coat revive product when needed is to me the sweet spot for a car that sees regular use.

The $$$ saved will pay for a lot of future detailing.
IMO, ceramic coating is not protecting your investment when it comes to Mr. Rocks and their brothers flying around at you!

IMO, ceramic coating is not protecting your investment when it comes to Mr. Rocks and their brothers flying around at you!
That was the only reason I did a full PPF besides the fact I intend to keep this for many years and is not a DD for me. Most of its life it just sits in my shop nice and cuddly warm all winters long.

Of course that’s true… there are some things PPF does better. But it’s very expensive and so far I haven’t seen a film, with or without additional ceramic coating, that didn‘t look start to dingy out around the 5 to 7 year mark If it sees significant driving time.

I try to avoid Mr. Rock as much as I can, and I have a very good ding fixing guy.

Am I the only one who doesn't do PPF. Granted mine's not a daily but I found the cost prohibitively expensive for PPF+ ceramic.

Of course that’s true… there are some things PPF does better. But it’s very expensive and so far I haven’t seen a film, with or without additional ceramic coating, that didn‘t look start to dingy out around the 5 to 7 year mark If it sees significant driving time.

I try to avoid Mr. Rock as much as I can, and I have a very good ding fixing guy.
lol. Just have it redone when it no longer looks like you want it to.

On my Camaro, the Xpel still looked amazing after 6 years. My car had 50,000 miles on it and LOTS of track time, but it was garage kept, so UV light wasn't an issue.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back