Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Break In Poll

How many miles before you drove it without restriction?

• 500 miles

Votes: 44 68.8%
  • 1500 miles

Votes: 18 28.1%
  • Drove it off the lot like I stole it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.1%

• Total voters

emdough

Seasoned Member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
2023 CT4-V BW MT
Since there has been a lot of debate/conversation on this topic, wanted to get an idea of what most have done.

What do you mean "drive it without restrictions"? Does that include the race track?

What do you mean "drive it without restrictions"? Does that include the race track?
Meaning you were done with break in as directed by the manual.

My "without restriction" vote (500mi) is based on my use which is street only. I didn't do any hard digs and stayed within RPM limits, but I didn't baby it either. We have some great back road/mountain driving loops that allowed for lots of varied RPM and loading scenarios.

My "without restriction" vote (500mi) is based on my use which is street only. I didn't do any hard digs and stayed within RPM limits, but I didn't baby it either. We have some great back road/mountain driving loops that allowed for lots of varied RPM and loading scenarios.
So you drove it up to the new redline after 500 miles. I’m half way there and hard to see myself doing so for 1500 miles. You can select your answer at the top of the page to keep a tally.

Last edited:
Voting Election 2020 GIF by HULU

Correct, after 500 miles started giving it the beans. Mind you, I'm not a throttle masher at every light, just not afraid to let her eat once in a while.

It's a polarizing subject for sure, but I just lean on my experiences with the numerous LS engines I've had since 2004. My process has yielded good results measured by zero oil use, but YRMV.

Meaning you were done with break in as directed by the manual.

You didn't answer my question. Track driving and street driving have two different break-ins: 1500 and 500 miles each, respectively. So which is it?

I began exploring north of the soft redline once 500mi went away but only a few times passing vehicles on 2 lane roads at 2 lane road speeds.

I didnt do any launches or no lift shifting until after 1500mi and didnt hammer it on twisty roads until after I swapped the diff fluid which I got around to at 1700mi. So sorta both.

You didn't answer my question. Track driving and street driving have two different break-ins: 1500 and 500 miles each, respectively. So which is it?
Didn't realize the 1500 miles was for track. In that case the poll was intended for street driving break in. Wish they were more clear in the manual.

The only mileage I find in the owners manual (page 236) for break-in is for 1500 miles. The lower red line indication used during the first 500 miles has no reference with it about break-in.

The only mileage I find in the owners manual (page 236) for break-in is for 1500 miles. The lower red line indication used during the first 500 miles has no reference with it about break-in.
If it's 1500 like the manual states, why would they move the red line up at 500? Not sure what to make of it.

If it's 1500 like the manual states, why would they move the red line up at 500? Not sure what to make of it.
I thought it was just a reminder to take it easy. IIRC, the C8s actually got a power jump at 500 miles. Haven't heard anything like that on the Caddys. The manual says what it says. IDK why. They aren't always correct or complete.

My understanding is 1500 miles is for Track driving. I think the engineers want to get some heat cycles on the engine, transmission and differential before you go all out on the track.

Most follow the supplement info for the Camaro.

Someone posted an unofficial version for the Blackwings.

My understanding is 1500 miles is for Track driving. I think the engineers want to get some heat cycles on the engine, transmission and differential before you go all out on the track.

Most follow the supplement info for the Camaro.

Someone posted an unofficial version for the Blackwings.
The first part of that document mimics just what the owners manual says (which is not BW specific). It even says ALL models require a 1500 mile break-in. So does the Camaro supplement. So, while the 1500 miles is restated for track, it also is the same for normal driving.

The first part of that document mimics just what the owners manual says (which is not BW specific). It even says ALL models require a 1500 mile break-in. So does the Camaro supplement. So, while the 1500 miles is restated for track, it also is the same for normal driving.
This debate will never end, I think the answer is, it depends. When in doubt, follow manufacturer recommendations.
Here is a perspective from Mr. Savagegeese on the topic.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back