Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Blaze Orange Metallic - Paint Issue?

What was the result?
My choice was either to return the car and wait for the next model year or have them do the repair again to match the color better. I preferred that year over the next model year but they were hard to find (even that dealer was 500 miles from home). I was also getting GM employee pricing (extended to all) for that model year. After discussing the issue with the DMV investigator, I let them take another shot at the repair. It was much better but I could still slightly notice the difference so I kept it (but most others couldn't tell unless I pointed it out.) Here is the text of what the dealer responsibility is about disclosing damage in CA. Section 9991 - Disclosure of material damage by dealer, Cal. Veh. Code § 9991 | Casetext Search + Citator
It still bothers me that asked them specifically about it before I purchased (not my first rodeo) and they initially swore there was no damage.

I would think that a good body shop could fix that without too much issue.

Basically it looks like they repainted the door with *zero* blending of the paint on the adjacent panels. Honestly if they'd done that, I bet you would have never noticed. By masking the door off at the panel gaps they made it much more obvious.

It's not a terrible job, they just took a shortcut and now you can see it.

Btw, in a previous message you mentioned concerns about the thickness of the paint. I got don't think that'll be any sort of perceptible issue if they repaint it. Paint layers are super thin in general.

Last edited:
My choice was either to return the car and wait for the next model year or have them do the repair again to match the color better. I preferred that year over the next model year but they were hard to find (even that dealer was 500 miles from home). I was also getting GM employee pricing (extended to all) for that model year. After discussing the issue with the DMV investigator, I let them take another shot at the repair. It was much better but I could still slightly notice the difference so I kept it (but most others couldn't tell unless I pointed it out.) Here is the text of what the dealer responsibility is about disclosing damage in CA. Section 9991 - Disclosure of material damage by dealer, Cal. Veh. Code § 9991 | Casetext Search + Citator
It still bothers me that asked them specifically about it before I purchased (not my first rodeo) and they initially swore there was no damage.
I think that I’d have to go after diminished value.

I would think that a good body shop could fix that without too much issue.

Basically it looks like they repainted the door with *zero* blending of the paint on the adjacent panels. Honestly if they'd done that, I bet you would have never noticed. By masking the door off at the panel gaps they made it much more obvious.

It's not a terrible job, they just took a shortcut and now you can see it.

Btw, in a previous message you mentioned concerns about the thickness of the paint. I got don't think that'll be any sort of perceptible issue if they repaint it. Paint layers are super thin in general.
Exactly. I bought a new black SS in 2016 (2015 MY) and the front fender didn’t match at all. I think it was sitting on the lot for a while. I brought it back to the dealer, they blended it and it looked much better. Still don’t know what happened but I knew I wasn’t keeping it long term so it didn’t bother me too much. I traded it in ‘17 for a manual.

I'd be really surprised to hear that only the door was repainted. How long have we waited for the car and we think they are going to repaint a door during the short transit from build? If I were to guess, it was built that way. You need to get into a very well lit room and look closely to see if colors are really off. Pictures on a computer can play tricks.

I'd be really surprised to hear that only the door was repainted. How long have we waited for the car and we think they are going to repaint a door during the short transit from build? If I were to guess, it was built that way. You need to get into a very well lit room and look closely to see if colors are really off. Pictures on a computer can play tricks.

Yes, I've seen it in three different lighting, including twice in direct sunlight when it's hitting the paint, and once when it's on the other side. All three look the same way.

Does anybody have a number to contact Cadillac Corporate? This isn't acceptable, since these were supposed to be their pride. I could understand different issue, but issue with paint? That's totally unacceptable.

I would be concerned, but I would have have to see it in person. Do you have a local reputable body shop? I'd take it there and have them just take a quick glance at it. Whatever happens, just keep the pressure on and the dealer should make it right.

Yes, I've seen it in three different lighting, including twice in direct sunlight when it's hitting the paint, and once when it's on the other side. All three look the same way.

Does anybody have a number to contact Cadillac Corporate? This isn't acceptable, since these were supposed to be their pride. I could understand different issue, but issue with paint? That's totally unacceptable.
I'm not sure the best route but here are some numbers.
GM (313) 556-5000

GM Regional Representatives 1-800-248-0765
I think you have to get the representative name for that dealer maybe from the dealer themselves. I believe the field representative will want to meet you at the dealer.

You might even try the Cadillac chat feature with the live advisor to see where to start too (I'm guessing they will say start at the dealer).

First of all, absolutely beautiful car, and the Blaze Orange Metallic is stunning and my favorite color.

Over the years, I've seen similar issues on new Corvettes, but much more so on older generations and not so frequently on the C7 generation, and definitely not on the C8.

In the past, the issues have always been on the bumpers and not the body panels because the bumpers are a different composition.

With that said, I'm a little curious and surprised that not a single person at the dealership noticed it; especially going through recon??

Personally, I would have immediately notified my GM District Sales Manager who would have contacted Cadillac and then I would have notified the customer.

While I'm not physically there to see it in person, you'd have to be blind not to see that the passenger side door is significantly lighter than the rest of the car. This isn't an issue of lighting quality or lighting angle. It's an apparent issue in paint quality.

Now, it really kind of bothers me that a Cadillac dealer would release that car to the customer in the hopes that the customer wouldn't notice, rather than to properly address the issue, IF it came like that from the factory.

Feedback to a factory is always important, especially in QC. If there's an issue on the line that nobody is reporting, how can the manufacturer fix the problem if they don't know about it?

Anyways...just my two cents...

Please keep us updated on this as I'm curious what the outcome will be

First of all, absolutely beautiful car, and the Blaze Orange Metallic is stunning and my favorite color.

Over the years, I've seen similar issues on new Corvettes, but much more so on older generations and not so frequently on the C7 generation, and definitely not on the C8.

In the past, the issues have always been on the bumpers and not the body panels because the bumpers are a different composition.

With that said, I'm a little curious and surprised that not a single person at the dealership noticed it; especially going through recon??

Personally, I would have immediately notified my GM District Sales Manager who would have contacted Cadillac and then I would have notified the customer.

While I'm not physically there to see it in person, you'd have to be blind not to see that the passenger side door is significantly lighter than the rest of the car. This isn't an issue of lighting quality or lighting angle. It's an apparent issue in paint quality.

Now, it really kind of bothers me that a Cadillac dealer would release that car to the customer in the hopes that the customer wouldn't notice, rather than to properly address the issue, IF it came like that from the factory.

Feedback to a factory is always important, especially in QC. If there's an issue on the line that nobody is reporting, how can the manufacturer fix the problem if they don't know about it?

Anyways...just my two cents...

Please keep us updated on this as I'm curious what the outcome will be
Thanks everyone!

You're absolutely right, Rob. But the issue with that is if you're looking at it straight, you can't see any issues with the paint. So that's why they couldn't see it. Apparently it came in the morning around 7 and they "prepped" it up and was ready by 4pm.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210820-202926_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210820-202926_Gallery.jpg
    565.4 KB · Views: 126
Just ask your dealer to get with Cadillac please. Team will be on it, from the side the car looks gorgeous, the side the passenger door looks off, I am no paint expert on what it would take to blend but experts will I am sure.

Metallic paint is a double edged sword. It creates depth and gives the paint a dynamic nature by changing hue and brightness at different angles. For two adjacent panels to match in all lights and at all angles, they have to be painted at the same time so not only are they the same color but so that the metal flakes line up in the same direction. This is why they never want to repaint just door or fender on metallic paint, they always want to blend into the adjacent panel to mask the inevitable mismatch.

My guess is the passenger front door was scratched and repainted post production and they didn’t blend. They got the color mostly right so it looks right straight-on, but the metal flakes don’t line up with the ones on the adjacent panels so it’s off when you look at it at an angle.

* I am not in the body work industry. This is just a theory and I could be wrong. I’ve just seen this movie before with a repaint on a metallic paint ZO6 years ago that needed a hood repaint. I refused to let them blend into the fenders, and I regretted it. The hood was the right color at some viewing angles but totally off at others.

Anyways.. @OP really sorry this happened to you. Take big Rob’s advice…

[edit] here’s an idea.. have you tried putting a paint depth meter on it?

Thanks everyone!

You're absolutely right, Rob. But the issue with that is if you're looking at it straight, you can't see any issues with the paint. So that's why they couldn't see it. Apparently it came in the morning around 7 and they "prepped" it up and was ready by 4pm.
Hopefully Cadillac will make it right , I'm still waiting on my Blaze Orange CT5 BW . When was your car produced , mine was 7/20 , vin # 860052 .

Just ask your dealer to get with Cadillac please. Team will be on it, from the side the car looks gorgeous, the side the passenger door looks off, I am no paint expert on what it would take to blend but experts will I am sure.
Thanks, Mirza. That's what I'm doing now. Was going to go directly to GM in case the dealership did something, but I'll start with the dealer.
Metallic paint is a double edged sword. It creates depth and gives the paint a dynamic nature by changing hue and brightness at different angles. For two adjacent panels to match in all lights and at all angles, they have to be painted at the same time so not only are they the same color but so that the metal flakes line up in the same direction. This is why they never want to repaint just door or fender on metallic paint, they always want to blend into the adjacent panel to mask the inevitable mismatch.

My guess is the passenger front door was scratched and repainted post production and they didn’t blend. They got the color mostly right so it looks right straight-on, but the metal flakes don’t line up with the ones on the adjacent panels so it’s off when you look at it at an angle.

* I am not in the body work industry. This is just a theory and I could be wrong. I’ve just seen this movie before with a repaint on a metallic paint ZO6 years ago that needed a hood repaint. I refused to let them blend into the fenders, and I regretted it. The hood was the right color at some viewing angles but totally off at others.

Anyways.. @OP really sorry this happened to you. Take big Rob’s advice…

[edit] here’s an idea.. have you tried putting a paint depth meter on it?
Yes, it really sucks. Specially for a car that didn't really sit at the lot at all. I don't have a paint meter, but I'll see if one of the body shops can check that.
Hopefully Cadillac will make it right , I'm still waiting on my Blaze Orange CT5 BW . When was your car produced , mine was 7/20 , vin # 860052 .
Mine had a TPW of 7/19 but I believe the built date was 7/27

@majamil Have you heard anything back on your door paint? Just curious if/how they're going to address the issue.
The dealer is opening up a case with Cadillac. According to them, Cadillac will be sending the whole passenger side door (painted). But I don't know how would they be able to blend the color in without having the rest of the car. ;shrug:hb

I mean... it's worth a shot, honestly.

The factory likely has much tighter controls on paint variation as vehicles are rolling off the line, so the probability that a pre-painted door straight from them and installed on a new (not sun faded) car will match is, IMO, pretty decent.

For what it's worth, they sell a ton of pre-painted accessories that they install on new cars at dealerships all day long. Most certainly they weren't painted at the same time (or even in the same facility), but they still end up matching perfectly once installed.

The fact that yours left the factory with a mismatched door is still a mystery to me, but I don't think it's a terrible solution to start. I like it better than repainting (which will be the backup plan I presume?)

The fact that yours left the factory with a mismatched door is still a mystery to me, but I don't think it's a terrible solution to start. I like it better than repainting (which will be the backup plan I presume?)
Yes, that was also very strange to me. And that's why I wanted Cadillac Corporate to be involved, instead of just going through the dealership because, what IF the dealership was the one that did this and didn't own up to it? So that's why. I really don't know if I want it to get repainted, because then it would mean that they would have to repaint the whole side to blend the color in properly and I haven't come across a body shop that can paint (with the same thickness throughout) the whole side without any issues.

Yes, that was also very strange to me. And that's why I wanted Cadillac Corporate to be involved, instead of just going through the dealership because, what IF the dealership was the one that did this and didn't own up to it? So that's why. I really don't know if I want it to get repainted, because then it would mean that they would have to repaint the whole side to blend the color in properly and I haven't come across a body shop that can paint (with the same thickness throughout) the whole side without any issues.
Ya, that's a valid concern but I hope that replacing the door would fix it. Like Dustin said, even if dealer repainted the door, replacing it with brand new one from factory should fix the issue because paint on the car is still new so there should be no fading.

You've mentioned in a few of your earlier posts "paint thickness" but I'm curious... what are your concerns there? Typically paint layers are applied at only a few thousandths of an inch.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back