Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Blaze Orange Metallic - Paint Issue?

majamil

Hi all. Got a question for you all, and perhaps @Rob Or @Mirza Grebovic can comment on this.
The few pictures attached here for my new CT4-V BW. For some reason, from the front of the car at an angle, the paint on the rear door looks darker. When you're directly looking at it, that's not the case. Do you guys know if this is an actual issue with the paint?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210819-123029_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210819-123029_Gallery.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 268
  • Screenshot_20210819-122953_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210819-122953_Gallery.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 249
  • Screenshot_20210819-122912_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210819-122912_Gallery.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 511
  • Screenshot_20210819-123248_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210819-123248_Gallery.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 234
  • Screenshot_20210819-123338_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210819-123338_Gallery.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 276
Hi all. Got a question for you all, and perhaps @Rob Or @Mirza Grebovic can comment on this.
The few pictures attached here for my new CT4-V BW. For some reason, from the front of the car at an angle, the paint on the rear door looks darker. When you're directly looking at it, that's not the case. Do you guys know if this is an actual issue with the paint?
Are you getting the same thing on the drivers side ??

If it doesn't look that way on the drivers side, I would think its the base coat issue. I could be wrong, Its been a long time since I worked in a body shop.

I think that it is definitely an issue because it is very obvious in the pictures under the shade.

I would ask for the delivery documentation to see if there was any damage during shipping. In CA, they don't have to disclose if under $250 but if you ask, they must disclose any damage at all. Not sure about MD. I have had an instance where I purchased a new car and in the driver's door jamb, there was unhardened filler. Now I always ask for the delivery report.

Isn't that a tintcoat? Honestly I think it's just the lighting change with the slight direction change of the body.

The Blaze orange is not tintcoat but it is metallic which has similar properties to tintcoat. (Metallic is 2 layers whereas tintcoat is 3 layers.) The sun angle and shadows will cause the color gradation changes in metallic and tintcoat finishes, especially where there are changes in the contour of body panels like where the rear quarter panel bends up to meet the trunk. But given the front and rear doors have the same contour, it is definitely odd how the rear is a different shade of orange versus the front when seen from all angles except head on.

A quick google search of "Cadillac blackwing blaze orange" came up with a number of press photos that are at similar angles and there isn't any noticeable difference in color of front door vs back door.

Let us know what the drivers side looks like when you have the chance to check.

It's clear that the color change is along the door panel lines, not angle/slope lines.

You can best see it in this pic because the light is consistent across the whole vehicle:

screenshot_20210819-122912_gallery-jpg.4215

Don't know if it happened at the factory or dealership but however you slice it that door wasn't painted at the same time as the rest of the car. Or the batch it came from was not right.

Personally I would not accept that both on principle and for ocd considerations, but it's a tough call because of the implications ... ie they either have to repaint doing a better job matching the rest of the paint, or get you a new car. Not sure if they will do the former, unlikely they will do the latter. Either way, it's a bummer.

I don't mind the car getting repainted, but definitely want the same thickness of paint throughout. Alot of times when they repaint something, they would not get it right.

Adding a few more pics here from the other side. There is no issue on the other side at all. It's almost as if the front passenger door isn't painted correctly.
It's clear that the color change is along the door panel lines, not angle/slope lines.

You can best see it in this pic because the light is consistent across the whole vehicle:

screenshot_20210819-122912_gallery-jpg.4215

Don't know if it happened at the factory or dealership but however you slice it that door wasn't painted at the same time as the rest of the car. Or the batch it came from was not right.

Personally I would not accept that both on principle and for ocd considerations, but it's a tough call because of the implications ... ie they either have to repaint doing a better job matching the rest of the paint, or get you a new car. Not sure if they will do the former, unlikely they will do the latter. Either way, it's a bummer.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210819-164245_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210819-164245_Gallery.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 166
  • Screenshot_20210819-164136_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210819-164136_Gallery.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 161
  • Screenshot_20210819-164222_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210819-164222_Gallery.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 158
  • Screenshot_20210819-164117_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210819-164117_Gallery.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 158
Where are you at in the process? Have you signed on the dotted line yet?

I don't mind the car getting repainted, but definitely want the same thickness of paint throughout. Alot of times when they repaint something, they would not get it right.

Adding a few more pics here from the other side. There is no issue on the other side at all. It's almost as if the front passenger door isn't painted correctly.
Looking at it more closely, I think it's actually the front passenger door that has the issue... it's not that the rear is darker, it's that the front is lighter. Compare the front door to the front quarter panel.

Looking at it more closely, I think it's actually the front passenger door that has the issue... it's not that the rear is darker, it's that the front is lighter. Compare the front door to the front quarter panel.
I'm with @mkrup . Looks like the front passenger door was repainted.

When I had a problem like that, I started at the dealer. When they claimed they were not the cause of the problem, I said I would contact the field office to have them look at the QC issue, they then admitted that the car was damaged on or after delivery and repaired by their body shop and didn't want to involve corporate.

When I had a problem like that, I started at the dealer. When they claimed they were not the cause of the problem, I said I would contact the field office to have them look at the QC issue, they then admitted that the car was damaged on or after delivery and repaired by their body shop and didn't want to involve corporate.
Wow, that's crazy!

What was the result?

How close were you tracking it? Train or open carrier delivery? I'm trying to figure out if they would have had enough time to do body work and paint at some point along the way or, if it's from the factory.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back