Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Best driving roads in your state for Blackwings?

If you're not already west of the Continental Divide it is a hike to get out here, but if you do a few 'must' roads for your BW (or carefully selected rental) - as mentioned above, pretty much any road in the hills/on the coast in Northern California can be fun, but a couple do stand out for the 4BW and 5BW (if you've really got your eye in in regards to dimensions):

HWY84 (San Gregorio to Alice's)
In between driving down Hwy1 and then Skyline Blvd is this most well known and traveled route amongst gearheads/pistonheads. Complete your W->E run to time it with Alice's 8am opening and watch all the cool cars and bikes start to roll up. Finish breakfast and take it back down to the Pacific.

View attachment 11010

HWY89 (Topaz Lake to Hwy 4 Junction)
This road is brilliant. Seriously, if someone said this was their favorite stretch of tarmac to 'fun drive' on, I wouldn't question their choice. You climb up the high plains into the mountains, but never in a 'We're going to fall to our deaths if I sneeze' way. Sight lines are largely excellent and you get a collection of pacey sweepers and tight switchbacks. I think it's perfectly sized for to include every type of driving without ever getting too narrow or too long and straight. When you get to the top, turn around and drive it back down or take a right. Taking a left will lead to roads you'd rather not be trying to squeeze onto. If you are in the Sierras, Tahoe, Reno, you must drive this road.

View attachment 11011

Mines Road/130
This combo is the longest of the 3 options at ~35 miles and it does have a 3 or 4 mile stretch in the run up 130 to the Mines Rd junction that is narrow and not that great, but otherwise this is another road where you can stretch your legs and get all the cornering challenges you want. It doesn't favour a direction so definitely do both! New tarmac on a lot of 130 means and good cement on the Santa Clara County section of Mines mean why not give Track mode a go.

View attachment 11012
On my first (and so far only) trip to the west coast, just by chance I ended up on Del Puerto Canyon Road from Patterson and then ended up at Lick Observatory, then went down the other side (very memorable!) . I had no itinerary and was just picking roads on the fly to get me to the Pacific. Now I see that is a favored drive by many. I can't believe the coincidence. 😲 :cool:

I had no idea the road led to the observatory and this was before in car nav. We got there before open hours and were sitting in the parking lot above the clouds overlooking the area when a guy came out to put up the flag for the day. We told him we were passing through and where we were from. He lamented that they did not open up for another couple of hours and went on with his duties. He came back minutes later and invited us in for a private tour. Unexpected and fabulous. That was a highlight on our west coast trip.

On my first (and so far only) trip to the west coast, just by chance I ended up on Del Puerto Canyon Road from Patterson and then ended up at Lick Observatory, then went down the other side (very memorable!) . I had no itinerary and was just picking roads on the fly to get me to the Pacific. Now I see that is a favored drive by many. I can't believe the coincidence. 😲 :cool:

I had no idea the road led to the observatory and this was before in car nav. We got there before open hours and were sitting in the parking lot above the clouds overlooking the area when a guy came out to put up the flag for the day. We told him we were passing through and where we were from. He lamented that they did not open up for another couple of hours and went on with his duties. He came back minutes later and invited us in for a private tour. Unexpected and fabulous. That was a highlight on our west coast trip.
How cool is that, you still got a look in! They'd just tell us locals to come back later, lol. On a clear day it is a good place to putter around.

Since you've seen it, really between San Jose and the observatory the road is pretty yuck TBH. Too much traffic, way too many switchbacks, once you get up to the junction and leave a lot of daytrippers behind then it gets good :) especially with the resurfacing.

Great to hear you had a good time!

HWY84 (San Gregorio to Alice's)
In between driving down Hwy1 and then Skyline Blvd is this most well known and traveled route amongst gearheads/pistonheads. Complete your W->E run to time it with Alice's 8am opening and watch all the cool cars and bikes start to roll up. Finish breakfast and take it back down to the Pacific.
I have done that drive before when i was out there visiting a friend. Its truly incredible - oh and we ate at Alice's also :)

It's great practice on first/second gear starts and clutch modulation too.

Useful for a rookie 6MT driver like me.
True story: while I learned to drive manual when I was 16, I didn't master it until age 18 when I unexpectedly was forced to commute to high school from Clinton, CT to New Haven every day on the aforementioned I-95 in our family's '87 GTI. You'll be an expert in no time. (y)

True story: while I learned to drive manual when I was 16, I didn't master it until age 18 when I unexpectedly was forced to commute to high school from Clinton, CT to New Haven every day on the aforementioned I-95 in our family's '87 GTI. You'll be an expert in no time. (y)

Did you go to one of them fancy schmancy private high schools? Where they wear collared shirts and such?

Did you go to one of them fancy schmancy private high schools? Where they wear collared shirts and such?
Indeed I did, though it was only via a generous scholarship that I was able to do so. And not only were there collared shirts, the collars were frequently popped. This was the early 90s, after all.

Indeed I did, though it was only via a generous scholarship that I was able to do so. And not only were there collared shirts, the collars were frequently popped. This was the early 90s, after all.
I went to school in the ghetto vs fancy schmancy!

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 58
  • fbfca73cfc5dbd9c827681ec0fdc4f92.jpg
    fbfca73cfc5dbd9c827681ec0fdc4f92.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 59
  • main-qimg-c8b57b6543e6c4c8c09389795b26aea9-lq.jpg
    main-qimg-c8b57b6543e6c4c8c09389795b26aea9-lq.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 58
Thanks! His name is Bruce so we've starting calling the Blackwing the Bruce-mobile lol
We got one of those “things” that entirely covers the front seat backs, back seat and rear door panels for our golden doodle puppy.

Seth's thread, reminded me of this thread and since I was out on 130 yesterday I decided to upload to 15 mile stretch which IMHO is just perfect for Blackwings. It is 15mins lol but incase anyone wanted to get a look at 1 of our better options out here:

There are a variety of routes in the Hocking Hills region of southeast Ohio. Hocking Hills Road Tour

Car & Driver said:
After 250 miles of Monday, enduring exactly what most people expect of Ohio—dead-flat, straight pavement overpopulated with vigilant traffic enforcers—the sight of state highway 664 rolling into view through the windshield comes as a reward for good behavior. The kind of road that promises a workout, Route 664 slithers south out of Logan, carrying us toward the Hocking Hills and Car and Driver’s Midwestern driving roads of choice.

There is a lot to like about FL, but the lack of mountain roads is a deal breaker for me, I love driving. Elevation changes add an enjoyable dimension to performance driving, and the views/scenery do too.

CA has 1,000's of miles of awesome roads. Mt. Hamilton is a fine ride, but it wouldn't be on my top 25 of N. CA roads. In fact none of the immediate bay area rids like Skyline, Mines road, etc would. Iconic? Yes. The best of CA?, not in my coffee table book.

Hwy 36 is a good one, Red Bluff to Fortuna, valley to the coast ride. Then you can take 299 back, but its the main route so can be a bit tedious with trucks and RV's.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back