Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Best driving roads in your state for Blackwings?

Elessthree

What are the best roads in your state to experience the Blackwing’s potential?

In Michigan:

M119 Tunnel of Trees
Horn River Drive - Ann Arbor to Hell
US 12 - Saline to Cement City
M25 - Lake Huron Lakeshore in the Thumb, Lexington to Bay City

Will be road tripping the CT4VBW, would love to hear other recommendations…

As an out of state person who visits relatives in Michigan once a year, I love the run on 131 from Grand Rapids to Cadillac. 90 mph is just keeping up with slower traffic. Triple digits is easy.

Last edited:
Best road in Michigan by far is h-58 between Munising and Grand Marais. Piles of long sweeping corners, the kind you can knee down on a bike along with fantastic road quality. Doesn't hurt that it's scenic and there are multiple waterfalls you can go see.

M32 between 131 and East Jordan is a nice road for corners but nothing else.

GA/TN/NC
Way too many roads to list. Currently in Atlanta, used to live near Asheville, NC. North Georgia, eastern Tennessee, and, of course, western North Carolina all have great roads--as good as any I've seen in the world. Blue Ridge Parkway. Dragon. Cherohala Skyway. Any twisty road to get up to the BRP.

Lots of local roads that would take me way too long to type. Almost anything on this map, for instance:

Two personal favorites are 226A up to Little Switzerland...

...and 276 up to Caesar's Head.

Bear in mind, I haven't driven any of these roads in the BW yet, only on the motorcycles. I can't wait to get the BW up there. It's possible that the 5BW won't like the twisty stuff that the motorcycles do, but I have some other roads in mind for that as well. Time will tell.

CA
I've also had the pleasure of riding many of the great roads near Silicon Valley in California while living out there for work, on the ridge west and southwest of San Jose. Also as good as any roads I've seen anywhere. Just pick almost any twisty road on this map and you'll have fun.

MI
When I lived in Michigan I found M26 bobbing and weaving along the Lake Superior coast to be a really fun road.

We have to many to count. Tail of the Dragon is good as well as the Cherola skyway. I prefer the Cherola due to less people and higher speeds. But there are so many un famous roads full of twists and turns It is truly amazing.
And not a toll road in the entire state!
I'm making a detour to another destination just to go over the Cherohala Skyway in a few weeks. :thumb:

Lots of twisty highways in North Central and Western Arkansas. One most notable mentioned in print is Hwy 23 (the Pig Trail), but there are lots more. Hwy 7 is very scenic. For freeway, I49 from I40 to Fayetteville. I used to jump in my 4th gen Z28 and find any crooked highway on the map that I had not been on. Hours of entertainment. :)

The 2.5 mile roadcourse at Heartland Park in Topeka, KS

I'm making a detour to another destination just to go over the Cherohala Skyway in a few weeks. :thumb:

Lots of twisty highways in North Central and Western Arkansas. One most notable mentioned in print is Hwy 23 (the Pig Trail), but there are lots more. Hwy 7 is very scenic. For freeway, I49 from I40 to Fayetteville. I used to jump in my 4th gen Z28 and find any crooked highway on the map that I had not been on. Hours of entertainment. :)
Drive the Cherohala first, then connect to the Dragon then keep on heading north and have a meal here:
PS: Deep fried chicken livers are AWESOME

R&T mapped out this route (The Catskills Loop) in upstate NY for their 2022 Performance Car of the Year article. I've done western-most part on State Road 97 and Sands Creek Road which is pretty fun. Though definitely keen to do the northern most part around Pepacton Reservoir.

Attachments

• Catskills Loop Map.jpg
    Catskills Loop Map.jpg
    788.7 KB · Views: 65
Drive the Cherohala first, then connect to the Dragon then keep on heading north and have a meal here:

If you do the Dragon, try to do it early morning on a weekday. The traffic can spoil the whole experience.

R&T mapped out this route (The Catskills Loop) in upstate NY for their 2022 Performance Car of the Year article. I've done western-most part on State Road 97 and Sands Creek Road which is pretty fun. Though definitely keen to do the northern most part around Pepacton Reservoir.
A little further southeast in NY and you've got all the great roads in Harriman/Bear Mtn too.

Arden Valley/Tiorati Brook/Kanawauke all great and 7 Lakes is a classic, though tends to get some slow moving traffic during weekend afternoons.

A little further southeast in NY and you've got all the great roads in Harriman/Bear Mtn too.

Arden Valley/Tiorati Brook/Kanawauke all great and 7 Lakes is a classic, though tends to get some slow moving traffic during weekend afternoons.
Love these, but definitely a bit more crowded in the summer! Beautiful hiking too
20220709_131743.jpg

20211103_135449.jpg

If you do the Dragon, try to do it early morning on a weekday. The traffic can spoil the whole experience.

I somehow missed the Skyway when I did the TOTD a few years ago, so going to get it in on a side trip this time when nearby. Love all the great roads and scenery in this region. Appreciate the tips, too! :thumb:

If you're not already west of the Continental Divide it is a hike to get out here, but if you do a few 'must' roads for your BW (or carefully selected rental) - as mentioned above, pretty much any road in the hills/on the coast in Northern California can be fun, but a couple do stand out for the 4BW and 5BW (if you've really got your eye in in regards to dimensions):

HWY84 (San Gregorio to Alice's)
In between driving down Hwy1 and then Skyline Blvd is this most well known and traveled route amongst gearheads/pistonheads. Complete your W->E run to time it with Alice's 8am opening and watch all the cool cars and bikes start to roll up. Finish breakfast and take it back down to the Pacific.

4BW_DRHWY84.jpg

HWY89 (Topaz Lake to Hwy 4 Junction)
This road is brilliant. Seriously, if someone said this was their favorite stretch of tarmac to 'fun drive' on, I wouldn't question their choice. You climb up the high plains into the mountains, but never in a 'We're going to fall to our deaths if I sneeze' way. Sight lines are largely excellent and you get a collection of pacey sweepers and tight switchbacks. I think it's perfectly sized for to include every type of driving without ever getting too narrow or too long and straight. When you get to the top, turn around and drive it back down or take a right. Taking a left will lead to roads you'd rather not be trying to squeeze onto. If you are in the Sierras, Tahoe, Reno, you must drive this road.

4BW_DRHWY89.jpg

Mines Road/130
This combo is the longest of the 3 options at ~35 miles and it does have a 3 or 4 mile stretch in the run up 130 to the Mines Rd junction that is narrow and not that great, but otherwise this is another road where you can stretch your legs and get all the cornering challenges you want. It doesn't favour a direction so definitely do both! New tarmac on a lot of 130 means and good cement on the Santa Clara County section of Mines mean why not give Track mode a go.

4BW_DR130Mines.jpg

Last edited:
We're pretty spoiled for choice up here in NorCal. Great suggestions @M2CtoCTV4

In 2020 when the pandemic hit and the roads were empty, I made it a point to try every single one of these. Pretty comprehensive IMO

Now up in British Columbia, similar to Norcal, it's find some mountains or a body of water and have fun; however, without a doubt one of the coolest options out there is a day drip from Vancouver up Hwy99 past Whistler, onto Duffy Lake Road, through Lillooet, then down Hwy 12, to the Trans Canada and then back around to Vancouver. Clockwise is best, as then you have boring Hwy at the end of the day to chill and not need to be on. You'll pack in a lot of different topography, history, nature, and unfortunately also the scars of recent fire seasons, but for anyone who enjoys driving and the outdoors, it's a must make trip

Vancouver day trip - Hwy 99 to Hwy 12 and Hwy 1: the map highlights the 50 mile middle bit which is one of the best long stretches of road I can think of. You can take it as a grand tourer or as a BTCC driver in equal measures. Great road in a special place.

M2C_BBC01.jpg

Edit: the full drive...
1658711140737.png

Last edited:
@M2CtoCTV4 my dream road trip is to drive up from the North Bay CA to BC and back again! Good tips.

We're pretty spoiled for choice up here in NorCal. Great suggestions @M2CtoCTV4

In 2020 when the pandemic hit and the roads were empty, I made it a point to try every single one of these. Pretty comprehensive IMO

Good shout. Ya I used that when I first moved out here - being a pedant I may need to join so I can tell them to update some of them, lol.

Northern most (almost not really) wine country area definitely has a bunch.
Pope Valley Road is off the wine bus tour, so it's mainly locals and a few cyclists early on the Lake Hennessy side:
253 from Boonville to Ukiah is good fun too, but being the main route over you need to rely on folks moving over:
16 from 20 to Rumsey as a 3rd one broadly in the sameish area. I liked this one a lot for some reason, maybe cause it's a both directions one and was also my first 1500+ mile one:

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back