Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Product Review: AutoWeek Reviews the 2016 Cadillac CTS-V

Product Review announcement

Rob

Administrator
Staff member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
Not Yet!
2016 Cadillac CTS-V drive review: World's best sports sedan?

July 31, 2015

Think of the newest Cadillac supersedan as a four-door Corvette

Think of the CTS-V as a more practical Corvette Z06, one with four doors.

You already know the bare bones about this car: the same 6.2-liter supercharged V8 as the Corvette Z06 (minus the dry sump lubrication), making 640 SAE-certified hp and 630 SAE-certified lb-ft of torque sent to the rear wheels through a Hydramatic 8L90 eight-speed automatic and an electronic limited-slip diff; magnetic ride control at all four corners; ZF electric power steering that varies the level of assist depending on demand and conditions; traction control with more settings than a bridal registry; and a nice Cadillac-designed exterior that won’t be mistaken for anything else on Earth.

What’s It Like To Drive?

Oh man.

First of all, look at the numbers: 0-60 in 3.7 seconds (good!), quarter mile in 11.6 seconds at 126 mph (very good!), 1.00 g lateral acceleration (outstanding!) , top speed 200 mph (whaaaaa???).

This thing will go 200 mph right out the showroom door… 201.8 to be exact, which is what Cadillac engineer Brian Wallace did at the Transportation Research Center in Ohio. All for a sticker price of $84,990. If you went just by those numbers alone, the coming CTS-V outshines the competitors in almost every category. If you go by all the parameters that make a car a success, the CTS-V might win there, too.

To show us how all that performance potential stacked up on the road, Cadillac took us to Road America, a horsepower track if ever there was one, and horsepower is what this car has in spades, as well as deuces, clubs and whatever else they measure horsepower in. Our first session behind the wheel came, not at the track, but on the road to Road America, a wide Interstate nearly devoid of traffic, except for a couple trucks and a few citizen sedans all cowed into submission by what was no doubt draconian enforcement of the ridiculous speed laws in this state (55 mph???). We got our chance way out in the middle of corn- and dairy farm paradise when our co-driver pulled off the Interstate for the driver swap. We slithered into the tightly bolstered bucket seat, cinched-down the seat belt and stared ahead. We had to cross a road perpendicular to the Interstate then go down the onramp and back up to the highway. The road might have been a little bumpy, too. So naturally we disabled all traction assistance and floored the thing.

Yow! This car has 640 hp all right, and it felt like we were putting every single one of them down to the pavement right then and there. The rear end wandered around a little with all that power, almost scarily, as we briefly contemplated being known forever as, “Oh yeah, that idiot who wiped out the first CTS-V.” But a little counter steering -- without lifting -- and some barely noticeable assist from the active traction control kept it in line and off we whooshed, down the onramp at what felt like about Warp Factor 6. This is no ordinary domestic performance sedan.

Full Review: 2016 Cadillac CTS-V review, test drive, price, horsepower and photo gallery

Gen-3 V Steering wheel controls

Great write up on the Gen 3V, I think that Caddie hit out of the park but i have one area that they overlooked on in my opinion. I've have owner 3 Gen 2-V's and like the steering wheels controls, I have driven an ATS loaner with these cheap ass flashy/gloss plastic button/rocker switch. They looked and felt cheap. It will hard to sell my 2012 sedan and drop 85K for something I already have minus some power which can equal the Gen 3-V with minor mods and save a lot of cash. I didn't pay sticker on any of my V's so I'll let the hype wear off a while and see what the dealerships are will to sell for employee prices so I can get one with the carbon package and still be under 85K. Don't take me wrong I love My V's, the V is way better the BMW M-5 and AMG E-63, that doesn't mean we have to pay their prices. Can't wait to see one in person!

Mike P.:cool:

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners