Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Add this to the kill switch conversation

so 650

Seasoned Member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
2023 CT4V BW Sebring IMSA Edition

California would become the first state to require new vehicles be equipped with speed governors — technology that limits how fast they can be driven — under legislation by San Francisco state Sen. Scott Wiener.

The bill, introduced Wednesday, would require cars and trucks of the 2027 model year or later that are built or sold in California to include speed governors that would prohibit motorists from driving more than 10 mph over posted speed limits.

I wrote a reply but deleted it. Rob's awesome Cadillac forum is not the place to go bananas on CA.
serenity now episode GIF

This is another one of those things where, even before you get to the should it be done conversation, you have to figure out if it can be done. And based on my personal experience, it cannot be reliabily done. It requires either active GPS to geolocate the car along with a map having current speed limits (not likely feasible as that means ensured data connection by the car or a paired device) or camera technology to accurately read traffic signs (which is horribly inaccurate in my wife's SUV, it often reads my residential neighbor 25 MPH limit signs as 85 MPH). For the camera route, I could see people selling little 155 MPH stickers to hang in front of the cameras. 😂

I don't think this concept is far fetched. The cars currently show the posted speed on most major roadways, I'm assuming from GPS positioning, and seem to be reasonably accurate. I doubt it would be too difficult to control speed electronically using that information. If the speed data is unavailable, it probably just doesn't limit anything, or maybe "assumes" the highest legal speed for secondary roadways applies, which in Ohio is 55 mph. This is one that wouldn't have to be perfect to be reasonably effective. Of course, the next step is for the car to self report over OnStar when you violate the speed limit to the police and deduct the fine directly from your bank account, on a per mile basis.

I don't think this concept is far fetched. The cars currently show the posted speed on most major roadways, I'm assuming from GPS positioning, and seem to be reasonably accurate. I doubt it would be too difficult to control speed electronically using that information. If the speed data is unavailable, it probably just doesn't limit anything, or maybe "assumes" the highest legal speed for secondary roadways applies, which in Ohio is 55 mph. This is one that wouldn't have to be perfect to be reasonably effective. Of course, the next step is for the car to self report over OnStar when you violate the speed limit to the police and deduct the fine directly from your bank account, on a per mile basis.
To require someone be constantly connected to GPS will not make it past the Supreme Court. End of story. CA is famous for passing laws that they are fully aware are unconstitutional.

California would become the first state to require new vehicles be equipped with speed governors — technology that limits how fast they can be driven — under legislation by San Francisco state Sen. Scott Wiener.

The bill, introduced Wednesday, would require cars and trucks of the 2027 model year or later that are built or sold in California to include speed governors that would prohibit motorists from driving more than 10 mph over posted speed limits.
This is the perfect reason to never visit California or move there. I don't want the government controlling what my car can do or can't do. I have had many instances in which I needed the power and increased speed to safely avoid an accident. With this new law, can you imagine trying to pass someone?

Good point! Everyone will be pedal down doing 75 in the 65. Like the two big trucks passing each other. One at 64 and the other at 65. Talk about road rage!

One of the first things I thought of was passing big rigs. I like to get around them fast and going around them at a 2MPH difference is a real safety issue.

I can see this law actually increasing the number of accidents and road rage. I have no idea where these people get their brains at, the Dollar store? The guy that introduced the bill is named Wiener which is fitting considering he also had legislation that reduced from a felony to misdemeanor for knowingly giving AIDS to someone.

Last edited:
One of the first things I thought of was passing big rigs. I like to get around them fast and going around them at a 2MPH difference is a real safety issue.
This foolish law will only create more accidents and kill people. Is that their intention?

This foolish law will only create more accidents and kill people. Is that their intention?
These nuts don’t think about consequences, EVER. Have no business being in charge of a newspaper route much less a state.

Thank goodness this is still a proposal.

But this is California, the state who's agencies publicly admit they simply want to end private transportation. Kaput - nothing but busses, trains and walking.

It's such a tragic irony that CA is where American hot-rodding was born.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back