Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

500 miles

tateintx

Seasoned Member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
2023 CT5-V Blackwing
So I pulled up to my office today at 498 miles. I am too dense to figure out a poll on here, but my question is: Do I listen to the tach and let er' rip at 500 or do I RTFM and stay out of it until 1500?
Miles.jpg

Just curious what everyone else is doing or has done.

If you've gone past 500 mi, then the ECU has given you permission to launch so to speak, but keep these instructions in the back of your mind:

Screenshot_20220725-200303_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg

Screenshot_20220728-070647_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg

so far I followed these rules but I went over 80 at some point, I haven't full throttled it or went over 4k.

These engines are broken in long before they roll off the line. I wouldn't give my car the Italian Tune up in the first 1500 mi but this car is designed for the track. If it says 1500 mi I'd say do your best to restrain yourself but I dont think your going be up shits creek if you didn't.

IMO the worst thing you can do is beat on drivetrain before it's had a chance to come to full operating temp or beat on a car and not give it a chance to cool off before shutting the engine down.

Z06 Corvette with the LT4 required a 500 mile oil change, and I got some decent chunks of metal out of my pan at 500 miles, but if you aren't going to track the car, probably not important.
The Z06 oil change recommendation was due to the dry sump and the material that GM used to fill the system from the factory. It could cause issues down the line. Rather then get a different fluid GM's process was just to change the oil at 500miles which would get rid of anything that was still in there from the factory.

The owner's manual for the 4BW actually says the engine break-in period is 1,500 miles:

Follow these recommended guidelines during the first 1,500 mi of driving this vehicle. Parts have a break-in period and performance will be better in the long run.
  • Avoid full throttle starts and abrupt stops.
  • Do not exceed 4000 engine rpm.
  • Avoid driving at any one constant speed, fast or slow.
  • Do not drive above 129 km/h (80 mph).
multiple people at GM who have had a large hand in the creation/testing/and production of this car have all told us 500 miles and let er eat... I listened to them... it's under warranty, I would rather it break before that goes out haha

I get not hot lapping for two days in a row at a HPD school in the first 1500 miles, but not exceeding 80mph, come on, how am I even supposed to get home without being rear ended here in Texas?

I like the fact that the cars now limit their RPM until they are both broken in and or warmed up (coolant at least on a turbo car it's the oil temp we really need to watch). I always liked that feature on my EBR, especially since I've seen more than one R1 come apart when the owners tried to full send it down the back straight on the out lap of the session.

I get not hot lapping for two days in a row at a HPD school in the first 1500 miles, but not exceeding 80mph, come on, how am I even supposed to get home without being rear ended here in Texas?

I like the fact that the cars now limit their RPM until they are both broken in and or warmed up (coolant at least on a turbo car it's the oil temp we really need to watch). I always liked that feature on my EBR, especially since I've seen more than one R1 come apart when the owners tried to full send it down the back straight on the out lap of the session.
Amen, me on the PGBT trying not to get run over, LOL.. Don't look at the miles..
IMG_4064.jpg

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners