Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

4BW A10 shift flare/hesitation 3-4 shift

Grainofsand

Seasoned Member
I've noticed since day 1, that when the car goes from 3-4th at low to regular speeds, there's some sort of gear slip. At high rpms its fine. Is this normal and does anybody else have this in their A10?

Last edited:
My 5BW A10 shifts solid and firm regardless of load. Of course if I increase load it hits even harder across each gear. No complaints. You mention yours is a 4BW, just figured I’d throw in about my 5BW & A10

I want to say yes. Every time I feel a slight slip at gear change, I look down and it's the 3 to 4 shift.

We've heard this from other CT4-V Blackwing owners as well. It's a minor tuning issue that can be addressed via custom tuning. Please note that we can only tune the TCMs on 2022 models right now, since 2023 and 2024 TCMs haven't been cracked yet.

I feel this from time to time. I also experience a bit of a thump from 3rd to 4th on occasion at ~75% throttle (since day one)

Maybe it's the gearing ratios? Everything is absolutely perfect/healthy as per my dealer

I get a 3-4 shift hesitation on very rare occasions in my 5v 3.0TT and only when trans is cool and throttle is a little more than light. It only happens once in a drive cycle.

We've heard this from other CT4-V Blackwing owners as well. It's a minor tuning issue that can be addressed via custom tuning. Please note that we can only tune the TCMs on 2022 models right now, since 2023 and 2024 TCMs haven't been cracked yet.

With any tune, GM can walk away from a warranty issue if they can prove that this tune contributed to the warranty claim. GM can deny the warranty claim and they expect you won't be able to do anything about it. Don't tune these cars.

With any tune, GM can walk away from a warranty issue if they can prove that this tune contributed to the warranty claim. GM can deny the warranty claim and they expect you won't be able to do anything about it. Don't tune these cars.
Different strokes for different folks. Some people love extra horsepower. :)

Different strokes for different folks. Some people love extra horsepower. :)
I love extra horsepower, but at the expense of voiding my warranty, it's a hard no for me. If I have the car out of warranty, then all bets are off.

I get a 3-4 shift hesitation on very rare occasions in my 5v 3.0TT and only when trans is cool and throttle is a little more than light. It only happens once in a drive cycle.

It seems like not everyone has it. I wonder if it's maybe an underfilled ATF.

Underfilled ATF will certainly increase wear on our transmissions. It would be interesting to measure what comes out of these transmissions during a transmission drain and refill.

Problem is, there is no dipstick and filler tube. Flush and refills are done by a machine hooked to the trans cooler hoses these days.

Problem is, there is no dipstick and filler tube. Flush and refills are done by a machine hooked to the trans cooler hoses these days.
The ol' GM clunker shifter! Let me guess Trans is perfect when accelerator is smashed to the floor? Low RPM casual driving brings out the clunk? Totally, normal with the GM trans my friend especially when COLD or until 180f

I'm no stranger to filling trannies without a dipstick or filler tube. The ole pump n check is what I used on my infiniti. Fill till it spurts and then cap that ho.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back