Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

4BW A10 shift flare/hesitation 3-4 shift

IIRC, the trans also has to be at least a certain temp before checking level.

Just wanted to bump up this thread to see it anyone else noticed a weird slipping feeling going from 3rd to 4th at times. It's starting to make me think that there may be an issue with my car.

Just wanted to bump up this thread to see it anyone else noticed a weird slipping feeling going from 3rd to 4th at times. It's starting to make me think that there may be an issue with my car.

I am still experiencing the occasional shift flare/thump from 3rd to 4th. (flare on partial throttle, thump when getting on it but not 100%)

My game plan is to have the dealer look everything over and swap the transmission fluid for the warm season

Does anyone know the recommended interval for non-tracked A10 cars to swap trans fluid?
Rear diff interval is somewhere around 45k miles. I am sitting @ 20k miles

Last edited:
Are you suggesting that transmission fluid should be changed based on the season?

I am still experiencing the occasional shift flare/thump from 3rd to 4th. (flare on partial throttle, thump when getting on it but not 100%)

My game plan is to have the dealer look everything over and swap the transmission fluid for the warm season

Does anyone know the recommended interval for non-tracked A10 cars to swap trans fluid?

That sounds like the exact issue that I have. I'm curious whether the transmissions were underfilled.

If the transmission was underfilled, I would ask for a new transmission or a 100k warranty extension on the transmission which I doubt they will do.

Are you suggesting that transmission fluid should be changed based on the season?

negative. I want them to put fresh fluid in and verify it is at the correct level before I unapologetically romp on the thing all summer long.

Last edited:

Seeing if you took it into the dealership yet

Seeing if you took it into the dealership yet

I have not had a chance to bring it in yet, but I only feel it about once/twice per drive cycle when the car is warming up. Usually if I try to recreate it intentionally, it still only happens on occasion. Best bet to reproduce it is to short shift it at like 4-5k RPM on the gas and it will feel as if I ran over a small log, with zero other drama or noises. There is no CEL, no warning on the dash, just a "thump", and the occasional slip when barely on the throttle from 3rd to 4th (gentle acceleration).

The sensation does not occur as much (if at all) when the gearbox is over 130*F. This takes me quite a while to achieve (I only make a 2.5 mile commute each direction), and I wonder what the temps looked like back when I was noticing it more frequently. Something tells me this may be partially attributable to user error (sending it too early), so I wanted to give it a few extra miles to evaluate further.

Now for some general brainstorming: If the A10 was truly underfilled, wouldn't the gearbox reproduce the sensation more frequently/severely when under a cornering load (like exiting a sharp turn on throttle)?

Other than that, it could be a solenoid that is receiving insufficient pressure during that shift or even a faulty valve body leading to the slight delay/hesitation, which would occur every single time you shift into 4th in either shift direction (in theory). However, if I give it 100% throttle from 3rd to 4th you would never feel it.

Will assess and provide updates if anything changes

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners