Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Spring Mountain Impressions

Why bring it up? Its like 2 in the chest and one in the head? You believe that, you train for it? You posted it? Relax, take a deep breath and look inward.

Yes I believe it and yes I trained for it, what the f does that have to do with this?

Your not the only one. Be respectful, or mindful of what you causally post that can be misunderstood.

Or don't, and expose yourself.

The instructors have a keen insight into all aspects of the cars and their performance. Pretty sure most of us do not test these cars as much as they do on a daily basis year in and year out. The instructors "selective" quotes, all to often take place as a matter of convenience or argument for a quick post online. I prefer to remember what was said, and judge for myself if its relevant. Or not.

Day 1 done, lots of fun. Rooms are nicer than out rooms at TI and Ceasars. Food is better than expected. The CT4 is stupid capable on track. I did the wet figure 8s in a CT5 and the power is addictive but I can definitely tell it doesn't turn in as well.

Attachments

• 20230503_063120.jpg
    20230503_063120.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 72
What did they say about NLS? Or A10 vs 6M on the track? If your gonna talk on their behalf, then talk on their behalf. What you are saying goes against all engineering GM completed in development.

Talking about the car itself and its engineering CF1 vs none, the rest is driver input...
I was told in no uncertain terms not to NLS by a SM instructor, after he heard it on the launch control runs. He claimed a few cars had new motors, blown up from NLSing for extended periods of time on track. The reasoning was higher EGTs due to spark retard and fuel cut during NLS caused exhaust valves to overheat.

Now that I think about it, NLS was not mentioned a single time during our class.

I was told in no uncertain terms not to NLS by a SM instructor, after he heard it on the launch control runs. He claimed a few cars had new motors, blown up from NLSing for extended periods of time on track. The reasoning was higher EGTs due to spark retard and fuel cut during NLS caused exhaust valves to overheat.

Same here, I was told not to do it anymore either, after doing it for the 3rd to 4th shift on the main straight. They explained that NLS is great but it's hard on the car. Most of our street cars will never see WOT or an occasional track day once a month, where as there cars are on track WOT everyday, all day non stop. Your foot has to be pinned to the floor for it to work right, lots of people do it wrong, and unless you're going to be compensated somehow at the end of the day for a win, it isn't worth the risk and wear for the .o5 of a second it saves per lap. Sounds cool though.

So yeah no NLS in the academy cars.

Same here, I was told not to do it anymore either, after doing it for the 3rd to 4th shift on the main straight. They explained that NLS is great but it's hard on the car.

Once again, my warning is to not listen to the SM instructors when it comes specifically to the engineering and technical aspects of the cars. They don't know what they're talking about. Very clearly. NLS is fine for the engine; GM's lawyers wouldn't have let them put it into the car otherwise. And it's also been available since the second gen CTS-V.

I will agree that doing it on a road course, specially if you don't know what you're doing, is detrimental to your lap time. Most people who attempt to NLS, even if they complete it successfully, upset the car a bit. That "bit" is enough to disrupt the smoothness of the car, which will, as you've hopefully learned, harm your lap time. Purposeful, quick, but smooth shifts are the way to go on the road course. Leave the NLS for the drag strip.

Once again, my warning is to not listen to the SM instructors when it comes specifically to the engineering and technical aspects of the cars. They don't know what they're talking about. Very clearly. NLS is fine for the engine; GM's lawyers wouldn't have let them put it into the car otherwise. And it's also been available since the second gen CTS-V.

I will agree that doing it on a road course, specially if you don't know what you're doing, is detrimental to your lap time. Most people who attempt to NLS, even if they complete it successfully, upset the car a bit. That "bit" is enough to disrupt the smoothness of the car, which will, as you've hopefully learned, harm your lap time. Purposeful, quick, but smooth shifts are the way to go on the road course. Leave the NLS for the drag strip.

All I know is they asked us not to.

The braking aggressively and activating the ABS is also cleared by GM lawyers but it's much harder on the car than normal braking, resulting in increased wear on the whole system.

That's the one area the number 41 disappointed me, it had a lot of judder in under hard braking.

when i went they said you can do it if you want and they didn't care. in the garage segment they also said things that were blatantly not true, like not having to change transmission fluid. the factory manual clearly lays out how often to change it and the rear diff if tracking. their claim was that they don't keep the cars long enough to need to. i got in a car that had over 20k on the clock, which given that nearly all of that was track time would be well in excess of what is outlined in the manual. the instructors may know how to drive very well, especially the SM tracks they are on every day. i wouldn't put a lot of stock in what they say in regards to engineering. when someone in class asked about NLS they didn't even know the conditions required to make it happen.

For the wet figure 8s, there are only 2 cars SM uses. One 4bw and one 5bw, both white. You can pretty much choose which one you want to drive.

How did this come to be? Did you swap cars with someone?
They use two cars for that exercise and on my turn the 5 happen to be the open seat in my group so.

Interestingly enough the blue group, which seems to be the quicker group, was compose of mostly CT4 owners. We only had one CT5 guy in our group.

The green and red groups were pretty evenly split.

Why do they only use two cars ? When I went last December, you used the same assigned car for every event , for both days. I do know that the cars got a bit muddy looking after the wet course. Maybe they just don't like washing all the cars.

Why do they only use two cars ? When I went last December, you used the same assigned car for every event , for both days. I do know that the cars got a bit muddy looking after the wet course. Maybe they just don't like washing all the cars.

Maybe. All the cars seemed pristine, except for the brakes.

They said because of them getting dirty/muddy and the tire wear.

That's the one area the number 41 disappointed me, it had a lot of judder in under hard braking.
Interesting you should mention, I also drove #41 when I was there in February, and it had some pretty bad shaking under hard braking on day 1. I told my instructor about it, and he drove it at the end of the day, confirmed the issue, and had them replace the brakes (pads and rotors) overnight. The problem was gone on day 2.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back