Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Why do Texans get all the Blackwing's?

Commonman

Seasoned Member
This is not a complaint about Sewell Cadillac or any person at that dealer. I'm sure they are a top notch dealer and a great place to buy a car. This is a company policy complaint. I see that Sewell has 41 CT5V Blackwing's on the property or in transit to their dealership. That is probably 4 times the number of CT5V BW that will be delivered to the whole state of Oregon in 2022. Smart money would say call up Sewell and put in an order. But their policy is to only sell to in state customers and out of state buyers tough luck. ( I was told I would be put on a out of state list and when everyone in Texas has bought their BW then I will be considered.) This policy of preferred in state selling sure makes it hard for people in smaller population states to obtain this product from General Motors. And yes I know these are independent dealers and they can do what they want. On the other hand I can order at MSRP a new corvette from several of the top volume dealers in the country from any state in the country. Seems to work well for them and they still keep the locals happy I'm sure.

I think the fact you can choose to have your corvette delivered to the corvette museum makes that particular car not an apples to apples comparison. Dealerships would be foolish to turn down that business if all they do is write it up, take credit, and you take delivery elsewhere.

For your other concerns, I get it but at the same time Cadillac is going to send cars where they are selling. It's not necessarily just a Sewell thing, I'm sure there are other dealers moving similar volume who get allocations just as quickly in other states. We are just more aware of Sewell due to the connection here. It's not just this car, people are experiencing the same issue on things like a corolla for instance. There are also dealerships that won't even do out of county, never mind state. I can't say I agree with it, but I can understand. Especially when they are selling 5BW at MSRP and almost every other dealer around here wants at least 10k over. 4BW last I was aware they are selling to out of state buyers again

Not sure how you thought I got a museum delivery on my C8. I had it courtesy delivery to Oregon which Chevrolet dealers will arrange for out of state sales. I have no problem with certain dealers getting high allocations bases on their sales. Just wish they would sell nationally since they control much of the volume. Heck I would be happy to pick up the car in Dallas and drive it home but I am not given that option.

I didn't say you did museum delivery, I said it's an option. An option not available on the Blackwing duo.

When I saw the list of allocations for the 5BW the state that surprised me the most was Michigan. I get it that TX, CA, NY, and FL have large populations, so a lot of allocations, but Michigan seemed to have an abnormally high amount of allocations for the population of the state. I get why the bias is there, though.

Last edited:
I see that Sewell has 41 CT5V Blackwing's on the property or in transit to their dealership. That is probably 4 times the number of CT5V BW that will be delivered to the whole state of Oregon in 2022.
I suspect some of this is simply that Texas is a LOT bigger than Oregon.

I don't know whether you're referring to Sewell-Dallas or Sewell-Houston. But the DFW and Houston Metro areas combine to have almost 4 times the population of Oregon.

Texas as a whole has 7 times the population of Oregon. (Houston, San Antonio, Dallas, and Austin are the 4th, 7th, 9th, and 11th most populous cities in the US.)

On top of that, Sewell might be getting a disproportionate number of Blackwings within Texas because of their lack of dealer sleaziness. The dealer nearest me told me BWs were $25k over sticker; I just checked their website and it shows 1 (one) CT5-V Blackwing.

This is not a complaint about Sewell Cadillac or any person at that dealer. I'm sure they are a top notch dealer and a great place to buy a car. This is a company policy complaint. I see that Sewell has 41 CT5V Blackwing's on the property or in transit to their dealership. That is probably 4 times the number of CT5V BW that will be delivered to the whole state of Oregon in 2022. Smart money would say call up Sewell and put in an order. But their policy is to only sell to in state customers and out of state buyers tough luck. ( I was told I would be put on a out of state list and when everyone in Texas has bought their BW then I will be considered.) This policy of preferred in state selling sure makes it hard for people in smaller population states to obtain this product from General Motors. And yes I know these are independent dealers and they can do what they want. On the other hand I can order at MSRP a new corvette from several of the top volume dealers in the country from any state in the country. Seems to work well for them and they still keep the locals happy I'm sure.
Sure sounds like you are complaining to me. But that’s fine as I do my share. I admire them selling to only their home base. Shows some loyalty and ethics which is truly lacking at most car dealerships

Last edited:
There’s plenty of other places selling out of state. Sewell might be getting a lot but their line is likely also massive. Even if you could get on their list you’d likely get a car sooner from somewhere else. Look at every ad for the BW. It states limited availability. GM only has so many BW to go around so they’re rewarding dealers. Pretty simple. Would you rather it just be first come first served nationally? At this stage in the game you’d even be further behind that way….

I agree that not allowing out of state buyers a chance to buy a BW at Sewell shows some degree of loyalty to the in state buyer's. Could you explain how that is showing ethics?

I agree that not allowing out of state buyers a chance to buy a BW at Sewell shows some degree of loyalty to the in state buyer's. Could you explain how that is showing ethics?
We can all split hairs/parse about the applied meaning of ethics on various levels;
... but this is what I've observed from Sewell (based on other posters on this forum & of course Dustin) so far*:
1. Selling for msrp
2. Cultivating/respecting ongoing relationships
3. Great service
4. Quality info (for non-clients as well).

(I'd probably have even nicer things to say if they were further away from a certain football team that plays in Arlington😉)... go birds! 🦅
Screenshot_20220612-042251_Chrome.jpg

*coming from an East coast guy that's been waiting close to 11 months since originally placing order (it was July, not August🤦‍♂️) from my own local dealer (that I've been happy with throughout this process/ordeal)

May I ask where did you get that data from? It'd be interesting to compare numbers vs state population, I suspect they align (i.e. there is a somewhat linear relationship) but maybe not.

Here is a breakdown of allocation by state, this is a combination of Rob's registry and information collected of the Cadillac website. Included is the 2022 ranking of each state by population as reported by US States - Ranked by Population 2022

Attachments

• Allocation by State 06-12-22.pdf
    398.3 KB · Views: 164
You put that together? Thank you for that.

Data is incomplete of course, but if you take what's there there does seem to be a moderate bias towards MI and southern states.

Correct, data is not complete only shows cars that I could find that have both an assigned VIN and dealer. Data is based on the state the dealer is located in and does not account for out of state buyers of a specific vehicle.

I meant bias in a statistical way (allocations vs state population), was not trying to pass any judgment. It could even be that folks in the south prefer this car vs other states. I was also in Detroit recently and found interesting how many American brand cars are on the streets vs other cities. So yes, some of it may well be justified, but still the numbers are the numbers.

Doubt a day goes by when out and about in Tennessee I don’t see many Cadillac sedans and/or suvs on the road. More sedans for sure.
The only bias you are seeing is those states sell more Cadillacs. I don’t see what the population of the state has to do with anything.
Allocations are normally 100% based on previous sales numbers.

It could even be that folks in the south prefer this car vs other states.
I found an online list of the the highest-selling vehicle in each state. In Texas it was the Ford F-series. In Oregon it was the Toyota RAV4.

So it looks like Oregon and Texas markets are not an apples-to-apples comparison. Still, that incomplete list showed Texas having 40 times as many allocations as Oregon. That's waaaay out of whack with their respective populations.

My take: Oregon is one of the hellholes where you are not allowed to pump your own gas. I suspect that environment discourages buying thirsty vehicles.

Ok folks lets get back on point. My original complaint (yes it is a complaint) was regarding Sewells policy of not allowing out of state buyers to put in an order for a CT5V BW. No complaints about state population differences or the allocation system rewarding big volume dealers. Thank you Cuse44 for the data you put together. Very interesting. Texas got 46 times (not 10 times as my original WAG) the number of BW than Oregon. If your smart and from Oregon you better start looking for another place to get your car. So you look to Sewell in Texas and they say you can't buy one because your out of state. Thats my only complaint. If they said "you're a man and we only sell to women" that probably wouldn't fly. But for some reason we're all comfortable hearing "well your from Oregon so we can't let you order one hear in Texas"( Heck some people even admire them for that position.) Well it's a limited production, high demand car. So what? You can call Macmulkin Chev or Criswell Chev from any state in the country and they will let you order at MSRP any corvette made by Chevrolet. ( Even limited production models like the Z06, future E-Ray or Zora). I think that's a better business model. At least I'm not from Wyoming, I get to compete for 4 BW this year instead of Wyomings 0. Based on the data my post should have said " Why do Texans deserve to get most of the Blackwing's?"

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back