Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Carbon Fiber splitter and curbs

dstewart51

Seasoned Member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
23' CT4V-BW
For those that have the carbon option 1, anyone have any problems with curbs or driveways? How is the clearance?

No problems at all. I'd say the splitter drags even less than it did on the V3 CTS-V in my experience.

I wouldn't say no problem or, no issue. Wifey took one out already. I drive the car a fair amount on weekends and care must be taken.

I started out as extremely paranoid when I first got my 5BW with CF1/CF2, but after 6 months of ownership, I have now gotten much more comfortable with judging driveway slopes and roadway dips, knowing which ones won't be a problem versus those that require a slow speed and or angle of attack. Also I have gone over some tall speed bumps that I was certain would have scraped but did not. Just took them nice and slow.

In fact, the car has been surprisingly less troublesome in this regard than my Quattroporte the 5BW replaced. One thing that has been a huge help is the parking cameras (which I think came with either my tech or parking package). The front or rear bumper camera automatically comes on when slowly approaching a curb or parking block so I can see on the screen exactly how close I am. That has been HUGE help in keeping the front splitter and rear diffuser from getting damaged.

WAIT - your front bumper camera is automatic??? It was on my V3 but after I took my 5BW to the dealer because it won't activate they thought it was normal...

It's perturbing to have to remember to manually turn it on everytime.

Front camera comes on automatically ~75% of the time for me if there's a curb or parking block. Otherwise I have to press the camera button manually. I've concluded that it's based on a combination of the height of the curb or parking block as well as speed and angle of the car. The angle of approach seems to have the greatest bearing on whether it comes on automatically or not.

Yes, I've notice if I'm parking nose first and there's a car beside me, the sensors will activate the camera. Same spot with no other car and I can put the splitter on top of the curb and the camera still won't activate.

Last edited:
Has not been an issue for me. My front camera activates automatically "most" of the time, but TBH I just back into spots wherever possible as the rear diffuser clearance is much less likely to drag, and the cameras make it really easy to stop in the right spot.

All that said, yesterday I was slowly navigating a speed bump on a parking load exit (sloping down), and grazed the underside of the car (high centered in the middle). Was worried at first I had scraped the carbon on the rockers, but I looked under the car and found that the aero cladding is about 2 inches proud of the carbon rockers on the side. That's what scraped -- no big deal.

Front camera comes on automatically ~75% of the time for me if there's a curb or parking block. Otherwise I have to press the camera button manually. I've concluded that it's based on a combination of the height of the curb or parking block as well as speed and angle of the car. The angle of approach seems to have the greatest bearing on whether it comes on automatically or not.
What if you didn't get CF2 package, does the front camera still works or like C8s it's a separate option? (though I didn't see it when I ordered mine with CF1)

As a Chicago driver, the thought of front lip damage doesn't even cross my mind. I've gotta assume most or many here have driven cars low to the ground before. It's pretty simple to pay attention to the curb as you park. Driveways are approached at angles. This shouldn't be new to you gents.

As a Chicago driver, the thought of front lip damage doesn't even cross my mind. I've gotta assume most or many here have driven cars low to the ground before. It's pretty simple to pay attention to the curb as you park. Driveways are approached at angles. This shouldn't be new to you gents.
Sure but the potential consequence of it being an expensive CF piece that’s in such short supply that it’s keeping people from getting their cars for months ups the ante.

What if you didn't get CF2 package, does the front camera still works or like C8s it's a separate option? (though I didn't see it when I ordered mine with CF1)
At first I thought the surround cameras came with the parking package. But upon checking an order guide I had from late last year, it looks like HD Surround Vision is standard on all 5BWs. So I would assume it works regardless of whether you have the CF package or not.

1648166941551.png

At first I thought the surround cameras came with the parking package. But upon checking an order guide I had from late last year, it looks like HD Surround Vision is standard on all 5BWs. So I would assume it works regardless of whether you have the CF package or not.

View attachment 7803
Awesome. That's what I thought as well but until now I never saw it mentioned that first cam turns on automatically. I've read about it for C8s but for whatever reason none of the reviews or owners ever mentioned it before.

Yes, I've notice if I'm parking nose first and there's a car beside me, the sensors will activate the camera. Same spot with no other car and I can put the splitter on top of the curb and the camera still won't activate.
the surround view camera on our current car comes on automatically when you approach anything - a car in traffic, a curb when parking, the wall in our garage, etc and we love it. But... I believe it is activated by the parking sensors (?), so I'd guess, for those of us under the front/rear park assist constraint (it's on my window sticker), our camera's won't come on until the retrofit.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back