Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

GM to halt production at nearly all North America assembly plants due to new chip problem

General Motors will idle the plants starting Monday for two weeks due to COVID-19 affecting the production of semiconductor chips​

Jamie L. LaReau
Detroit Free Press

General Motors will idle nearly all its assembly plants in North America starting Monday as the COVID-19 pandemic affects production of semiconductor chips overseas.

GM said its Arlington Assembly in Texas, where it makes its highly profitable full-size SUVs, will run regular production next week, along with Flint Assembly, where it makes its heavy-duty pickups, Bowling Green Assembly in Kentucky, where it makes its Corvette, and a portion of Lansing Grand River Assembly, where it will make some Chevrolet Camaro and Cadillac Blackwing cars.

But all other assembly plants in North America will idle starting Monday.

Full Story:

Let's just hope that there's lessons learned here for the future.

When China and/or Russia take over Taiwan we'll be lucky to build anything electronic. God save our Blackwings!

When China and/or Russia take over Taiwan we'll be lucky to build anything electronic. God save our Blackwings!
Russia?? China would NEVER let that happen...

So I wonder which ”portion” of Lansing Grand River will be continuing to run?

I was on the phone today with the owner of a Cadillac dealership and was asking about what else but the Blackwing, and was told the following (paraphrased):

The factory will be shutting down for CT5 production until later in September. Once it resumes, it will be producing CT5-V *non-blackwing* orders from the backlog before moving on to regular CT5 production. Once that’s been underway for a while (not sure how long; until they clear the sold order backlog maybe??) they *may* then go back to producing more Blackwing models.

I’m not presenting the info above as truth, just sharing what I was told directly from a dealer principal.

Macky---I heard and read pretty much the same thing.

I was going to go Saturday and order one. I was quoted 7-8 months. Wonder what it will be now? Between this and the C8 I doubt I'll ever see either

I was going to go Saturday and order one. I was quoted 7-8 months. Wonder what it will be now? Between this and the C8 I doubt I'll ever see either
The same person talked with me about that too. He said he could enter an order for one and said that if I wanted to go that route, he’d be glad to do it but would speak with his rep to get some kind of estimate on delivery prior (once I tell him I’d like to proceed with an order). So he had no idea when it would be and is planning to get an idea of timeframe from Cadillac directly to give to me.

Overall the conversation was pretty discouraging. I’ve talked with a bunch of dealers in the last couple days and they all seem pretty frustrated. The have next to nothing to sell (even beyond specialty cars like the Blackwing) and don’t know when they will. Hard to run their business that way. Another place told me their used car business is the only thing keeping them afloat.

Before I ordered my CT5 Blackwing in early June, I had the dealer contact Cadillac and got an estimated delivery date, which they told me would be Q3, 2021. I’m still at status 1100 and yesterday my dealer relayed from Cadillac that CT5 Blackwing production was down until September 20th. Can’t attest to the accuracy, just what I was told.

Two different dealers told me, GM will build every order they get for Blackwings, it's just no one really knows when they will get delivered. One dealer told me they have NO clue. My dealer told me 120-150 days for delivery and he's pretty confident on that. No sure how he knows, but OK. Add in constraints, and there's no telling.

Ok, I was told that 5 production was slow but 4 was moving along.. I hope so because I'm at 3000 on my CT4 order...

Before I ordered my CT5 Blackwing in early June, I had the dealer contact Cadillac and got an estimated delivery date, which they told me would be Q3, 2021. I’m still at status 1100 and yesterday my dealer relayed from Cadillac that CT5 Blackwing production was down until September 20th. Can’t attest to the accuracy, just what I was told.
May not even produce the 250 by the end of Q3. Let alone deliver. Need @Mirza Grebovic to come talk us off our ledge! At least the goat ropers know they'll get cars, even if they're being delivered by goat!

Dodge just shut down Brampton for the same issues. As much as I want a back wing, I may just bail and grab something sitting on a dealer lot now….

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back