Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

CT5-V 2023 CT5 Blackwing Engine Failure (Shavings)

CT5-V Model
I can tell you that the Cadillac (and other GM dealerships) do track your car by VIN#. They have a computer main access where they can see everything that THEY have done to service your car. I was called to my local dealer to take a police report about some shady guy who had bought a Escalade and was using it as a Uber/Lyft and limousine service. he had been taking the car to many different dealerships to get the brakes pads and rotors replaced "under warranty", claiming premature wear. Somehow he had been rolling back the odometer in the computer and keeping it in warranty mileage. The dealership where I responded was able to see the service records at another dealership and the time and mileage did not match up. They removed the new parts and put the old ones back on . The owner called the police to report the civil dispute. The service tech gave him back the car and sent him on his way. The service tech then told me that they "red flagged" his VIN # so that any other dealer will immediately deny him service.
If you are saying the dealership can put in a request to deny service from all other dealers, then that should be illegal. I don't support the shady guy's dishonesty, but this is a wrong to deny service. Unless of course they are denying service on the brakes.

LOL, I do, the owner is also a car enthusiast, and I'm on the list for a SkyDweller. I'll never see it though...
Obviously you haven’t spent enough money with them on other watch brands. Buy a dozen Tag Heuer watches and you’ll probably move up on the list.

If you are saying the dealership can put in a request to deny service from all other dealers, then that should be illegal. I don't support the shady guy's dishonesty, but this is a wrong to deny service. Unless of course they are denying service on the brakes.
I believe it's to deny warranty work. I'm sure they would gladly accept their cash for paid service.

My car has currently been in the shop for 30+ days as well due to engine oil problems. They’re replacing the pistons, piston valves, and something else to try and fix it. Also the 4th or so time I’ve taken it to them for this problem. I think I’d qualify for the lemon law deal but I’m on the fence about whether it would be easier to just keep driving it and get future issues covered under the powertrain warranty

My car has currently been in the shop for 30+ days as well due to engine oil problems. They’re replacing the pistons, piston valves, and something else to try and fix it. Also the 4th or so time I’ve taken it to them for this problem. I think I’d qualify for the lemon law deal but I’m on the fence about whether it would be easier to just keep driving it and get future issues covered under the powertrain warranty
Just get them to put a new motor in it. Less of a headache if something isn’t sealed right etc.

That stinks! Sorry to hear about you guys have such big problems with these cars.

Just get them to put a new motor in it. Less of a headache if something isn’t sealed right etc.
Would if I could, GM technician made the call to just replace those parts. I guess if they had found something more significant they would have but still couldn't really find what was causing the problem.

I don't think the techs are actually trained to take a motor apart and change the pistons, rings and valves. Thats going to cost more than just dropping in a new motor, given all the labor costs. On my 2018 GT350 bought brand new, it needed a new motor at 6K miles as it was burning 1 quart per 125 miles. I had to do two drive tests to prove it. Each one was 250 miles, and I didn't even open the hood or check the oil. Before that, they did a compression and Leak down test too. After the second drive they finally gave me a new long Block motor. They switched my intake and exhaust onto the new motor and that was it. I'd push for a new motor or buyback.

They said they brought in a special GM tech from Chicago or something. He's been doing diagnostics on it for the past 2 weeks, the dealership themselves had the car for the 2 weeks prior. It was parts vs motor once the tech had gotten there but beyond that it was their call. I'm just the messenger

Ford did that for a while, then gave up and just did long blocks replacements cause they were doing so many. The oil burner block got sent back for an autopsy. They never did publicly say what the problem was. Allegedly it was the rings.

Piston Valve? That's something completely different. They are called engine valves: specifically & intake,exhaust

As for the FERD oil burner yes there were a couple hundred no doubt! PTWA or

Plasma transferred wire arc thermal spraying​

I don't follow FERD but I do understand a few things and it's my impression that PTWA indeed does work very well for coatings as it's a coating nonetheless as it's extremely minimal in deposition thickness. Not sure what ford did or acknowledged publicly to remedy the situation. I can only guess that the coating was ULTRA UBER HARD because they are in nature and completely wore the rings down so fast oil consumption of epic proportions ensued. The other area of concern would be the AL block completely expanding and negating any seal from the rings upon operating temperature. Probably a little a both happened and exacerbated the unforeseen PTWA processing outcomes. Different hardness achieved and sizing of rings with both diameter and thickness can probably remedy these shortcomings.

Last edited:
In the Gen2 350 motor they changed a few things in the block It was also used in the GT500. Ford is very glad that the warranty period on the 350 is just about done now.

I have to admit, I was clueless that there was a oil consumption problem until after purchasing a new GT350 in 2019. Thank goodness the problem was fixed by then. Mine never used a drop of oil.

20231222_123127.jpg

Last edited:
I have to admit, I was clueless that there was a oil consumption problem until after purchasing a new GT350 in 2019. Thank goodness the problem was fixed by then. Mine never used a drop of oil.

View attachment 25986
That's great to hear I am sure they had to go to plan B,C etc. to fix it because I heard it was like a qt every 500mi?

I don't really care for FERD or Mustangs....but for some reason I REALLY like the one you have! That particular model really does it for me.

this doesnt make you guys nervous as hell? way more people in that thread reporting this engine failure/shutdown issue than I've seen on this forum.
Really? I counted 3 actual individual claims of engine failure, and I'm not sure that all 3 were for the LT4.

Maybe I don't know how to use reddit, but that's not enough to concern me. Plus, it's the internet, who knows how much of it is for real?

Any updates here?
Hey Fish. Been fighting like hell but last week they agreed to a buyback. The dealer originally told me they’d be getting me a buyback after 30 days. Then they took it back a week later and said they wouldn’t host it and I didn’t buy the car there so they would just fix it and I’d have to talk to
Cadillac. Went back and forth with Cadillac for 2 weeks over it. They kept telling me they were gonna fix my car etc. I told them no way, I don’t care, buy it off me if the value “isn’t diminished”.

Then they agreed and said my buyback was approved. Dealer calls me 3 days later and says my car is ready to pick up and they want me out of the rental. I told them I don’t want it, but I will pick it up to avoid paying for a rental. That is if they put in writing that it won’t affect my buyback. Buybacks can take 3-5 weeks from what Caddy told me so I do need something to drive. The guy from Caddy Customer care told me my buyback is approved and not contingent on my car being in the shop or not but we will see what they say tomorrow about picking it up.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back