Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Nav System And iPhone Contacts

jvp

Seasoned Member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
2023 CT5-V Blackwing
My 2015 GMC pickup has an older GM "link" nav system in it that does not have Apple Carplay. It does, however, allow me to use my phone's contact list as destinations for the nav system, which is pretty handy. Can the CT[4,5]'s nav do the same? Or do they just expect you to use Carplay for that? I'd much rather use the in-car nav because its response time is snappier, and it always knows where the car is.

Sorry, haven't tried that. I just wanted to chime in and let you know that response time with Android Auto and CarPlay is not an issue with these cars. The only advantage I see with the factory nav is the HUD integration (which my older BMW does for Android Auto/CarPlay...)

Sorry, haven't tried that. I just wanted to chime in and let you know that response time with Android Auto and CarPlay is not an issue with these cars. The only advantage I see with the factory nav is the HUD integration (which my older BMW does for Android Auto/CarPlay...)

Uh, well, not from my use. I have the car. And I've used the OEM nav vs CarPlay. The OEM's is snappier, as is the case with just about any of GM's nav systems. You may not notice the slight lag, and the fact that the phone needs to figure out where it is, which direction it's pointing, etc, but I do notice it. And I'd prefer to use the in-car.

Don't know if it's carrier or phone specific but I have no lag at all with Samsung Galaxy on AT&T. I used to see some small lag on my wife's iPhone but that went away after recent updates.

:)

You're not grokking what I'm saying, and that's fine. I use the same carrier as you and have a fully updated, brand new iPhone. It's not any of the things you're mentioning. It's just a simple fact that phones do NOT always know where they are and there IS absolutely a lag when they're asked to find themselves.

If you're happy with its response time, cool. Keep using it. I'd prefer not to.

No, I'm grokking just fine. There are many rural areas where the antenna on the car which supports the factory navigation is indeed going to work much better than your phone antenna/GPS setup. I live in an area with dense cell coverage where my phone's performance is never worse than the factory antenna. I can put in the same destination in the factory nav vs Android Auto and it doesn't find it faster here in the burbs where I drive. If I were at our rural house on the East Coast I might have enough reason to use the factory navigation over Waze but here in suburban Seattle, not at all.

:)

You're not grokking what I'm saying, and that's fine. I use the same carrier as you and have a fully updated, brand new iPhone. It's not any of the things you're mentioning. It's just a simple fact that phones do NOT always know where they are and there IS absolutely a lag when they're asked to find themselves.

If you're happy with its response time, cool. Keep using it. I'd prefer not to.
You're right about the in-car nav being able to locate the car and orient it quicker than phone nav, though it is only a few seconds difference. But aside from nav directions in the HUD, that's where the advantages end. All three major nav apps on the iphone have better and more up-to-date routing, traffic, POIs, and UI than the built-in nav. And Waze of course has speeds traps and hazards that none of the rest have. I do like the appearance and "cleanness" of the built-in nav, and I use it from time to time. But for most nav use I'm all about the phone apps (90% Waze, 10% Google maps).

Folks -

I'm not some technical neophyte that doesn't understand the benefits of the systems available on the phones. And I don't need to compare/contrast them; that wasn't the purpose of my post. I was merely trying to determine whether there's a bit I missed that allows the phone to share its contacts with the nav? I don't think it's available in the system, but wanted to make absolutely sure.

If "No" is the answer, then cool. "No" it is.

We know Steve. Sir ChubbyChaser.
Donald Trump Lol GIF by Election 2020

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop