Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Extended Warranty

James Black Cadillac In Pennsylvania is very popular amongst Vette and SS sedans folks. Great pricing as I’ve dealt w them in the past. They sell a shit ton of GM extended warranty’s across the country.
I elected not to buy it at the time, but did get a quote from them at purchase and they were way cheaper for the same thing my dealer was offering. I will hit them back up down the line.

Reviving this thread since I had a question around extended warranties.
Anyone found the sweet spot on when to get the extended warranty from someone like james black cadillac?

My understanding is that if you wait too long the price even from someone like james black become too high and if you get it too early it does not add much to your additional warranty. I was thinking of contacting them sometime before my last year on warranty starts.

I paid $2500 for a bumper to bumper 8yr 125k mile warranty with $0 deductible, trip interruption reimbursement and free rental car for an extended warranty offered by my Credit Union. Autotrader offered a similar package on the wife's Grand Wagoneer for $1800

Get the GM extended warranty thru your dealer rep or online, my nickels worth from past experience. The great mystery is exactly at what point in the manufacturer's warranty do you make it a viable option? In reality, most all of the extended warranties are nothing more than a money trap at best.

I've had both GM's and Endurance extended warranty in the past.

Endurance runs a little game with Dealer Service. They will not pay full cost for OEM parts as needed, so they bill the customer the difference on the parts. Dealer then wisely marks the parts price up at full throttle often when OEM parts can be found at a cheaper price. I did the cost comparison on a claim for OEM parts and proved they were trying to gouge me. They refunded me the difference when caught and I threaten to escalate the issue. Never used that dealer service again!

We are paying a monthly premium, plus the difference in 3rd party noncovered cost in parts. Win win for the Dealer and the warranty company. If you argue what's the point in having this warranty? They say, we have our own parts supplier and we will ship parts out to the dealer for the repair and cover it.

Ok great but, shipping often takes 3 or 4 or whatever amount of days to get there and they are often non OEM parts! It's in their small print....Some Overseas spinoff crap! Oh by the way,, we only cover one day rental on that repair!

You again, pay another difference in additional non covered car rental as your car sits in purgatory at the dealer till parts are finally shipped. This particular dealer had a relationship with only ONE car rental joint that would cover that "one day rental" for the dealer. Guess what, they get in on the party as well when its extra days of rental you pay out of pocket! Sorry, they took so long to ship! Pay!

The 2nd time the dealer and the warranty company played that game with me was the last. I canceled Endurance and ended that party. I can throw them under the bus, I have those incidents fully documented with the rights folks!

As for the GM's extended warranty, I never really had any problems' at all. Everything was covered, no extra costs. I just paid a $100 deductible and was done with it. GM warranty for GM products, makes sense. The great question asked by Op is at what point do you pull the trigger on the GM Extended warranty and add it. It does get pricey as your miles and age go up as we know?

Curious to hear folks weigh in on their thoughts as well.

I have always thought the sweet spot is 30-32 months after you have bought the car. It takes 30 days to go in effect so you don't want to wait til the 35th month, so something just before that. Most are sold on a time and miles from purchase basis so buying earlier simply overlaps extended coverage with basic coverage. For instance I bought my extended warranty on my 2016 Z06 bought in Aug of 2016 in early summer of 2019. I bought a 60 month and 60,000 mile extended warranty covering the car out to summer of 2024 and up to 80,000 miles as I had 20,000 miles on the Corvette at the time. I got the $100 deductible and the Platinum coverage and paid $1050 for the extended warranty. So that car still has coverage for another year and is a 2016 model. I sold it in 2022, but the owner paid $50 to transfer that warranty to them. Made the sale a much easier transaction being able to pass on that much warranty.

James Black Cadillac In Pennsylvania is very popular amongst Vette and SS sedans folks. Great pricing as I’ve dealt w them in the past. They sell a shit ton of GM extended warranty’s across the country.
I'll second this. They are very knowledgeable about the extended warranty options available, and in my experience, seemed very honest and helpful in helping me make a buying decision. They also have the best prices. They sell a LOT of GM extended warranties for all GM vehicles. I have purchased two extended warranties from them ('16 Chevy SS, and '18 Yukon Denali), and will consider doing so again for my 5BW when the time comes.

Here's a link to their website.

I'll second this. They are very knowledgeable about the extended warranty options available, and in my experience, seemed very honest and helpful in helping me make a buying decision. They also have the best prices. They sell a LOT of GM extended warranties for all GM vehicles. I have purchased two extended warranties from them ('16 Chevy SS, and '18 Yukon Denali), and will consider doing so again for my 5BW when the time comes.

Here's a link to their website.
Take a picture of your VIN plate and your odometer
I have always thought the sweet spot is 30-32 months after you have bought the car. It takes 30 days to go in effect so you don't want to wait til the 35th month, so something just before that. Most are sold on a time and miles from purchase basis so buying earlier simply overlaps extended coverage with basic coverage. For instance I bought my extended warranty on my 2016 Z06 bought in Aug of 2016 in early summer of 2019. I bought a 60 month and 60,000 mile extended warranty covering the car out to summer of 2024 and up to 80,000 miles as I had 20,000 miles on the Corvette at the time. I got the $100 deductible and the Platinum coverage and paid $1050 for the extended warranty. So that car still has coverage for another year and is a 2016 model. I sold it in 2022, but the owner paid $50 to transfer that warranty to them. Made the sale a much easier transaction being able to pass on that much warranty.
That sounds about right. And yes, it's also mileage dependent. The warranty purchase price increases with the actual mileage on the vehicle at the time of purchase. So it's really a balancing act between time, mileage, and cost. And of course, it's a bit subjective. The perfect balance for one may not be the same for others.

When I purchase a warranty for my 5BW it should be cheaper because of miles...
Perhaps I'm misremembering, but I though the cost was higher with higher mileage. Presumably because a car with higher mileage is more likely to require covered repairs. Now you've got me questioning myself, though. I'm getting to the point that I can barely remember my own name without checking my drivers license, so who knows…. I'll reach out to James Black Cadillac and inquire.

Next year when I purchase a warranty my 5bw will probably have less than 3K miles on her.....

James Black said that they're required to make you take your car to a GM Dealership to verify mileage and that there are no existing issues on all used cars. They sell for nearly twice as much as a "used" car with higher miles than if you purchase it as new. The sales rep told me the following:

5V Blackwing (New) Pricing is:
7yrs 56,000 miles - $1530 ($100 deductible)
8yrs 80,000 miles - $2168 ($100 deductible)
8yrs 100,000 miles - $2667 ($100 deductible) or $3000 for $0 deductible.

- the 8yr 100k miles plan is closer to $4800-5000 if it's "used"
- deductible is per visit not per item, so you can stack a bunch of things together and only have 1 deductible
- 90% of the issues are electrical/programing related, not drivetrain
- he said theirs includes all magnetic ride shocks where as most aftermarkets don't
- fully transferable if sold private party, but if traded in, you get a % refunded back based on time/miles

Last edited:
OK, now my stupid questions.

Your saying used. Do you really used, as in currently sitting on a dealers lot with X miles looking for the second owner? Or used, as in any car not brand new, 0 miles, like most of us here, all ready in service?

Is it 7 yrs/56K miles from new, or additional from when I buy the warranty? Because if it's in addition to, that's 11 years or 106K miles for $1500. My guess, total.

OK, now my stupid questions.

Your saying used. Do you really used, as in currently sitting on a dealers lot with X miles looking for the second owner? Or used, as in any car not brand new, 0 miles, like most of us here, all ready in service?

Is it 7 yrs/56K miles from new, or additional from when I buy the warranty? Because if it's in addition to, that's 11 years or 106K miles for $1500. My guess, total.
New as in New - mine had 148 miles and they counted it because the dealership still hadn't put it through to the GM system (~30 days) but if it's showing sold and has a couple hundred miles on it, he said that GM considered it used.

It's years and miles from the date it went into service, not from when you purchase it. So your default bumper to bumper is 4yrs 50k miles so you're buying an extra 3yrs, 6k miles or 4yrs 50k miles on top of the original.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back