Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

CT5 V Actual Crank HP

Ty88

Seasoned Member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
2023 CT5 V Blackwing
Does anyone know the actual crank HP for the CT5 V Blackwing? I suspect they publish 668 because it would be political suicide for a Cadillac to have more HP than the current corvette which is published to be 670. Anyone know?

You would have to add back in the assumed loss, but I believe @WONT TAP has some baseline dyno pulls on the CT5BW.

You would have to add back in the assumed loss, but I believe @WONT TAP has some baseline dyno pulls on the CT5BW.

Yes but RWHP results I have seen are all over the map, ranging from 550 to about 630. Where can I find the results you mention?

Yes but RWHP results I have seen are all over the map, ranging from 550 to about 630. Where can I find the results you mention?
Here is one result. Looks like 620whp stock for this one.

And another one at 619whp

I’d suspect dyno variation to be the culprit there. As was mentioned above, one of the SAE standard requirements is random motors off the line are subjected to testing.

Here is one result. Looks like 620whp stock for this one.

And another one at 619whp
Ok thanks.

Using the 620 RWHP number and assuming 17% drivetrain loss, the crank HP is 747.

Assuming 25% drivetrain loss, the crank HP is 827.

Additionally, if we assume the published 668 crank HP is correct AND the 620 RWHP is accurate, this equates to only a 7.2% drivetrain loss which, in reality, is probably too low even for the manual trans.

So, maybe the 5 V Blackwing makes quite a bit more than 668 crank HP??

Ok thanks.

Using the 620 RWHP number and assuming 17% drivetrain loss, the crank HP is 747.

Additionally, if we assume the published 668 crank HP is correct AND the 620 RWHP is accurate, this equates to only a 7.2% drivetrain loss which, in reality, is probably too low even for the manual trans.

So, maybe the 5 V Blackwing makes quite a bit more than 668 crank HP??
I think you typically only see 25% loss in AWD applications, but I would think 12-15% or so would be a reasonable number.

We believe actual Blackwing drivetrain loss is in the 8 to 10% range. The lower number would be for cars with manual transmissions.

We believe actual Blackwing drivetrain loss is in the 8 to 10% range. The lower number would be for cars with manual transmissions.
Wow that is really low. How did you calculate those numbers?

Wow that is really low. How did you calculate those numbers?
We have the best dyno in the business, and we've done hundreds of baselines.

Just watched this Hennessy video:

They claim 1,000 HP crank & 840 RWHP which equates to 16% drivetrain loss. Don't know if auto or manual though.

Its a SAE rating so the days of under or over published power are long gone. I think the margins are +/- 1%
Kind of. You can publish the horsepower over a range versus the peak. The bmw b58 is way underrated in actual power bc of this.

Kind of. You can publish the horsepower over a range versus the peak. The bmw b58 is way underrated in actual power bc of this.
I don't believe the Germans SAE rate their engines. With SAE you know what you're getting, with the Germans you basically assume the stated horsepower is actually WHP or is guaranteed if you drove the car on Mount Everest or on the moon based on history.

Yup. My stock B58 with a high flow downpipe and intake dyno'd at 338hp / 365lb-ft (avg of 2 dyno runs), no tune. BMW rated it at 320hp / 330lb-ft. And mine was AWD with a manual.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back