Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Anyone Foul an RR12YS Plug in 7000 miles?

1BadTundra

Seasoned Member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
2022 CT4 BlackWing
I was on the highway heading into work this morning, and a new Accord pulled up. He was doing that jump forward, fall back thing at least 5 times... The next time, we were doing about 65mph, I bumped down to 3rd and was waiting for him to bump it again. When he did, I stood on the pedal... We were at about 115, I was in 6th gear (A10), and again dash lights up, check engine comes on, I know the drill, misfire code. WTF?!?! JB4, MAP 1, RR12YS plugs and getting the same fouling I was with OEM plugs a few months ago. I don't beat this car, I've had it about 16 months, 12,000 miles, installed the JB4 and plugs shortly after at about 5500 miles. What could be the problem here?
Before the street racing police show up, it was 3:50am, 4 lane highway and this guy ran up on me, no one in front of us as far as I could see. He was asking for it, I wasn't about to let him walk. Instead, my car fell flat on its face and that dude walked away on me. Not exactly how I saw it play in my head..

Not playing the street racing police but, an Accord? I don’t know that an Accord would tempt me like that. It’d have to be something more worthy than that. Anyways, an unfortunate out come as now the Accord owner will be telling anyone who will listen how he gapped a Blackwing. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Were you sure to use plenty of dielectric grease in the coil boot ends during installation?

Not playing the street racing police but, an Accord? I don’t know that an Accord would tempt me like that. It’d have to be something more worthy than that. Anyways, an unfortunate out come as now the Accord owner will be telling anyone who will listen how he gapped a Blackwing. 🤦🏻‍♂️
It sad really, def not my proudest momnet

Were you sure to use plenty of dielectric grease in the coil boot ends during installation?
I used tons of dielectric grease when I installed them... Just to be sure. I'm pulling them tomorrow to verify the gap and see if there is any trace of burned spots or any other indication of fouling or grounding. Is there any harm in closing the gap a bit? I feel like I checked them at .028 when I initially installed them.

I used tons of dielectric grease when I installed them... Just to be sure. I'm pulling them tomorrow to verify the gap and see if there is any trace of burned spots or any other indication of fouling or grounding. Is there any harm in closing the gap a bit? I feel like I checked them at .028 when I initially installed them.
Yes, check the gaps and look for carbon tracking. No harm in a smaller gap though. We run .016" in our Brown Belt cars.

I was planning on going the same route but now I'm afraid I'll lose to my son in the Civic Si I got him!

I was planning on going the same route but now I'm afraid I'll lose to my son in the Civic Si I got him!
LoL, tread lightly brother... It makes for a sad day.

• Sad
Reactions: RKS
LoL, tread lightly brother... It makes for a sad day.
I'm counting on you to diagnose and resolve this issue. Do you think it could have anything for do with the A10 vs. the M6?

Ok all, here what I've found. All 6 Brisk plugs were gapped wrong out of the box. I found gaps from .030-.036. I closed them all to .024, cleaned them up and took her out for a shake down ride. She idles smoother, and fuggin' rips all the way up to 126mph before I shut her down. I think it's all cleared up now.
There was no arc-markings, as I used a ton of dielectric grease, and reapplied when reinstalling them. I think we're good there.
The last observation is what is concerning... The front plug (closest to the front of the car) in each bank had a little bit of oil on the tips and ends of the plug threads. Could that be from the fouling when I was driving it? The other 6 looked perfect. What could this be from?

Not sure if you have a 4 or a 5. Any forced air induction car is extremely hard on plugs and the manufacturers recommendation of 100k is a joke. Plugs should be changed at a minimum of every 20k-25k. If the car is running a hard tune, every 10k is in order. My other car, as I've stated many times, is dyno tuned. I change plugs every 10k, even though GM states 100k. Otherwise i get a CEL. And many of my friends who don't have tunes, change their plugs every 10-15k.

Not sure if you have a 4 or a 5. Any forced air induction car is extremely hard on plugs and the manufacturers recommendation of 100k is a joke. Plugs should be changed at a minimum of every 20k-25k. If the car is running a hard tune, every 10k is in order. My other car, as I've stated many times, is dyno tuned. I change plugs every 10k, even though GM states 100k. Otherwise i get a CEL. And many of my friends who don't have tunes, change their plugs every 10-15k.
I get it, but 7000 is premature... It's a 4BW. I did find the gaps to be way too big, re-gapped and it feels 100% better on the butt Dyno. My only concern now is the oil I found on the front plug on each bank. The other 4 looked perfect. Could a fouled plug kept unburned gas build up in the chamber and that mixed with carbon gave a oil/gas looking fluid on those 2 plugs?

I've owned eight forced induction cars, currently have two, and this is nonsense to me.

I've owned eight forced induction cars, currently have two, and this is nonsense to me.
Agreed. My tuned BMW's with 600+ crankhp used stock plugs at stock gap and lasted a long time. Stock coils never needed to be changed. The ignition system on these Blackwings is absolutely piss poor. That's the one thing the Germans do in fact do better.

I've had a few myself, never big HP though... Spark plugs were really never an issue, certainly not after 7000-ish miles

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back