Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Any concerns with installing a simple battery disconnect in a 5Wing?

revvhigh

Seasoned Member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
CT5-V Blackwing
My 5Wing does a lot of sitting in storage for weeks at a time, it's my 7th vehicle lol. (1 year of ownership, 800mi on the odometer so far.)

There is no electrical hookup at the storage location, so a battery tender is not feasible.

On some of my other vehicles that I store, I use one of these very simple quick battery disconnects on the negative battery post to prevent the battery from running down for a few months while in storage. But, my other vehicles are a '57, a '63, an '82, and a '98. Whole different era of simpler electronics (or no electronics at all, heh.)

I understand that the 5Wing is a whole 'nother level of sophisticated circuitry versus my classics. Is there any reason it would be a terrible destructive idea to meddle with this modern car by throwing one of these on the neg battery post and cranking it off when stored?

Attachments

• 71gDu4iEO-L._AC_SX679_.jpg
    71gDu4iEO-L._AC_SX679_.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 43
The car can be put into transport mode which stops most of the electrical drain on the battery. As I understand this is what GM does with their cars while they are sitting in the goat pen. I'm not familiar with the process but it may be a different option for long term storage without needing to purchase additional parts.

Transport Mode

Transport Mode is designed to reduce the parasitic load of some modules during shipping and/or during vehicle storage. Some features may be disabled or have reduced functionality while Transport Mode is ON. Transport Mode is enabled and disabled by either of the following methods:

· With the Scan Tool Diagnostics > Body Control Module > Control Functions > Power Mode.

· Turning the hazard flashers ON, apply and hold the brake pedal, then press and hold the ignition mode switch for greater than 15 s. For vehicles equipped with a DIC a message Transport Mode On when it is enabled and Transport Mode Off when it is disabled will be displayed for a predetermined amount of time. For vehicles equipped without a DIC, the battery indicator light will constantly flash on the Instrument Cluster when Transport Mode is enabled.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back