Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Catch can install?

1BadTundra

Seasoned Member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
2022 CT4 BlackWing
A buddy was in in his car behind me yesterday, he said some black smoke came out from the exhaust when I got into it some. It got me wondering if we need catch cans on these cars. Any thoughts?

You shouldn't (already has one) ... but may have varying thoughts depending on mods... search "catch can" (use quotes) and I think you'll find a whole bunch of the info that you are looking for. 😉

Last edited:
I just completed the Elite Engineering E2X catch can install for my 5BW a week ago, and with only 1,300 miles the SC intake was already covered with oil. I am doing a 1,500 mile break-in (Yes I know it is only 500 miles. I'm anal, and plan to track it) and have not broke 4k RPM yet. Even with never going full throttle there was a lot of oil. I would recommend a catch can install to everyone with a Blackwing CT4 or CT5. If this much oil was on top of the blower at 1,300 miles imagine what the valves will look like at 30,000 miles.

The install was pretty simple. Hit me up if you want the torque specs and order for the bolts on the SC cooling cover and for the SC. I attached some pics of the SC intake cover removed to show the oil on top of the blower. Also I did not have to cut any factory lines. There is a great guy on you tube that I got all the connectors needed not to cut the factory lines. Look for Garage King on you tube. He has all the information you need to keep from cutting factory lines on the 5BW. If you use the Elite engineering PCV diverter you will have to file down part of the barbed end. They said they are fixing this.... but I don't believe them. It seems to have been an LT4 issue for a while, and they have not fixed it.

Also during this install you can remove the 3 plates on the top of the SC cooling cover that act as sound deadeners, as in eliminating super charger whine. Free mods are great! I haven't broken 4k RPM yet to really test it, but many of the ZL1 and Z06 folks have posted about this mod. They only have one plate though, I guess we get three to keep the Cadi free of ALL NVH possible.

Lastly someone mentioned the BW has a built in catch can. Well that is kinda true, but it is more like a clean side separator. GM actually calls it the "external PCV oil separator tank", and it filters the fresh air, but the dirty air from the PCV is dumped directly into the top of the SC.

Attachments

• PXL_20230213_014919398.TS_exported_8361.jpg
    PXL_20230213_014919398.TS_exported_8361.jpg
    291.6 KB · Views: 160
  • PXL_20230212_195144920.TS_exported_16872.jpg
    PXL_20230212_195144920.TS_exported_16872.jpg
    289 KB · Views: 158
I have a catch can on my Challenger 5.7 HEMI. I have to manually empty it at every oil change and I get about 2 shot glasses of oil out of it. After 36,000 miles of driving , I have collected 20 ounces of oil ! If there is an "internal" catch can, how does it get emptied ? Post a picture of what your placement of a catch can in your 5BW looks like. Thanks.

@JoeLuck Is this a BW specific catch can or LT4 unit that you made work? I emailed Steve a few months ago about a LT4 BW piece and after a little back and forth the thread went dead.

@JoeLuck Is this a BW specific catch can or LT4 unit that you made work? I emailed Steve a few months ago about a LT4 BW piece and after a little back and forth the thread went dead.
Yes Steve is USELESS! I had to point him in the direction of the kit I wanted and it still took forever for him to get it all aligned. In the end the item number I purchased was E2X-A1DVP20. Hopefully this will help you get exactly what you need.

Don't let him talk you into the clean side separator. I fell for it, and after doing some research in the shop manual learned the 5BW comes with something similar stock.

Also reach out to Garage King! These connectors to not cut the factory lines are GREAT!

I have a catch can on my Challenger 5.7 HEMI. I have to manually empty it at every oil change and I get about 2 shot glasses of oil out of it. After 36,000 miles of driving , I have collected 20 ounces of oil ! If there is an "internal" catch can, how does it get emptied ? Post a picture of what your placement of a catch can in your 5BW looks like. Thanks.

Yeah with any direct injected engine I would not go without a catch can. Put on on my ATS-V and same as you had about 1-2 ounces of oil every oil change. I would have about 2-3 ounces from one track day.

I attached pics of the almost finished product. I need to clean up the routing of the lines and put some heat shrink over the ends of the lines to cover the frayed black nylon and SS braiding from the cuts, but it is good for now.

Attachments

• PXL_20230228_163147469.jpg
    PXL_20230228_163147469.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 264
  • PXL_20230228_163154485.jpg
    PXL_20230228_163154485.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 236
  • PXL_20230228_163204672.jpg
    PXL_20230228_163204672.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 236
Awesome stuff, thanks for posting bud. I have a new project!

Awesome stuff, thanks for posting bud. I have a new project!
Good luck! Let me know if you need any help with the torques, tightening order, or anything else!

I think if you added any details not already part of this thread (torque specs for instance), it would be appreciated by anyone looking to add a catch can, including me.

My Billet Tech catch can was a simple install on my Challenger. Just needed to pick a convenient spot for access. It takes me less than 5 minutes to unscrew , empty, replace. It only has two lines (in/out). Your photos looks like it's in a tight spot . Is it a pain to empty ?

Attachments

• IMG_20140929_114213_813.jpg
    IMG_20140929_114213_813.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 104
I think if you added any details not already part of this thread (torque specs for instance), it would be appreciated by anyone looking to add a catch can, including me.
The torque specs are tighten in sequence to 89 in/lbs two times. It is the same spec for both the blower cover and the blower itself. I am not sure if I can share screen shot of the sequence in the forum. I have heard sites get flagged for that, but let me know if I am wrong.

My Billet Tech catch can was a simple install on my Challenger. Just needed to pick a convenient spot for access. It takes me less than 5 minutes to unscrew , empty, replace. It only has two lines (in/out). Your photos looks like it's in a tight spot . Is it a pain to empty ?
Now your just showing off!! That engine bay is DOPE!! I haven't had to drain it yet, but it shouldn't be too bad. There is a simple valve to turn at the bottom of the elite catch cans. I would just have to put a cup under it to catch whatever comes out.

1677614144440.png

My catch can on my ATS-V was similar. I just have to make sure whatever cup I use is big enough to not overflow. The elite kit also came with a hose to remotely locate the drain somewhere else. I didn't use it yet though. I want to confirm how fast the can fills up. Once I confirm I can just drain at oil change interval I will place the hose under the car somewhere to drain during oil changes.

Now I'm showing off ! The engine bay has blue LED lights for night car shows. My 5BW is in storage for the winter. Next time I visit , I will check to see wear I can easily install a catch can. I downloaded Elite Engineering website. Can you post a photo of where your hoses are attached, away from the catch can. I see that some catch cans have only 2 hoses and others have three. Thankx.

Attachments

• DSC00129.JPG
    DSC00129.JPG
    855.4 KB · Views: 90
Now I'm showing off ! The engine bay has blue LED lights for night car shows. My 5BW is in storage for the winter. Next time I visit , I will check to see wear I can easily install a catch can. I downloaded Elite Engineering website. Can you post a photo of where your hoses are attached, away from the catch can. I see that some catch cans have only 2 hoses and others have three. Thankx.
Can I upload videos on here. It will probably be easier to show using a video. Also if you watch Garage kings video on Youtube for the LT4 install it explains it all really well.

High level there is an input port in the middle that comes straight from the PCV valve under the blower. There are two output ports on the catch can. One goes directly to the throttle body and the other goes to the PCV line on the CAI.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back