Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

CT4-V What to get after blackwing? <55K USD

Cadillac CT4-V model
There's a reason you bought the Blackwing.. because it checked off so many of the right boxes at its price point. The way I see it, the only way you will get a different but equally entertaining driving experience at $55k will be with a used 981 Cayman or Boxster.

They are light and balanced machines, providing a great driving experience on tight roads. They drive differently from the Backwing as you can't easily get their asses out, but the way they tuck into a turn with the mid engine balance is very nice. Build quality is superb, sound is incredible. Power with an S model is "enough" to enjoy those tight, twisty roads. Also they are actually very reliable cars. I never had any issues during my ownership. I owned a 2014 S, sold it during the pandemic price spike for a good profit, then regretted it. Ultimately, I have two kids under 10 and so the BW (which I'm waiting for) will allow me to take them with me on fun drives. Otherwise, I'd try and source another Cayman.

Not sure you can find any Porsche 718’s in that price range but that would be another good option.

The way I see it, the only way you will get a different but equally entertaining driving experience at $55k will be with a used 981 Cayman or Boxster.
The 718 and 981 are something I was shopping for quite a while . And a couple of issues for me.

For 55k all I can get is a 10 year old 981 s or a base 718. I don’t like the 718 4 cylinder at all. So the 718 I want is the gts which is a 100k. So I ll be getting a 10 year old car instead of the blackwing. I dont think that makes too much sense for me.

Also Porsche maintenance post warranty is terrifying. With the blackwing or other gm products I can get a 10 year warranty for the cost of a Porsche oil change.

TLDR I love Porsches but the ones I want are too expensive and the ones I can afford are not that special and have astronomical ownership costs.

C7 Grand Sport would be another option. Personal preference, but I'd probably take a lightly used Mach1
I started looking for grand sports. There are so few of them out there for sale. Esp late model year, manual and low miles and there are basically none. That would have fit the bill quite nicely.

The Mach 1 is tempting but apart from the v8 I feel the blackwing is better in most respects(ride and handling). I test drove an automatic and the interior is atrocious at that price range.

I started looking for grand sports. There are so few of them out there for sale. Esp late model year, manual and low miles and there are basically none. That would have fit the bill quite nicely.

The Mach 1 is tempting but apart from the v8 I feel the blackwing is better in most respects(ride and handling). I test drove an automatic and the interior is atrocious at that price range.
Sometimes I regret selling my 2019 C7 Grand Sport Convertible with M7. I ordered it new just the way I wanted. The one thing I really like about Corvettes is how well they hold their value. The 4BW is a much better all around vehicle and performance is similar. On the track the C7 GS is sharper but I don't miss the cost of those 20" Michelins though. That is another benefit of the 4BW rocking the 18" PS4s. ~$1,150 for set on the 4BW vs. $2,250 a set for on the C7 GS. The Magride in the 4BW is better than the C7s as well. I also don't miss getting in and out of it. :)

I do the same as you. I always keep looking for my next car since I get bored and want to try different cars but I don't think you are going to find a better bang for the buck sport sedan. If you trade to a true sports car with a dedicated chassis it may perform a little better but you will have to make compromises.

The Mach 1 S550? Yeah, they have the look but the chassis "Pales" the Alpha 2 owns it in spades. Unfortunately, FERD couldn't touch the chassis because of EV spend and the S650 is same ol' second fiddle garbage to Alpha 2

I’ve had two 350 mustangs and the 4BW handles better and is far more agile, lots more settings for the chassis adjustments on the BW than the 350. Also the flat plane crank in the 350 engine and other factors, make it unlikely to keep going. I think Ford was elated on the day they didn’t have to replace and more of those engines due to warranty claims. Especially the accountants. Just keep your 5 BW and find something to keep the wife happy so she forgets about it.

I don't think you are going to find a better bang for the buck sport sedan. If you trade to a true sports car with a dedicated chassis it may perform a little better but you will have to make compromises.
Interesting thing is I don’t think it’s limited to just sport sedans. Leaving aside practicality there are other compromises with the sport cars. The mustang dark horse and m2 for example are as heavy or heavier than the blackwing and handle worse. The c8 compromise is lack of a manual and surprisingly lack of theater(non z06). The Porsche compromise is running costs and buying a 10 year old car.

The blackwing is truly a hard car to replace if you’re looking in the same price range.

Interesting thing is I don’t think it’s limited to just sport sedans. Leaving aside practicality there are other compromises with the sport cars. The mustang dark horse and m2 for example are as heavy or heavier than the blackwing and handle worse. The c8 compromise is lack of a manual and surprisingly lack of theater(non z06). The Porsche compromise is running costs and buying a 10 year old car.

The blackwing is truly a hard car to replace if you’re looking in the same price range.

Yep, I find myself struggling as well. That is why I like the idea of a small lightweight car but even those are expensive now for what you get.

Like the Toyota corolla whatever it is GS something 50k+ lol
Exactly, those souped up Hondas, Acuras and Toyota Corollas are supposed to be like $30-35k. :)

Yep, I find myself struggling as well. That is why I like the idea of a small lightweight car but even those are expensive now for what you get.
Expensive and a step down in power. The Miata, 86 twins are too slow for me now.

Expensive and a step down in power. The Miata, 86 twins are too slow for me now.
I hear you but the charm of those cars is that you can wring them out a bit more on the street without risking your license. We have to shut the party down pretty quick on our 4BWs. The happiest group of drivers always seem to be on the Miata forum.

I hear you but the charm of those cars is that you can wring them out a bit more on the street without risking your license. We have to shut the party down pretty quick on our 4BWs. The happiest group of drivers always seem to be on the Miata forum.
With the Miata the convertible aspect plays a part too.

The 4bw is not too bad power wise for the street. The shorter gearing helps too. The zl1 etc is what feels like overkill on the street. 2nd gear and I’m in jail.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back