Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

PSA: Setting Expectations - Condition of your paint may disappoint you, but a paint correction/ceramic coat and a good detailer will fix your problem.

The whole premise of this post is a joke isn't? This can't seriously be the bar that Cadillac accepts for their top of the line performance sedan. Just to refresh your memory if you forgot :
"The part of my job that I don't love to do...... Disappoint my customers and it this case, everyone else's customers as well.... However, I do always want to be transparent and set expectations properly...

As these vehicles sit for months in the land of the goats, the clearcoats/finish take a beating. I posted several photos of a couple of the last CT5-V's that have showed up, below...

Whether its from the weather, rail dust blowing in the air or being improperly washed prior to being shipped out, or all of the "above," its disappointing that a brand new vehicle would show up like this. While it doesn't make it better, my research, talking to people who work sell other brands, including even Ferrari, are having many of the same types of issues.....

A new process needs to be found. We are documenting every single vehicle that comes in. Photos before the shipping wraps are removed to photos/videos after and working directly with the manufacture showing them the problems on them and how much it cost's to get the vehicle back to a condition that is acceptable or better.

Keep in mind that while it is not the fault of the customer, it's also not the fault of the dealer. Please do not be upset with your dealer if your vehicle arrives in a condition similar to those seen below. Not every car shows up in this shape and its been more prevalent on the CT5-V Blackwings than the CT4-V Blackwings as the turn around time on the 4's has typically been less.

In the event a vehicle shows up in this condition, you should expect a $1500-$3,000 paint correction cost if the vehicle is a light color and $2,500-$5,000 if the vehicle is Black Raven.

Moving forward, until this problem is resolved, all customers that have an order with me who have Black Raven as there exterior color choice will be required to sign a document stating that they have been notified of the current production/manufacture problem and that if they decide to move forward with Black Raven , the understand that a paint correction/ceramic coat will likely be needed in order to bring the vehicle to the condition they expect or should be.

To be clear, we will not be forcing any customers to purchase a paint correction/ceramic coat, however, we will not be providing it at no charge either. All customers will have the choice to cover the paint correction/ceramic costs or not purchase the vehicle. Should a customer not want to take possession of their vehicle because they do not want to purchase a paint correction/ceramic coat, we will work with Cadillac on trying to expediate a new order, however, there is no guarantee that it will be fast or that it wouldn't be the same on the next vehicle..

For any vehicle is not purchased by the original ordering customer, we will apply a paint correction/ceramic coat and then make the vehicle available for purchase to another customer who has an order in with us. The cost of the paint correction/ceramic will be added to the vehicle's final purchase price.

We have been successful in bringing the vehicles to better factory condition with the paint correction/ceramic. Regardless of condition from the factory, my personal opinion is that a full paint correction/ceramic should be a requirement on any Black exterior vehicle as its a completely different car afterwards...

I recommend that everyone here take a look at @Kimkeys99 's post by clicking here. It includes before/after photos /video.... The photos of the black vehicle below were his...

I am unsure at this time if we will take orders for the future limited Maverick Noir Frost as you would not be able to correct issues like this without a full repaint. I have high hopes and feel confident that GM will be able to get this issue resolved in a timely manner. Its been a challenge for all manufactures for the past couple years and they just need to find a new process / adapt to make sure this doesn't continue to happen. I know they care greatly but you cant fix a problem if you don't know it exists.... We have made them aware.. I will do my best to update you all on any progress made.." Not blaming Dustin. He say's a new process needs to be found. OK??? That was on June 27, 2022. Many new processes need to be found in multiple areas. Could Dustin or anyone at Cadillac who might lurk on this forum tell us what has been done in the last 6 months to address subpar paint and schizophrenic delivery processes. If anyone would like to make an uncomfortable phone call to a upper level manager telling them to get their sh!t together I and a bunch of other folks would appreciate it. P.S. Happy New Year everyone. This really is a good group and hopefully we will all get the Blackwing's we ordered sooner than later.

It may not be the dealer’s fault, but it is 100% their responsibility since they are the seller of the product to the consumer.

If the car rolled off the truck with a smashed fender or broken windshield or other artifact of the post-build shipping/handling process, you can be dang sure I would hold the dealer responsible for the repair. Why would the dealer consider the paint to be different?

American Horror Story Reaction GIF by AHS

I just bought a new built house. Right before you take the house you do a walk through and mark all the walls to be touched up, make sure it has all the options you asked for - if it doesn’t, then the builder fixes/paints it. If I order an item on Amazon and it comes with blemishes, then u return it for a new one or the seller fixes it. I still scratch my head how we have to accept subpar paint (my black one came with scratches, swirls, dirt painted over, etc) but due to the limited nature of this car, we just accept it. still poor GM quality.

My car had a scuffed taillight, dealer replaced it.
I had a flaw in my interior CF trim, they provided me a replacement and let me swap it myself.

It all really comes down to what the main complaint is.
Most swirls/scratches are probably done by the dealers detail shop before delivery.
But if you see an issue, bring it up to the dealer.
If you accept a car with flaws and don't say anything, that's on you.
If the issue is clearly in the paint or an obvious defect, and the dealer says tough luck, go to another dealer.

Ask the head goat herder if he thinks that's acceptable and why?
I really think you should just get another brand/car because IMHO there is going to be no pleasing you....I wonder what's going to be said when you get your car and all the problems with it... Cadillac/GM is not the only brand with paint problems, is it acceptable, no but if you demand perfection you are going to pay a lot more for a different brand...

Maybe I'm not crying about the paint on my cars because I always have them paint corrected from the start so for me this is normal.... I know that if I found a problem with my car my dealer/Sewell would take care of it...... How do I know this, because it has happened...

Again, just go get a Corvette and have it in 3 months....

I really think you should just get another brand/car because IMHO there is going to be no pleasing you....I wonder what's going to be said when you get your car and all the problems with it... Cadillac/GM is not the only brand with paint problems, is it acceptable, no but if you demand perfection you are going to pay a lot more for a different brand...

Maybe I'm not crying about the paint on my cars because I always have them paint corrected from the start so for me this is normal.... I know that if I found a problem with my car my dealer/Sewell would take care of it...... How do I know this, because it has happened...

Again, just go get a Corvette and have it in 3 months....

That may be a bit harsh..it’s sad to get such a special car delivered in this poor condition. Not only that, but it adds insult to injury to have to pay an ADM (as I did) only to have to pay someone else to fix the paint (as I did). I can tell you that since this will likely be the last manual Cadillac, it will likely be the one and only Cadillac that I ever buy. I’m happy that I have my car and that it’s now perfect. I’d rather pay more upfront to not have to deal with it — something that I suspect GM won’t ever be able to deliver.

Either way, this will only be an issue as long as the demand outstrips supply…and that ship has started sailing…after that, the prices will just come down accordingly 🤷‍♂️

Happy New Year!!

Tall goat herder in chief you are stuck in "Just quit talking about Cadillac issues and get the hell out of here land". You cannot bring yourself to answer my question. I'm glad you have the $ to paint correct all your vehicles regardless of condition of original paint. That should not be the expectation of Cadillacs standard buyer. Sounds like you might have a sweetheart deal at Sewell based on your quote" I know that if I found a problem with my car my dealer/Sewell would take care of it...... How do I know this, because it has happened.." That sounds like a Wonderfull deal for you but here is what Dustin told the rest of his customers. To quote Dustin at your special dealer "In the event a vehicle shows up in this condition, you should expect a $1500-$3,000 paint correction cost if the vehicle is a light color and $2,500-$5,000 if the vehicle is Black Raven" and " to be clear, we will not be forcing any customers to purchase a paint correction/ceramic coat, however, we will not be providing it at no charge either. All customers will have the choice to cover the paint correction/ceramic costs or not purchase the vehicle." So I ask you again respectfully do you think this is acceptable and if so why? We are looking for leadership here.

My car had a scuffed taillight, dealer replaced it.
I had a flaw in my interior CF trim, they provided me a replacement and let me swap it myself.

It all really comes down to what the main complaint is.
Most swirls/scratches are probably done by the dealers detail shop before delivery.
But if you see an issue, bring it up to the dealer.
If you accept a car with flaws and don't say anything, that's on you.
If the issue is clearly in the paint or an obvious defect, and the dealer says tough luck, go to another dealer.
It all sounded good until your last sentence. Go find another dealer???

Tall goat herder in chief you are stuck in "Just quit talking about Cadillac issues and get the hell out of here land". You cannot bring yourself to answer my question. I'm glad you have the $ to paint correct all your vehicles regardless of condition of original paint. That should not be the expectation of Cadillacs standard buyer. Sounds like you might have a sweetheart deal at Sewell based on your quote" I know that if I found a problem with my car my dealer/Sewell would take care of it...... How do I know this, because it has happened.." That sounds like a Wonderfull deal for you but here is what Dustin told the rest of his customers. To quote Dustin at your special dealer "In the event a vehicle shows up in this condition, you should expect a $1500-$3,000 paint correction cost if the vehicle is a light color and $2,500-$5,000 if the vehicle is Black Raven" and " to be clear, we will not be forcing any customers to purchase a paint correction/ceramic coat, however, we will not be providing it at no charge either. All customers will have the choice to cover the paint correction/ceramic costs or not purchase the vehicle." So I ask you again respectfully do you think this is acceptable and if so why? We are looking for leadership here.
I already stated that I ALWAYS have my cars paint corrected and I don't worry about the condition the car come in, but one of my BW's had issues after correction and the dealer took care of it.... Is this acceptable, for you no, for me it does not matter.. I hate all the Cadillac bashing because I'm a huge fan, but again, if you are not happy with the way things are going, move on..... Will you ever be happy with your car when you get it??

I don't know what to tell you because I had no issues getting both of my BW's, maybe because I have purchased a lot of vehicles from Sewell, maybe I'm just lucky, maybe because I don't cry about every little thing, I don't know.....

I have no "leadership" advise to give you other than be patient...

One other thing, my detailer told me that both of my car were in good condition in regards to GM paint standards.. This includes Corvettes...

While theoretically you are correct,... you have bitched and moaned non-stop basically since you first have been on here... starting with the fact that you apparently live in the wrong state🙄.

People come on here to get/share/provide info/pics/enthusiasm, ask/answer questions, escape from their day,... and even vent/complain about expectations/the process/their vehicle... which is all legitimate, necessary, helpful, and even cathartic.

But after awhile enough is enough!! If you're looking for validation,... then yes you make some/many(?) good points. If you're looking for the forum to correct your problems,...then you're barking up the wrong tree... although if you look through the forum you should be able to find numerous examples and suggestions of different Cadillac/GM contacts from the dealership level all the way towards the top of the hierarchy that people on here have made/provided contact info about-->so may I suggest trying to contact one of them (no I do not know them off the top of my head, but I know from reading this forum that the info is definitely in here).

Finally if you are going to continue to be as intransigent as you have been... then just know your point has been made ad infinitum. It gets to the point where as soon as I see a post from @Commonman I'm thinking it says @C'mon man!

So there gets to be the moment where some of us throw our hands up in the air and say no one is forcing you to buy this car... if you're not happy then buy something else and I sincerely wish you a Happy New Year! and best of luck in finding your happiness because it doesn't seem to be here.

It all sounded good until your last sentence. Go find another dealer???
Yes, if there's a warranty/defect issue, you are not required to stay with the dealer from which you purchased the car.

We has an ATS that after a year we noticed an air bubble in the 3rd brake light/spoiler. Took it to another dealer (selling dealer was further away) showed it to them, and it was fixed, no issues.

if you are not happy with the way things are going, move on..... Will you ever be happy with your car when you get it??
For all of the many related posts regarding lead time, Cadillac communications, and build quality.... it is shocking that so many people are in such turmoil over a material good but then still give GM their 70k - 130k.

For all of the many related posts regarding lead time, Cadillac communications, and build quality.... it is shocking that so many people are in such turmoil over a material good but then still give GM their 70k - 130k.
Well said sir!!!

I hope to be a huge fan of Cadillacs. If they ever send one to me I will let you know. Loved my C8 experience but car was to small for me. Now back on point. Do you feel that the average , non connected new Blackwing owner should have to pay $1500-$5000 for a paint correction cost at a dealership you feel you will never be exposed to because of your special status with them. This is not a voluntary paint correction but one necessitated by a poor paint job at the factory. Not my policy but Sewells. Read post #1.Again this is not about YOU. This is about a policy that will affect the other slubs of the world that don't get to hob knob with the dealership in question.

I hope to be a huge fan of Cadillacs. If they ever send one to me I will let you know. Loved my C8 experience but car was to small for me. Now back on point. Do you feel that the average , non connected new Blackwing owner should have to pay $1500-$5000 for a paint correction cost at a dealership you feel you will never be exposed to because of your special status with them. This is not a voluntary paint correction but one necessitated by a poor paint job at the factory. Not my policy but Sewells. Read post #1.Again this is not about YOU. This is about a policy that will affect the other slubs of the world that don't get to hob knob with the dealership in question.
See:

Ok dude, first let me say I'm not special at Sewell!!!!!!!! @1StunnaV has more customers that spend more money on accident than I do on purpose... The people at Sewell like me because I'm a kick ass customer that treats everyone there with respect and I never get shitty with them..I have an established relationship with them over many years of purchases, thats it!

Again, I have stated as well as Sewell, if you don't want to do paint correction, DONT purchase the fucking car! I do not hold the dealer responsible for the paint correction, BECAUSE I ALWAYS HAVE IT DONE AT MY COST! Thats just me, If you find that unacceptable, DONT PURCHASE THE CAR!

You will not let this paint thing go, so let me say that Sewell DOES NOT do my paint correction, or for that matter any dealer I do business with.... If you don't like the paint job on the BW's for the love of the baby Jesus don't purchase the car, go get a freaking BMW, or some other brand...

Man oh man, this is getting old! The negativity on your arguments have run their course..

Last edited:
I was one of the ones hit hard by this. I went as far as having my hood repainted.

But here I am months later and I forget it's ever happened.

My issue will be a small blip out of YEARS of ownership.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back