Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

How is the CT5V BW in mundane driving?

The entire premise of the 5BW is to be all the car things one could want, comfort GT tourer to track weapon, so OP is smack in the middle of the target market. I personally would not make the 5BW my daily work commuter, but plenty will argue life is too short to commute in a "regular" car, I can't argue otherwise.

The entire premise of the 5BW is to be all the car things one could want, comfort GT tourer to track weapon, so OP is smack in the middle of the target market. I personally would not make the 5BW my daily work commuter, but plenty will argue life is too short to commute in a "regular" car, I can't argue otherwise.
I always wanted performance in my (usually somewhat long) commute. Most often I at least had stretches where I could have fun - mostly mountain and back country roads with some relatively lightly traveled interstate. I used to put on about 30K a year mostly commuting...

Even though it's a comfy, somewhat heavy luxury sedan, it really is pretty engaging in "boring" driving. The engine sound, torque and character, the crisp shifter and clutch, the communicative steering, the variable drive modes - they all add to the experience. I've almost always had a sedan + a sports car and in the sedan category have been E39 M5, E90 M3 (MT), and Civic Type R. The 5BW is more fun all around than the Bimmers and in terms of everyday driving, about on par with the CTR, trading some of that light tossability for a huge upgrade in the engine/sound department.
Fish is one of the guys I wrote to about the BW before I bought it. I came from (my second) G82 manual before buying the BW CT5/manual. I never looked back.

I too had a few E39 M5s. They were phenomenal cars in their day. The BW is better in every regard except perhaps looks. Although the BMW shifter wasn't as notchy and stiff when cold, it's also a lot sloppier.

Yeah, but no manual.
I've said all around this forum that the E39 M5 was probably my favorite car I owned, and my goal with the 5BW was to emulate that in a more extreme and updated platform. It has done that in spades. Wholeheartedly agree about the BW being better - I was surprised by how much better. Very similar character but just so much more of everything.

Even though it's a comfy, somewhat heavy luxury sedan, it really is pretty engaging in "boring" driving. The engine sound, torque and character, the crisp shifter and clutch, the communicative steering, the variable drive modes - they all add to the experience. I've almost always had a sedan + a sports car and in the sedan category have been E39 M5, E90 M3 (MT), and Civic Type R. The 5BW is more fun all around than the Bimmers and in terms of everyday driving, about on par with the CTR, trading some of that light tossability for a huge upgrade in the engine/sound department.

I've said all around this forum that the E39 M5 was probably my favorite car I owned, and my goal with the 5BW was to emulate that in a more extreme and updated platform. It has done that in spades. Wholeheartedly agree about the BW being better - I was surprised by how much better. Very similar character but just so much more of everything.

I hear so many people making comparisons to the E39 M5. I never got a chance to drive one. Maybe I need to see how good they were. I love the way they look and the V8 sounds so good (at least in Youtube videos). Now I'm curious.

I hear so many people making comparisons to the E39 M5. I never got a chance to drive one. Maybe I need to see how good they were. I love the way they look and the V8 sounds so good (at least in Youtube videos). Now I'm curious.
I had mine from 2009-2015, drove it 29k miles and sold it to a friend for $5k+ more than I paid (it was in much better shape than when I bought it though). While I absolutely loved the E39 M5 and it was amazing for the time (and still looks wonderful), in comparison to the 5BW:
  • Engine has a similar powerband and response, but sound is much more muted (and I never grew up loving American V8s, but the Blackwing sound is another league) and the power is obviously far less. Road & Track compared the two and said the Blackwing pulls harder in 5th than the M5 does in 3rd. I did the math myself and it's true! Pretty crazy to think about given the M5 had a ton of torque for the day (369lb/ft @ 3,800rpm).
  • Shifter is far less solid and more vague even after some aftermarket mods. Clutch is notoriously weak - a popular and expensive upgrade was a larger clutch adapted from the V12 8-series.
  • Handling had a lot more body movement, vagueness and understeer. Steering was recirculating ball and lacked feel.
  • Brakes were single-piston and it showed. I actually autocrossed mine a few times and even with high-temp fluid would get fade.
  • Ride was quite comfy (non-adjustable suspension), but from my memory the Blackwing in softest setting is even more compliant. Only exception is low-moderate speed in-city driving where Magneride can't hide the stiff swaybars over one-wheel bumps like manhole covers.
The BW rear seat is also much roomier except for headroom. The M5's wasn't much bigger than my E90 M3's. Gas mileage is the same as 5BW.

Again, amazing car for the time and still holds a real soft spot with me - a modern classic no doubt. But GM had the advantage of almost 25 years of progress, and it shows - it's simply much better in all dynamic categories. Also should mention the E39 was by far the least reliable car I've owned. More problems than the 6 other cars I've owned combined.

I had mine from 2009-2015, drove it 29k miles and sold it to a friend for $5k+ more than I paid (it was in much better shape than when I bought it though). While I absolutely loved the E39 M5 and it was amazing for the time (and still looks wonderful), in comparison to the 5BW:
  • Engine has a similar powerband and response, but sound is much more muted (and I never grew up loving American V8s, but the Blackwing sound is another league) and the power is obviously far less. Road & Track compared the two and said the Blackwing pulls harder in 5th than the M5 does in 3rd. I did the math myself and it's true! Pretty crazy to think about given the M5 had a ton of torque for the day (369lb/ft @ 3,800rpm).
  • Shifter is far less solid and more vague even after some aftermarket mods. Clutch is notoriously weak - a popular and expensive upgrade was a larger clutch adapted from the V12 8-series.
  • Handling had a lot more body movement, vagueness and understeer. Steering was recirculating ball and lacked feel.
  • Brakes were single-piston and it showed. I actually autocrossed mine a few times and even with high-temp fluid would get fade.
  • Ride was quite comfy (non-adjustable suspension), but from my memory the Blackwing in softest setting is even more compliant. Only exception is low-moderate speed in-city driving where Magneride can't hide the stiff swaybars over one-wheel bumps like manhole covers.
The BW rear seat is also much roomier except for headroom. The M5's wasn't much bigger than my E90 M3's. Gas mileage is the same as 5BW.

Again, amazing car for the time and still holds a real soft spot with me - a modern classic no doubt. But GM had the advantage of almost 25 years of progress, and it shows - it's simply much better in all dynamic categories. Also should mention the E39 was by far the least reliable car I've owned. More problems than the 6 other cars I've owned combined.
Decent comparison! Guy, I worked with had V-2 and sold it for GT-R and commented that his V-2 was great and 20yrs of building the V's he can't imagine how perfected the BW would be.

I think the CT4V is probably more my jam in terms of daily fun, but the back seat room is a bit of a deal breaker.
I won't say the 4BW has a very roomy back seat but it's OK, particularly since we rarely have a back seat occupant. I'm 6' 2" and if I put the driver's seat where I like it (I don't like the so called Italian straight arm driving position), I have adequate room, knees in a normal position. Don

I won't say the 4BW has a very roomy back seat but it's OK, particularly since we rarely have a back seat occupant. I'm 6' 2" and if I put the driver's seat where I like it (I don't like the so called Italian straight arm driving position), I have adequate room, knees in a normal position. Don
It is definitely a smaller back seat. My prior two “kid haulers” were a 2018 Focus RS and a 2022 CLA 45 AMG. Both of those have noticeably more rear seat room despite being smaller cars. I’m only 5’5, I have the seat low but as far forward as it will go. My 3 year old daughter sits behind me in a forward facing seat and complains about leg room (she is also on smaller side). My son has a rearward facing seat and he does not fit behind me. I put him on the passenger side and have to move the seat back and forth for when I have passengers and when I haul him. Luckily those two worlds rarely collide at the same time. I make it work, but it is for sure a compromised car for families.

All that said, I have 0 regrets and the 4BW is my favorite car. It’s as fun/engaging to drive as my 2021 Miata without breaking the law. It was just as fun as my Focus RS but much nicer and way more fun to drive normally than the AMG.

If OP can make it work, it’s a tremendous value and hard to beat as a fun daily driver.

Wow, some stellar comments that really make it a bit of a no brainier, minus the $100k.
Love the CT4 comparison to the Miata, but I’m 6’2” and I have twin almost 6 years olds that are already 48” tall, plus a 5’6” 12 year old. I think I might enjoy the CT4 dynamics more, but I think it’s too much of a comprise.

All you former E39 owner comments help quite a bit.

Do wish I could find a CT5-VBW to test drive! Will look into that.

Thank you all!

Most folks LOVE the 4, but this is an area you need to be extra honest with yourself for long-term contentment. The $30k-$40k delta between the two can quickly become a sledgehammer in the decision process. Outside of finances and maybe fitment of your family, the path to one or the other becomes a subjective one and that debate has been well worn around here. The sledgehammer in my decision tree was a 668hp LT4 connected to the rear wheels via a T-6060 wrapped in a handsome sedan.

Wow, some stellar comments that really make it a bit of a no brainier, minus the $100k.
Love the CT4 comparison to the Miata, but I’m 6’2” and I have twin almost 6 years olds that are already 48” tall, plus a 5’6” 12 year old. I think I might enjoy the CT4 dynamics more, but I think it’s too much of a comprise.

All you former E39 owner comments help quite a bit.

Do wish I could find a CT5-VBW to test drive! Will look into that.

Thank you all!
The 4 backseat is entirely doable for 2 - particularly for shorter trips. I don't think a third of any adult/near adult size could possibly ride in the middle back seat without severe discomfort.

Otherwise I'm a big fan of the 4 (even over the 5....but I like smaller/lighter cars in general)...

Went to give the CT4 one last try with my twin 5 year olds and yeah it is just too small. Their feet don’t make it to the floor, so their feet are twisted a bit sideways between the seat back and the bottom seat cushion. What is crazy is that they both fit just fine in the back of my LS6 powered E46 ZHP.

Oh Yeah GIF by Leroy Patterson

Condolences to the checking account, but #worthit

Last edited:

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!