Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

CT5-V Engine failure

CT5-V Model
That's actually not true. For example; the pistons are fracture split. If one builder were mismatching caps or putting them on backward, mayhem could ensue.

I’m just saying what blew up my motor. Others may have different issues. Excess material blocking oil passthrus to the bearing. I physically saw the crank out of my car after they tore it down.

All I knew about my 5BW engine failure was that some internal part or parts failed and the oil distributed metal fragments throughout the engine.

I’m just saying what blew up my motor. Others may have different issues. Excess material blocking oil passthrus to the bearing. I physically saw the crank out of my car after they tore it down.
My car had crank and metal as well. Sounds like the captains and yours did too. My service rep said another customer had a blackwing at their dealership had metal in the oil flow and motor failure at 37 miles. She didn’t tell me explicitly but when they were in the early stages of diagnosing my car she seemed like they had very set path. She was also somewhat routine in how she told me about my motor and next steps. I think this is happening rather frequently and GM has a lot of info out about it to dealers. Also I’m curious… how is your car after the new engine?

Last edited:
My dealer contact was through the sales rep, who told me that there were several others who had similar (engine failure) problems. She didn’t go into details. I got the impression that they didn’t want to advertise it.
There is no telling about the level of quality control in the subcontractors who make the engine parts. Sort of like what Boeing is going through now.

My car had crank and metal as well. Sounds like the captains and yours did too. My service rep said another customer had a blackwing at their dealership had metal in the oil flow and motor failure at 37 miles. She didn’t tell me explicitly but when they were in the early stages of diagnosing my car she seemed like they had very set path. She was also somewhat routine in how she told me about my motor and next steps. I think this is happening rather frequently and GM has a lot of info out about it to dealers. Also I’m curious… how is your car after the new engine?
Pulls like a freight train and can’t complain. It is a bit lumpy, it feels like the motor mounts may already be slightly shot at 15k miles. And second gear when its cold feels grindy/crunchy. But it’s just stuff you kinda start to pick up and nitpick after you’ve been driving it for 15k miles.

I have no complaints with the new engine. Of course, I didn’t have any complaints about the original engine until it went “Tango Uniform”.

I suppose so but I didn’t.
Did you get any compensation at all? If not, that is really crappy on GMs part. At minimum they should be giving extended warranties without being asked.

Pulls like a freight train and can’t complain. It is a bit lumpy, it feels like the motor mounts may already be slightly shot at 15k miles. And second gear when its cold feels grindy/crunchy. But it’s just stuff you kinda start to pick up and nitpick after you’ve been driving it for 15k miles.

I'm still on orginal motor. But my motor mounts feel like they could be on there way out! i wonder if there are any aftermarket replacement ones.

Also my 2nd gear feels wonky. Almost like the shift linkage is misaligned.

I think you are confusing my experience with the little used Kubota tractor and my experience with the 5 BW. The engine failure and replacement in the Cadillac CT5BW was completely covered by the warranty. Sewell Cadillac of Dallas picked the car up at my house, brought me a loaner, replaced the engine, and returned the car to me all at no cost. I have no complaints whatsoever. I am certain that Sewell sent the bill for all of that to Cadillac. As the should.

This seems like a random occurrence in Cadillac V's, not a design flaw.

It's not uncommon for ANY manufacturer to have metallurgy failures in parts that lead to catastrophic engine failures. Cams fail, valves fail, bearings fail, etc. even for Nissan and Toyota.

Other cars have had design flaws that caused failures under certain conditions. I think Porsche had some versions of the 911 that had issues, Corvettes had oil-pickup issues under high G cornering, early Bentley Arnage T's had bearing issues, etc. It doesn't seem like that is the case here.

Yes, I have my own airstrip. Doesn’t everyone?
Ours is down for re-seeding.
That's actually not true. For example; the pistons are fracture split. If one builder were mismatching caps or putting them on backward, mayhem could ensue.
I don't think it's the pistons, it's the connecting rods. You'd have to be pretty clueless/distracted to put them on backwards, I would imagine. GM has been doing that (the rods) for quite a while now.
There was no “Engine has seized” light.
LOL
I'm nervous about this because my 5wing is a 5th car, purely a weekend toy. It's a 22 and I've got about 1800 miles on it so far.
Get over it, the odds are with you. Seriously, do not let this diminish the enjoyment of the car. Perhaps if you drive it more often, you'll start to feel better about it?

Ours is down for re-seeding.

I don't think it's the pistons, it's the connecting rods. You'd have to be pretty clueless/distracted to put them on backwards, I would imagine. GM has been doing that (the rods) for quite a while now.

LOL

Get over it, the odds are with you. Seriously, do not let this diminish the enjoyment of the car. Perhaps if you drive it more often, you'll start to feel better about it?
Great way to put it. I daily mine and even having it go out on me, I’d still feel confident taking it anywhere across the nation at this point. Go drive it and enjoy it.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back