Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Cadillac Smart Driver and Privacy Concerns

I received my Lexisnexis letter in the mail but when I try to access the link provided in the letter, all I get is a page not found message.

Odd.

I pulled my LN report and all I see is the usual credit checks and insurance reports, nothing on driving events.....did I pull the wrong report? 😆....I have basic OnStar but opted out of the Smart Driver thing
Mine came back the same way. I was pretty sure I opted out of the smart driver stuff when I took delivery but I hadn’t thought about it again since I haven’t used onstar at all and didn’t renew it after the trial period. But when I saw all of this I assumed the worst and figured they had snuck something into the terms that still let them collect and share my data. So I was relieved to see absolutely no driving history data on my report. But I have to admit since I’ve tracked mine a half dozen or so times I was kind of looking forward to seeing what they would make of that.

Just got my report. 77 driving reports between 10/9 and 12/16. Only 3 high speed events total though, lol.
Also had a few -1 acceleration events and -1 hard braking. Not sure how that works.
When I was at the drag strip it apparently didn't register, would have been 16 or so high speed events of the track.
Just requested a security freeze with nexislexis and also submitted a request for info suppression.

I want in on the class action lawsuit.
I reached out to the lawyer who filed the initial lawsuit on Florida for any information. Haven't heard anything back.

Last edited:
They said they will allow me to dispute the telemetric info from GM and they will issue a written report within 30 days

Yeah, I had to file a dispute. It said that I had 3 high speed events, and I went a lot faster and did it more than 3 times! I should get proper credit. :boogie

I just received my LexiNexis report as well and I have over 100 entries of driving events on my Blackwing. I did not opt into this, and when I called to have Onstar/smart driver turned off, they were unable to see where or when I opted into this data sharing. Really not thrilled with Cadillac's deceptive practice here.

Same experience here. Followed the tips in this thread. Made sure I was opted out of everything (never opted in, but apparently that doesn't matter to GM). Did whatever I could at LexisNexis.

I had 59 events in the Telematics section.
9/21/23 is the earliest record.
2/28/04 record appears to be the most recent.
Not sure how those dates line up with others', maybe if they line up that would be an indication GM did something, as opposed to us accidentally clicking something to opt in.

Here's a typical record (without name or VIN). There are multiple similar records.

RECORD 54
Trip Details
• Start Date: 02/15/2024 • Start Time: 6:04a
• End Date: 02/15/2024 • End Time: 6:20a
• Acceleration Events: 7 • Hard Brake Events: 3
• HighSpeedEvents: 0 • Distance: 6.46

This record is from my drive to the gym in the morning, 16 minutes, 6.5 miles. Apparently I had 7 "acceleration events" and 3 "hard brake events." I can assure you that there is NOTHING about my drive to the gym at this time in the morning where I'm driving in any way aggressively. Not to mention, if I were there'd surely be some "high speed events" in there, too! It's a leisurely drive, car isn't fully warm, visibility isn't great, etc. I'm not pushing it in *any* way.

Not only am I not thrilled with GM sharing my data without permission, I think their definition of what constitutes an "event" is ridiculous. That is, even if I did consent to this Smart Driver program, the conclusions from it would be *deeply* flawed.

I gave the number in my Cadillac app a call today, 888-466-7827. NPC from an off-shore call center transferred me to the Smart Driver group.

I then proceeded to have the most worthless conversation I've had in a long time.

They said the only way this happens is if I had opted in to Smart Driver. I’m not opted in, never have been, not voluntarily.

They see I am opted out of everything. So how did my information get into LexisNexis? They said my car is eligible for it, car is capable of it, but is not enrolled.

Okay, so when was I opted in? They claim they can’t see it, no dates. Sometime back in the past. No access to past records.

They said something about Smart Driver being an insurance company thing. Okay, so why are there only GM records in LexisNexis, not my other cars? They said it's only possible in new cars. That’s bullshit, I have two other cars (different manufacturers), one from the same year and one two years newer. It's only GM.

They said that vehicle status reporting in the app has nothing to do with Smart Driver.

They claim to no longer be sharing with LexisNexis. Any other companies? The rep did some looking, said:
Verisk
LexisNexis

Opt out links:
consumer.risk.lexisnexis.com/consumer
fcra.verisk.com/#/
That link didn't work to opt out but I did request a link. Saw this line to opt out, I hope:

Verisk web site says that they only receive driving behavior data from vehicles manufactured by:
General Motors, Hyundai, and Honda. So now I know I'll never buy another vehicle from General Motors, Hyundai, or Honda. (I've never bought a Hyundai, but I've bought several Hondas.)

They said, "We don’t sell information, that was requested by the insurance company." “With customer consent.” But he further said that the Smart Driver program can only be enrolled in via GM, typically through a GM or GM brand website.

This could only have happened if I authorized information to be shared through Smart Driver through the website, they said. And yet they can’t tell me when that happened. All it says is that I am not presently enrolled. “No insurance discount program exists for this vehicle.” More lies: "Only gets reported if it gets shared with the insurance companies."

I then called my insurance company. They said that I'm not enrolled in any such program through them. They didn't request any information about my driving. I knew that was the case, but just wanted to check.

This will be my last GM vehicle.

Well, I got my LN report and sure enough, it's full of data from my track days. It treats each session as it's own trip, so how about we play to see has the highest score? I'll start.

1712362578550.png

Same experience here. Followed the tips in this thread. Made sure I was opted out of everything (never opted in, but apparently that doesn't matter to GM). Did whatever I could at LexisNexis.

I had 59 events in the Telematics section.
9/21/23 is the earliest record.
2/28/04 record appears to be the most recent.
Not sure how those dates line up with others', maybe if they line up that would be an indication GM did something, as opposed to us accidentally clicking something to opt in.

Here's a typical record (without name or VIN). There are multiple similar records.

RECORD 54
Trip Details
• Start Date: 02/15/2024 • Start Time: 6:04a
• End Date: 02/15/2024 • End Time: 6:20a
• Acceleration Events: 7 • Hard Brake Events: 3
• HighSpeedEvents: 0 • Distance: 6.46

This record is from my drive to the gym in the morning, 16 minutes, 6.5 miles. Apparently I had 7 "acceleration events" and 3 "hard brake events." I can assure you that there is NOTHING about my drive to the gym at this time in the morning where I'm driving in any way aggressively. Not to mention, if I were there'd surely be some "high speed events" in there, too! It's a leisurely drive, car isn't fully warm, visibility isn't great, etc. I'm not pushing it in *any* way.

Not only am I not thrilled with GM sharing my data without permission, I think their definition of what constitutes an "event" is ridiculous. That is, even if I did consent to this Smart Driver program, the conclusions from it would be *deeply* flawed.

I gave the number in my Cadillac app a call today, 888-466-7827. NPC from an off-shore call center transferred me to the Smart Driver group.

I then proceeded to have the most worthless conversation I've had in a long time.

They said the only way this happens is if I had opted in to Smart Driver. I’m not opted in, never have been, not voluntarily.

They see I am opted out of everything. So how did my information get into LexisNexis? They said my car is eligible for it, car is capable of it, but is not enrolled.

Okay, so when was I opted in? They claim they can’t see it, no dates. Sometime back in the past. No access to past records.

They said something about Smart Driver being an insurance company thing. Okay, so why are there only GM records in LexisNexis, not my other cars? They said it's only possible in new cars. That’s bullshit, I have two other cars (different manufacturers), one from the same year and one two years newer. It's only GM.

They said that vehicle status reporting in the app has nothing to do with Smart Driver.

They claim to no longer be sharing with LexisNexis. Any other companies? The rep did some looking, said:
Verisk
LexisNexis

Opt out links:
consumer.risk.lexisnexis.com/consumer
fcra.verisk.com/#/
That link didn't work to opt out but I did request a link. Saw this line to opt out, I hope:

Verisk web site says that they only receive driving behavior data from vehicles manufactured by:
General Motors, Hyundai, and Honda. So now I know I'll never buy another vehicle from General Motors, Hyundai, or Honda. (I've never bought a Hyundai, but I've bought several Hondas.)

They said, "We don’t sell information, that was requested by the insurance company." “With customer consent.” But he further said that the Smart Driver program can only be enrolled in via GM, typically through a GM or GM brand website.

This could only have happened if I authorized information to be shared through Smart Driver through the website, they said. And yet they can’t tell me when that happened. All it says is that I am not presently enrolled. “No insurance discount program exists for this vehicle.” More lies: "Only gets reported if it gets shared with the insurance companies."

I then called my insurance company. They said that I'm not enrolled in any such program through them. They didn't request any information about my driving. I knew that was the case, but just wanted to check.

This will be my last GM vehicle.
“NPC from an off-shore call center transferred me to the Smart Driver group.” not sure why but this got me rollin…LMAO

Well thank you all for this. I checked my app, said I wasn't opted in, got the Lexis Nexis report and it was full of hard brake and hard acceleration reports. Checked again and I was opted in, so I have now opted out. Sheesh, but again, thanks!
No HighSpeedEvents ones?

Well, I got my LN report and sure enough, it's full of data from my track days. It treats each session as it's own trip, so how about we play to see has the highest score? I'll start.

View attachment 25152
I had the same on mine, fucking pisses me off because this caused problems for my insurance rates, despite that track time not being covered by insurance. IF they want to use those, they better cover my track time then.

Good find. I wasn't aware of this: "LexisNexis Risk Solutions, which retains consumers’ driving data for six months..."

I confirmed that within my report it was indeed only the prior 6 months shown.

While still unclear how this was allowed if we weren't enrolled in safedriver, at least now we can provide evidence we weren't enrolled and cross check against dates of anything in our L-N report for those specific time windows. OnStar did also confirm that I wasn't enrolled previously so maybe that could be a way to get removal of anything currently in the record.

This may be a better move than fully opting out of L-N. I dont know if opting out poses a risk of rate increase. For example, if a company can't find your specific records of accidents, insurance coverage etc, would they just go with a higher rate? Maybe the DMV records are enough?
They don't. In California, it was actually illegal for them to use this data for insurance rates.

I received my Lexisnexis letter in the mail but when I try to access the link provided in the letter, all I get is a page not found message.

Odd.
Same, for the letter I received this past Saturday. I opened a support ticket with them.

So, how do I dispute the data in that report, what verbiage did you guys use?

I recently took delivery of my CT5-V Blackwing. Just before picking up my BW, I read so much about this LN reports and how OnStar is spying on us and selling that data. I even read that there are owners who even though they'd opted out of the Safe Driver on OnStar, they were still being spied on with OnStar reporting their driving habits.

So, after reading all of this, I still have not even setup my OnStar account. Kind of upset my salesman as he gets about a $120 commission for signing up new OnStar members.

Has the issue, if there was one, with OnStar selling driving habits even if the owner opted out of the Smart Driver? I'm still very concerned about registering with OnStar as I don't want to be spied on with my driving habits sold to LN, if I don't want it to be. Thanks all.

Has the issue, if there was one, with OnStar selling driving habits even if the owner opted out of the Smart Driver? I'm still very concerned about registering with OnStar as I don't want to be spied on with my driving habits sold to LN, if I don't want it to be. Thanks all.
Presumably, GM no longer reports/sells this information any longer.

Got my LN report today, and it had no information from my BW. I never downloaded the app, but did sign up for Onstar.

Got my LN report today, and it had no information from my BW. I never downloaded the app, but did sign up for Onstar.
How long have you owned the car and how long have you been subscribed to OnStar? Thanks.

I opted out in the settings for the Cadillac App. Now, every time I start the car , I will receive an annoying email saying that my "vehicle location setting has changed". No duh.......I'm the one that changed it. You need a password to do it on the App. Now they will keep sending me numerous emails until I get annoyed and turn it back on.
If I go out shopping and make 20 trips, I will get 20 emails.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back