Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Burning rubber smell (not the good kind)

jumpmanjay

Seasoned Member
So I've been wracking my brain over this. This has happened 3 different times and the pattern is the same- I park in an outside lot, it snows enough where the car is covered, I drive the car and after a little bit, I start smelling burning rubber coming through the vents. Once the car is in the garage and all the snow melts, by the time I drive the car again, it doesn't smell anymore and the problem doesn't pop up until the next time the above situation happens again.

It seems as if the issue is localized to the HVAC (and not related to the engine), but what could possibly cause this? I've checked under the hood and do not see anything melting, rubbing, etc.

Anyone with any ideas? I realize the situation of driving a 5BW in the snow is probably not a common one lol.

Last edited:
Is it a manual? I drove mine in snow and ice and didn't smell anything. Also some info on mileage helps. Brand new I had a few weird smells I chalked up to just new car and they went away

6MT, ~4500 miles

I’m at about 3800 right now also an 6MT and don’t have the smell. Haven’t gotten any snow as of late but it’s in the forecast next week so I’ll go out and rip it when I can and report back. I’d look under and see if anything is just rubbing. Sometimes if you hit some snow or something it’ll knock stuff loose. Hope not but idk what else it could be. Gotta practice my donuts anyways. It’s hard to slide a big car

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.MOV
    24.9 MB
So I've been wracking my brain over this. This has happened 3 different times and the pattern is the same- I park in an outside lot, it snows enough where the car is covered, I drive the car and after a little bit, I start smelling burning rubber coming through the vents. Once the car is in the garage and all the snow melts, by the time I drive the car again, it doesn't smell anymore and the problem doesn't pop up until the next time the above situation happens again.

It seems as if the issue is localized to the HVAC (and not related to the engine), but what could possibly cause this? I've checked under the hood and do not see anything melting, rubbing, etc.

Anyone with any ideas? I realize the situation of driving a 5BW in the snow is probably not a common one lol.
Did you ever figure out the cause? I have the same but no snow.

Clutch?
Hope not but when one goes your car can have a burning rubber or plastic kind of smell.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back