Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Unwanted Rev Match

CBH

Seasoned Member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
'23 CT5 Blackwing w/ Clutch
On the (extended) way home from the dealer Saturday, I thought I was experiencing the "engine surging" problem I had seen here.

Now, after my 3rd time out, I realized that it appears to be Rev Match kicking in very rarely, but of course it is sudden and unexpected. It scares the crap out of you too since it comes out of nowhere and its pretty loud.

I do not use rev match in my normal daily driving. But in each of these isolated incidents the engine blip happened while I was downshifting with the clutch depressed. I thought I could reproduce it once, but that was the last time till I got home.

The salesman called me today as a routine follow-up, and I asked him to see if it was a known problem. If not, there's no way they'll be able to reproduce it, and I can't imagine they're going to tear it apart and start replacing things otherwise. I really don't want to just live with this inconvenience. AARRRRRRGGGGHHH !! At least it pales in comparison to the horror stories I seen other people have had. Really scary to read those....

Anybody else experience this ?

My only unwanted rev-match happens when I’m slowing down, breaking and/or coasting in neutral. Really weird. Seems like a really easy fixable bug in software. Same with the ability to leave rev match on. I really like the rev match feature for every day driving.

Have y'all reported it to the dealer ? I guess you may also be skeptical of being able to reproduce ?

Just living with it ?

Not reported. It happens occasionally enough that I’m not going to pursue it unless there is a well documented fix/TSB.

Still trying to figure out how this is a bad thing....I don't use rev-match that often, but still get the situation you described on downshifts. I like it.

My only unwanted rev-match happens when I’m slowing down, breaking and/or coasting in neutral. Really weird. Seems like a really easy fixable bug in software. Same with the ability to leave rev match on. I really like the rev match feature for every day driving.
I actually enjoy that random feature. If you are in neutral and moving and move the stick to the left it will more likely than not give a quick burst of RPMs. All cars have quirks, once I learn them it’s fun.

I actually enjoy that random feature. If you are in neutral and moving and move the stick to the left it will more likely than not give a quick burst of RPMs. All cars have quirks, once I learn them it’s fun.
Yeah I'm fine with that. The one that's odd to me is when my hand is even off the shifter. It just seems it looks at engine speed and other variables but not the fact that is in neutral without intention to get into gear. Maybe I'm doing something wrong but seems like a quirk or software bug to me.

Yes this is just a weird blackwing trait. Don't let them tear your car apart for it, the dealer will just beat on and joyride in your car for a week and do nothing to fix it.

For 4BW owners does it also happen to you guys?

Yeah I'm fine with that. The one that's odd to me is when my hand is even off the shifter. It just seems it looks at engine speed and other variables but not the fact that is in neutral without intention to get into gear. Maybe I'm doing something wrong but seems like a quirk or software bug to me.
Yeah, my 5BW does that occasionally and sometimes surprises me, but doesn't hurt anything. It's fine, I've owned other cars with odd behavior and after some time got used to it. I won't let the dealer change my oil so I'm sure not going to bring something this complicated to them.

Yeah, my 5BW does that occasionally and sometimes surprises me, but doesn't hurt anything. It's fine, I've owned other cars with odd behavior and after some time got used to it. I won't let the dealer change my oil so I'm sure not going to bring something this complicated to them.
Agreed....I avoid the dealer as much as I can....now if I can just figure out how to replace my cracked front camera lens.....

Thanks for the input. Sure hate to just live with it...........but I agree there's virtually zero chance they could do anything to fix it. Certainly not without a known backlog of complaints that would get GM to publish a TSB.

If you’re way off on revs when going from 1 gear to another it will do that otherwise you’re dramatically changing a lot of engine speed in a short amount of time which the driveline isn’t going to like

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back