Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Terrible paint drip issue. What would you guys do?

Beamz27

Seasoned Member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
CT4V BW
I just saw this today when I finally opened the sunroof. I’ve never seen factory drip off like that. What would you guys do?

Attachments

• EAA006CF-1D57-470A-8C73-8BE958C88FCD.jpeg
    EAA006CF-1D57-470A-8C73-8BE958C88FCD.jpeg
    888 KB · Views: 189
  • 4CD84D87-8284-4832-A05A-F942DBD4C4D3.jpeg
    4CD84D87-8284-4832-A05A-F942DBD4C4D3.jpeg
    1,016.3 KB · Views: 190
  • 7FE86545-D2EA-4D5D-A71D-024276A67108.jpeg
    7FE86545-D2EA-4D5D-A71D-024276A67108.jpeg
    896.8 KB · Views: 195
Looks like they are dipping panels into a vat of paint and hanging them to dry. That's how bad it is, yeesh!

I'd bring it in, but before you do you may want to ping others who had paint work done at that dealer. Better to go with a dealer who does in house work, assuming they do a quality job.

There's a good chance that's excess clearcoat, which in that case it should be easier to correct.

I mean it just looks terrible. Surprised that got through QA

Thats not going to wetsand down.

That would drive me nuts, but man, to break the paint on something that only I know is there....ugh, thats a tough one.
Are you sure? It's at the bottom edge. If it was at the top edge, that would be a problem since its basically a part of the surface of the roof.

They might be able to just tape the roof and that top edge, sand it down, and re-shoot it with clearcoat. Doesn't need to look pretty, just needs to get sanded down and sealed properly so the paint doesn't fail there.

Question for you guys though: would you rather GM send the cars out like this with problems that can be remedied at the dealership level, or held at the factory further to be fixed? Either way it's going to get fixed all the same whether at the factory or locally. Ignoring the fact that it shouldn't even come out of the factory like this.

Are you sure? It's at the bottom edge. If it was at the top edge, that would be a problem since its basically a part of the surface of the roof.

They might be able to just tape the roof and that top edge, sand it down, and re-shoot it with clearcoat. Doesn't need to look pretty, just needs to get sanded down and sealed properly so the paint doesn't fail there.

Question for you guys though: would you rather GM send the cars out like this with problems that can be remedied at the dealership level, or held at the factory further to be fixed? Either way it's going to get fixed all the same whether at the factory or locally. Ignoring the fact that it shouldn't even come out of the factory like this.
I think the factory should have caught that and fixed it

I would drive it and have fun. Won’t affect your experience. Don’t waste time having service people drive your car
Yea I’m not a fan of anyone driving my cars. My dealer knows not to even let the porter near my car.

+1. Anything to avoid having to go back to the dealer or worse, a body shop. Show your local detail shop and maybe they can massage it down?

+1. Anything to avoid having to go back to the dealer or worse, a body shop. Show your local detail shop and maybe they can massage it down?
As much as I also hate dealerships and body shops, I would not turn over a paint sanding issue of that magnitude to a detailer. It's going to need to be re-cleared (at least) after sanding.

As much as I also hate dealerships and body shops, I would not turn over a paint sanding issue of that magnitude to a detailer. It's going to need to be re-cleared (at least) after sanding.
I guess it would depend on your detailer. Every body shop needs a good detailer. You are right though that it likely needs a fresh clear after the sanding is complete.

Flip it and get another one (w/o SunRoof).
Not worth the headaches of getting it fixed.

Dealer will only perform the most minimal and cheapest of repairs possible (from the lowest bidder).
You'd have to hire a top body shop (at your expense) to get it fixed right.
They might have to remove the headliner & sunroof to properly prep & re-spray it.
Who knows what collateral damage would result from all that disassembly.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back