Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Stopping Epoxy Floor Tire Marks

Finally-a-V

Seasoned Member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
2022 CT5 V Blackwing
Quick question for everyone. My garage floor has a epoxy coating on it. The rear tires have left a brown spot on the floor. I know that's all about plasticizers in the tire compound. I have cleaned the spots off the floor and about 90-95% of it has come off.

My question is, what have you all used on the floor under the tires to stop future marks? I've seen mats with rubber backing that could work, but I'm concerned about the rubber backing transferring to the floor, either from tire heat or the car sitting, and making things worse. A neighbor suggested using outside carpeted door mats, but again, rubber backs. We have a kitty litter mat that is carpet material with no backing, but it's thin. I've even thought about cardboard, but that's kind of tacky. I'm not concerned about weather (rain, snow) since it's dry here. Any ideas?

Was gonna say cardboard as that was what I've used in the past. That was specifically when the finish was fresh, like the first week of completion. That just doesn't seem right for it to still react this way assuming it isn't fresh. I swore I would never do another epoxy floor in the garage. Once it starts to go bad its only a matter of time for the spread. I've used a clear wax on all my concrete for years and holds up great, looks awesome, cleans very easy. It is slick if wet however.
yrBMZZu.jpg

Thanks...Only the Blackwing does it. Our SUV's don't. It has to do with the compound (plasticizers) of most high performance tires. The coating is about 6-9 months old. I've done a fair amount of research on this. "Experts" will say if it's a well done job, it won't transfer. Tire guys say it will almost regardless of "quality" of the job. IDK, looking for what others have done.

Thin carpet squares are what you see mostly in the aviation industry for floor protection, and they have some super expensive epoxy floors to take care of.

I've contemplated doing a tile floor for mine too. There are some really cool options for designs. Maybe a square of each of those to park on?

Thin carpet squares are what you see mostly in the aviation industry for floor protection, and they have some super expensive epoxy floors to take care of.
That is my other thought. See if Lowes/Home Depot sells indoor/outdoor carpet squares

I'm doing my garage this summer, I guess I'm going with brown epoxy here.

I did my own garage floor with name brand 2 part epoxy going on 10 years ago. It is about time for a recoat. Has chips and some light staining and discoloration from tires. Tire staining took a few years but consider mine is a working garage with lift and equipment rolling around on it over the years. I'm always putting down chemicals, cleaners, fuel and oil and overall pleased with how it's held up.
I've found thin oil absorbing mats from Harbour Freight that are cheap and large enough to cut into quarters to place under tires for prolonged parking and hold up well.
I'm on the fence as to clearing benches, toolbox and anything else on ground to prep and recoat. Lots of work and quality floor epoxy isn't cheap. Good luck.

My 5BW was the first car to cause my epoxy floor to pull up where the tires sit and ruin it, so I was thinking about something like RaceDeck, TrueLock or similar this go around. Anyone have experience with these? I realize that they are most likely expensive, but I love the patterns.

My 5BW was the first car to cause my epoxy floor to pull up where the tires sit and ruin it, so I was thinking about something like RaceDeck, TrueLock or similar this go around. Anyone have experience with these? I realize that they are most likely expensive, but I love the patterns.
Looked into it before going epoxy. Depending on exact dimensions you need to trim tiles. Anything bolted down, posts etc. need to be tiled around leaving gaps. They raise floor height and allow water or fluids to possibly collect underneath. You could make floating floor smaller to save trimming but leaves uncovered border and then you encounter issues with benches, cabinets or anything else you want level on ground. Good side is if you crack a tile not to difficult to replace.

Looked into it before going epoxy. Depending on exact dimensions you need to trim tiles. Anything bolted down, posts etc. need to be tiled around leaving gaps. They raise floor height and allow water or fluids to possibly collect underneath. You could make floating floor smaller to save trimming but leaves uncovered border and then you encounter issues with benches, cabinets or anything else you want level on ground. Good side is if you crack a tile not to difficult to replace.
Thanks for the explanation! I have existing epoxy that needs to be removed which I never have done before, so don’t know how difficult or the cost if I hire someone with the proper tools. Need to get some estimates. I really like the oak looking RaceDeck 9 sq ft tile size, but expensive.

That was another thought I had. I'm going to clean the whole floor and then figure something out.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back