Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Semiconductor Shortage May Affect 2022 Cadillac Blackwing Production

Bradan Donaldson

Super Moderator
Staff member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
Not Yet!
2022-cadillac-ct5-v-blackwing.jpg

Semiconductor shortage hits Cadillac as March Cycle 1 Consensus is canceled for the 2021 Cadillac CT4 and CT5​

A couple of weeks ago, we had the opportunity to take part in a Chevrolet local area marketing meeting to go over the current state of production and marketing for all of Chevrolet's platforms.

While Chevy Malibu, Equinox and Trax production continues to be impacted by the semiconductor shortage and the assembly plants responsible for production of those models remain closed through mid-April.

Right now, Chevy's primary focus is on Silverado, Tahoe, Suburban and Corvette production in order to meet the demand for those vehicles.

Cadillac Production is now Feeling the Same Effects​

A similar situation is now hitting Cadillac which could potentially affect the start of regular production for the 2022 Cadillac CT4-V and CT5-V Blackwing models.

Full Story:​

God help me if I take delivery of my first high power rear wheel drive manual transmission car with R compound summer tires during the winter in Connecticut, I will slide off the road turning out of the dealership!

edit: like the article says though, I think that they will most likely prioritize the Blackwings the same way they are the Corvette, so I'm not too concerned. I'll be pretty disappointed if Cadillac does decide to delay the Blackwings so they can pump out more crossovers. I understand that they're a business and they probably make more money in a month on crossovers than they'll ever make on their halo cars, but I would still feel slighted as a customer.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: Rob
God help me if I take delivery of my first high power rear wheel drive manual transmission car with R compound summer tires during the winter in Connecticut, I will slide off the road turning out of the dealership!

edit: like the article says though, I think that they will most likely prioritize the Blackwings the same way they are the Corvette, so I'm not too concerned. I'll be pretty disappointed if Cadillac does decide to delay the Blackwings so they can pump out more crossovers. I understand that they're a business and they probably make more money in a month on crossovers than they'll ever make on their halo cars, but I would still feel slighted as a customer.
I don’t believe that the tires are true R compound although, I understand that they are softer than the normal PS4S tires.

I'm hoping the supply line will be decent by July, but if its pushed to the winter months I'll have to get winter tires put on during delivery :ROFLMAO:.

I daily drive my current CTS-V all months and winter tires are a must

Reactions: Rob
Looks like the plant shutdown has been pushed out till April 26th

Looks like the plant shutdown has been pushed out till April 26th
That is correct. I still don't see this affecting Blackwing production, but we'll see:

Steve Carlisle Dealer Letter:

Thursday, April 8, 2021

As promised, we want to keep you in the loop regarding the global, industry-wide shortage of semiconductors. We are taking a variety of actions to manage our way through this issue so that we can support our dealers and customers.

GM continues to leverage every available semiconductor to build and ship our most popular and in-demand products, including full-size trucks and SUVs for our customers.

Today we will announce that:

• Wentzville Assembly will resume mid-size pickup truck production (Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon) beginning the week of April 12.
  • Spring Hill Assembly (Cadillac XT5, Cadillac XT6 and GMC Acadia) will take downtime beginning the week of April 12 for two weeks April 12 and April 19.
  • Production of Chevrolet Blazer at Ramos Assembly in Mexico will be down for one week April 19.
  • Lansing Delta Township (Chevrolet Traverse and Buick Enclave) will be down for the week of April 19.
  • Lansing Grand River Assembly (Chevrolet Camaro and Cadillac CT4 and CT5) will extend its downtime through the week of April 26.
  • Both CAMI Assembly in Canada (Chevrolet Equinox) and Fairfax Assembly (Chevrolet Malibu and Cadillac XT4) will extend their downtime through the week of May 10.

We will continue to communicate often to keep you informed and thank you for your support as we manage this situation together.

Best,

Steve Carlisle

President, GM North America

Hopefully we get some firm news about production start of BW as well.

Looks like the plant will shut down again until June 28th this time. Cutting it close with regular Blackwing production supposedly starting a week after. Will be open for pre-production vehicles to get built so thats good news.

Looks like the plant will shut down again until June 28th this time. Cutting it close with regular Blackwing production supposedly starting a week after. Will be open for pre-production vehicles to get built so thats good news.

Definitely concerning, let's hope there won't be delays, not an easy time for car manufacturing right now.

Good news is it seems in the article that the Blackwings will be moving along during these slowdowns.

"Lansing Grand River Assembly, which builds the Chevy Camaro and Cadillac CT4 and CT5, resumed production Monday after being down since March 15. But GM will shut down production at the plant again the week of May 10 through the week of June 28, except to support limited 2022 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing and CT5-V Blackwing preproduction volume in June, GM said."

Good news is it seems in the article that the Blackwings will be moving along during these slowdowns.

"Lansing Grand River Assembly, which builds the Chevy Camaro and Cadillac CT4 and CT5, resumed production Monday after being down since March 15. But GM will shut down production at the plant again the week of May 10 through the week of June 28, except to support limited 2022 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing and CT5-V Blackwing preproduction volume in June, GM said."
“Preproduction” What does that mean? Car show and media cars?

Hell no! I want the car like yesterday... :)

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back