Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

CT4-V Perf impact of sunroof?

Cadillac CT4-V model

poor-sha

Seasoned Member
OK, this might seem a bit pedantic, but I'm looking at a 4BW that has already been spec'ed and about to be built so I can't change the order. It's exactly what I want except it has a sunroof and I'm worried about the impact of that for track use this will be a heavily tracked car.

Can anyone tell me the weight added to the roof of the sunroof? Does it impact rigidity of the car? Also, how much does it cut into headroom?

@Mirza Grebovic may be the only person with this kind of detail but I have a relatively short window to take or pass on this car.

OK, this might seem a bit pedantic, but I'm looking at a 4BW that has already been spec'ed and about to be built so I can't change the order. It's exactly what I want except it has a sunroof and I'm worried about the impact of that for track use this will be a heavily tracked car.

Can anyone tell me the weight added to the roof of the sunroof? Does it impact rigidity of the car? Also, how much does it cut into headroom?

@Mirza Grebovic may be the only person with this kind of detail but I have a relatively short window to take or pass on this car.
Heavily tracked car as in also heavily modified? If not, who cares?

The typical sunroof is 55lbs of extra weight. Alpha chassis is amazing, you'd really have to be a true princess to detect that handling impact pea. As for headroom, I'm 6'4 so the 2 inches or so of impact interferes with me having my helmet on with enough clearance in the correct driving position. If you're smaller in stature then the impact may be less. Personally, I always go slick top, I can count on one hand the number of times I have actually used the sunroof on any car that I have been in. They are noisy, they eventually leak, and they let in more heat. I agree with these guys as well...

The typical sunroof is 55lbs of extra weight. Alpha chassis is amazing, you'd really have to be a true princess to detect that handling impact pea. As for headroom, I'm 6'4 so the 2 inches or so of impact interferes with me having my helmet on with enough clearance in the correct driving position. If you're smaller in stature then the impact may be less. Personally, I always go slick top, I can count on one hand the number of times I have actually used the sunroof on any car that I have been in. They are noisy, they eventually leak, and they let in more heat. I agree with these guys as well...

"It’s stupider than quilted toilet paper and the Windows Phone—combined"

I actually liked the Windows Phone, but I digress. Thanks, you answered my question as I was looking for actual data to make a decision whether it was worth spending an extra $1K and getting a car soon. 55 lbs and ~2" of headroom gives me something to think about.

I will keep the car stock except track prep, brakes, and potentially wheels/tires. The whole idea is to have something I can flog with a warranty. I'm not being too purist on this as I am getting the top level seats and tech package despite it adding some amount of weight.

My sales guy was so confused at why I didn't get the sun roof and when I told him the same things he assured me that wasn't true. I laughed and just said no thank you. Even cars I only had a few years the sunroof would creak, the seals would get so nasty in the direct sun and on a car I wanna keep, no thank you!

I'd like to know what %age of total built 2022 BW 4 and 5 actually have sun/moon roof? Inquiring minds want to know. My guess is most have it? Some by choice, others by chance like me...

Just wrote Caddy on a bunch of questions, I have.

Cadillac Divisional Offices
PO Box 33169
Detroit, MI 48232-5169

Sun roof is about 50 lb and less head room. I wouldn’t be worried about lap times, but it’s naturally more toll on the brakes and tires at the track. The car is already consuming brakes like crazy.
I personally would avoid it if possible.

I'd like to know what %age of total built 2022 BW 4 and 5 actually have sun/moon roof? Inquiring minds want to know. My guess is most have it? Some by choice, others by chance like me...

The registry is incomplete but can give you and idea of the uptake of certain options. For 4BWs, 926 of 1,203 have a sunroof. That's 77%.

Looks like it's the 3rd most popular option for 4BWs, after High Performance Steering Wheel at 1,096 (91%) and Climate Package at 939 (78%).

The most surprising thing to me is that the two most popular colors for 4BWs are the two non-premium choices: Black Raven and Summit White. Black Raven by itself is 33% of the cars in the registry (exactly 1/3, actually). And Black and White collectively account for 49% of the cars. There is so much bang-for-the-buck with the paint, this just shocks me. I'd hazard a guess that a lot of them are spec cars.

I'm with you guys on sunroofs: I despise everything about them. But I accepted a build with one.

For track use I doubt the 50 lbs is a big deal - though it is located in possibly the absolute worst place.

Sunroof does not seem to bother my childhood friend of some 46 yrs. That's his Plum Crazy 2016 Hellcat "bolt on only" running 8.8's in the .25 on Street Car Challenge circuit. Point and shoot like a B!@#$.

This is his grandfather's car 2 weeks ago in DC for a "Cars at Capital" event with Haggerty. Not so bad for back in the day, fab work is amazing and how it was done with what you had! Some of us may recognize it, Mr. Herb Thomas (NASCAR HOF) and the Hudson Hornet. The kids may recognize from the cartoon "cars".

Hes was Olds in HS and I was Pontiac! We let it loose when we could settling it!

Tech Bronze back in the day for the Hornet.

Attachments

• Duke Dodge.jpg
    Duke Dodge.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 78
  • Hudson Hornet.jpg
    Hudson Hornet.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
The registry is incomplete but can give you and idea of the uptake of certain options. For 4BWs, 926 of 1,203 have a sunroof. That's 77%.

Looks like it's the 3rd most popular option for 4BWs, after High Performance Steering Wheel at 1,096 (91%) and Climate Package at 939 (78%).

The most surprising thing to me is that the two most popular colors for 4BWs are the two non-premium choices: Black Raven and Summit White. Black Raven by itself is 33% of the cars in the registry (exactly 1/3, actually). And Black and White collectively account for 49% of the cars. There is so much bang-for-the-buck with the paint, this just shocks me. I'd hazard a guess that a lot of them are spec cars.

I'm with you guys on sunroofs: I despise everything about them. But I accepted a build with one.

For track use I doubt the 50 lbs is a big deal - though it is located in possibly the absolute worst place.
I mostly shocked that there are 9% of Blackwings without a Performance Steering Wheel. I am not sure why that steering wheel is even an option on a Blackwing.

Black cars are a lot of work but I am not surprised. This car looks really good in black, I always find Cadillacs in general have a classy but aggressive look in black.

As for the sunroof, I could take it or leave it. It is too hot most of the year in my area to use it. Maybe good to let a little light in the cabin but that usually just means more heat. I have a Tesla that is a glass bowl so I kind of like the cozy cabin of the 4BW. I would save the $1,050 and put it toward tint, PPF, ceramic coat, track consumables, etc.

Lazy uncreative dealer orders? Agreed $600 on a car that is going to average around $70k?
I am absolutely blown away that 3/4 have a sunroof! My brief search didn't have anywhere near that return.
Wonder how regional it is? Like Florida, Socal, and others are 90%+
Definitely not a sunroof person myself and likely would have passed on my car if it had it.

Lazy uncreative dealer orders? Agreed $600 on a car that is going to average around $70k?
I am absolutely blown away that 3/4 have a sunroof! My brief search didn't have anywhere near that return.
Wonder how regional it is? Like Florida, Socal, and others are 90%+
Definitely not a sunroof person myself and likely would have passed on my car if it had it.

I think dealers like to spec a ton of options. On a 4BW there is quite a swing in price between a lightly optioned car in the lows $60s to mid $80s loaded up with carbon fiber. I think the sweet spot for a 4BW is in the $60-$70k range, anything higher than that and I start looking at other vehicles on the market. It needs to have a more special engine than the LF4 if I am going to spend more than $70k.

For those that missed my original post this was a case where I could get a car soon that was just what I want- other than the sunroof. I wouldn't order one with it.

I think I'm going to just wait and get exactly what I want.

If you are serious about tracking, I would find one without it. More headroom for the helmet and less weight at the highest point of the car. Put that $1,050 toward the PDR and HUD if you hit the track.

For those that missed my original post this was a case where I could get a car soon that was just what I want- other than the sunroof. I wouldn't order one with it.

I think I'm going to just wait and get exactly what I want.
Good stuff! It's way too much money to get something that might just end up annoying you, especially as it's not exactly something you can miss seeing all the time :)

Plenty of reasons not to get one. Regardless if you open it or not for the air flow (I don’t) they sure can brighten up the inside of the car on dreary fall and winter days.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back