Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Out of state purchase, California registration

If you buy it out of state (of CA) the dealer can do the work to register it in CA in which case you will not have to have it smog checked until at least 6 years later (by which time, the smog monitors should all be initialized). The dealer I ordered mine from in AZ registered it in AZ (temporary transport) so reregistering in CA required not only a smog check but also VIN verification. In my case, the dealer also titled the car in AZ so I had to retitle it in CA, not for registration but because I was refinancing with my CU (at 1.99%/72mo versus the rate the dealer sold it to me with) and they required it to be registered and titled in CA.

So far, I've not heard definitively that the CT4-V BW has the same smog readiness issues that the V8 has so it may be moot unless you have the 5.
My 4BW took 700+ miles b4 monitors became ready.

My BW5 took over 700 miles too. I went to the smog shop 8 times before it finally passed! Went ysteday at 720 mi, still not working. Called local Cad dealer & they gave me this handy refernce for completeing drive cycles in order to pass. Did it a bunch of times.....Went today at 900 mi & it worked. Amen! Such a relief. What a pain in the ass for something so stupid for a brand new car!! The worst part is the DMV fine me an additional $1,200 fee for not having the smog done in time. Uggghhhhh!!!!! How infuriating- I spent HOURS & tanks of gas driving for no reason other than to pass the smog. 900 freaking miles of driving!

Attachments

• IMG_6488.jpg
    IMG_6488.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 68
My BW5 took over 700 miles too. I went to the smog shop 8 times before it finally passed! Went ysteday at 720 mi, still not working. Called local Cad dealer & they gave me this handy refernce for completeing drive cycles in order to pass. Did it a bunch of times.....Went today at 900 mi & it worked. Amen! Such a relief. What a pain in the ass for something so stupid for a brand new car!! The worst part is the DMV fine me an additional $1,200 fee for not having the smog done in time. Uggghhhhh!!!!! How infuriating- I spent HOURS & tanks of gas driving for no reason other than to pass the smog. 900 freaking miles of driving!
So, their logic is to pour more emissions into the atmosphere to pass testing. Make perfect sense for CA. Oh, and the additional fine. o_O

Has anyone confirmed that if the 5BW is showing emissions “ready” in an OBDII tool it’s actually ready to pass the CA smog check? Would be nice to confirm that this works so you’re not blindly driving around and getting multiple smog checks.

Has anyone confirmed that if the 5BW is showing emissions “ready” in an OBDII tool it’s actually ready to pass the CA smog check? Would be nice to confirm that this works so you’re not blindly driving around and getting multiple smog checks.
You should be good to go.

The LT4 supercharged motor has an ECM that will not show all monitors ready at anything less than 1000-1200 miles. Ca CARB folks know that and have approved it. So if you want to smog an out of state new car purchase with less that that amount of miles simply skip the normal STAR certified smog stations and go to the Ca smog referee. They will issue a smog certificate for it without a problem. Apparently the TT V6 doesn't have that restriction on its ECM.

Worked for me. Waited until it read "ready" before smogging again. Passed smog once it was "ready".

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back