Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Opinion about ceramic coating?

I was discussing with my window tinter of 20+ years about tinting the windshields. He refuses after hearing stories about installers smoking ECU's due to too much liquid solution being used during install and seeping under the dash. Any truth to that?

I was discussing with my window tinter of 20+ years about tinting the windshields. He refuses after hearing stories about installers smoking ECU's due to too much liquid solution being used during install and seeping under the dash. Any truth to that?

Never had that problem on 4 of my new cars, first started in 2013, sold that 1st car a couple months back. But then again, I take my cars to the highest rated/reputable installers around and not some back alley, fly by night shop.

Most ECUs aren't even under the dash, they're on the other side of the firewall in the engine compartment. Maybe he just means electrical issues. Either way I've never heard of anyone having this issue and I know of many people who have had their windshield tinted. Though there are only 2 places that do windshield tinting anywhere close to here and they are top quality shops.

yeah, the windshield at 50% is illegal in Missouri, but so is the 21% on the side windows... I would rather pay the tint ticket than deal with the migraines that come from light exposure... I guess I could always look into a prescription... but that means that I would have to admit that I need to go to the doctor

Generally installers use a copious amount of towels laid on dash, door panels etc so unless they are lazy/sloppy/ignorant, there shouldn’t be an issue.

Also, as has been stated, ECUs are not normally in the dash, although plenty of other electronics are.

First time tinting my windshield. I did 70% and love it. I wouldn’t go any darker. My buddy has 50% on his truck, way too dark for at night.

I have a ct5 and I tinted my windshield at 50% and I can tell you vs the non-tinted Spring Mountain cars, My HUD is much easier to see and I love it
Got 70% Expel Prime XR Plus on my windshield last week. I asked first about dash protection and was given assurance. I also asked about the effect on the HUD. I can tell you that it has enhanced the view for me. I was concerned because my polarized sunglasses made my ATS HUD hard to even see at it's brightest setting. I don't even need the brightest setting with my sunglasses now and I have not noticed any degradation of clarity.

My Maui Jim's make HUD completely disappear. Oakley's still leave some to see.

Is the Expel a tint or just a PPF of sorts?

Modern laminated windshields already block nearly all UV light.

IMO tinting the windhsield (beyond a clear heat-rejection film) to reduce light is a terrible idea, unless you have some sort of extreme eye condition. Just wear sunglasses. You know, the kind that you can take off at night. ;)
Yea, I really just heard that certain stuff prevents rock chips. I've had rock chips in 2 of the last 3 cars and it is annoying. I'd put something on there for that alone.

My Maui Jim's make HUD completely disappear. Oakley's still leave some to see.

Is the Expel a tint or just a PPF of sorts?
What I got was a normal window tint.

Huh, don't know about this. Interesting.
A family friend had a rock chip that developed into a large crack. Started from driver side and reached the left edge of the windshield. I said what the hell, let's give it a shot. I had him very lightly push up from inside to expose the crack a little bit more so the liquid would reach all the way inside. It's been 4 months now and the crack has completely stopped since then. A little unsightly, but it's done it's job. The key is to repair the chip/crack soon after it happens so it doesn't become a larger problem.

It's absolutely fantastic and the only rock chips I fear is on the paint, not windshield. There's enough supply in the kit to perform many chip repairs. Comes with a cap so you can preserve it for the future.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back