Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Need a new wheel

CBH

Seasoned Member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
'23 CT5 Blackwing w/ Clutch
I don't have a picture because it really was not visible.....

But today I was out with a friend who just got a new Corvette. He apparently chose the same brilliant red that Cadillac offers, so off we went to enjoy the splendor of the Twisted Sisters in the Texas Hill Country.

We were 80% through it, when I happened upon a rock nearly the size of a basketball in the middle of my lane. I swerved to avoid it, but only got within 6"....so it hit my passenger front wheel hit dead on.

I thought it popped the tire, but upon visual inspection, everything looked normal. TPMS reported all normal pressure. There was a horrible scraping noise, so we thought brakes were broken ? But upon rolling the car a little, it was apparent that it was rubbing in only one spot.

We then concluded and saw that the rock had knocked a dent in the wheel big enough to hit the caliper. And the tire was in tact !!

The wheels are forged aren't they ? I guess this is pretty good proof they're really stronger. I could not believe no visible damage when I got out of the car............

That area is so remote we had to go back to the nearest town to get cell reception so I could call roadside assistance. We finally connected and they said wrecker wouldn't arrive till tomorrow.

Towing to the nearest Cadillac dealer is free. But first 10 miles after that is $110, and every single mile on top of that is $6. So rather than pay for the car a second time to get it home, I'll leave it at Ken Batchelor (who apparently sold to Sewell) for the time being.

The tire still held air after the incident. Amazing..........

I'm replacing the tire as comparatively cheap insurance. Just beware if you see a single Michelin Sport 4S 275/35-19 with practically new tread at a very attractive price............

But today I was out with a friend who just got a new Corvette. He apparently chose the same brilliant red that Cadillac offers, so off we went to enjoy the splendor of the Twisted Sisters in the Texas Hill Country.

We were 80% through it, when I happened upon a rock nearly the size of a basketball in the middle of my lane. I swerved to avoid it, but only got within 6"....so it hit my passenger front wheel hit dead on.

I thought it popped the tire, but upon visual inspection, everything looked normal. TPMS reported all normal pressure. There was a horrible scraping noise, so we thought brakes were broken ? But upon rolling the car a little, it was apparent that it was rubbing in only one spot.

We then concluded and saw that the rock had knocked a dent in the wheel big enough to hit the caliper. And the tire was in tact !!

The wheels are forged aren't they ? I guess this is pretty good proof they're really stronger. I could not believe no visible damage when I got out of the car............

That area is so remote we had to go back to the nearest town to get cell reception so I could call roadside assistance. We finally connected and they said wrecker wouldn't arrive till tomorrow.

Towing to the nearest Cadillac dealer is free. But first 10 miles after that is $110, and every single mile on top of that is $6. So rather than pay for the car a second time to get it home, I'll leave it at Ken Batchelor (who apparently sold to Sewell) for the time being.

I'm replacing the tire as comparatively cheap insurance. Just beware if you see a single Michelin Sport 4S 275/35-19 with practically new tread at a very attractive price............
Wow, sorry that happened to you! At least it happened while using your car as God intended.

I have had what you describe happen before- bend a wheel with no apparent damage to the tire. My wife hit a curb with our old Jetta wagon, and it bent the front wheel and blew the tire, but only bent the back wheel while the tire looked good and held air. Like you, we replaced the tire anyway...who knows if the belts were damaged internally or something.

That sucks but bright side is no damage to your person or car itself.
Hopefully wheel/tire insurance. My wife did same years ago on her BMW, spring thaw and huge pothole on highway. Was a line of cars on shoulder of highway that suffered same fate. Replaced wheel and tire also, had insurance cover it.

Yeah........already had the regret of no wheel / tire coverage. :(

I'll post a pic when I can see the wheel after removal. Nothing really to see while its still on the car.

Before the incident, it was a great trip. I saw 0.81 lateral Gs at one point. We speculated before the trip what max grip would be on the course, bumpy asphalt. Clearly much less than the prepped skidpad they do the benchmarks on....

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back