Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Hitch receiver for 5BW?

Dmkp621

Seasoned Member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
2022 CT5-V Blackwing
OK this might seem sacrilegious to some but it has to be asked.

My current car is a 2014 SS and I installed the factory Holden hitch receiver to use for a bike rack. It is one of the things that really make me love the car - awesome performance with everyday utility.

Looking to cover the same use case with the 5BW I have on order. Not clear what the options are. Looks like there is a Curt option for the Camaro and CTS, not sure how similar Alpha 1 and Alpha 2 will be here (link is down right now):

Not blasphemy! I totally get it. Hitches are also super useful for towing a small tire trailer to track days.

I think you'll really struggle to get any of the other hitch options to mount neatly without interfering with the rear diffuser.

The 5BW is especially tough because of how far down the rear trunk lid extends. On my two previous cars (G35 couple, G37 sedan) I was able to custom fabricate a hitch that had the receiver mount behind the license plate. I'll probably attempt to do the same thing again for my 4BW (I suspect the structural rear bumper is just behind the license plate area) but I haven't been eager to tear the rear bumper cover off my brand new car just yet. I'll be sure to post a long walkthrough when I do though.

Awesome! Let me know how it goes. Would love to see pics of what is behind the bumper cover and if is similar to the CTS. And if you need to cut any of the diffuser or lower bumper cover.

I went with Leroy Engineering for my tow hitch/trailer combo. They custom fabbed a setup for me that allows me to keep the hitch installed, but the receiver is removable. I sent them measurements of bumper/facia, etc and they sent me a really well built piece.

One of the issues I think the BW will have is the CF/non-CF rear facia.

That's a really cool option, haven't seen a fully removable receiver before (maybe because they're hidden!). But as you say, might not be viable for the BW cars.

Just received this, going to give it a go this weekend. Curt 11900:
Class 1 Hitch, 1-1/4" Receiver, Select Camaro, Cadillac CTS (Fascia Trimming)

After looking at the instructions and the relevant portions of the service manual, I'm expecting it will fit with a bit of trimming of the lower facia - basically the same as the CTS. But we'll see how it goes.

1672462596780.png

I'm curious to see how this goes. I am also a cyclist and typically run a bike rack at all times. Looking for a good setup for the 4BW

Please take pictures of the install!! I would love to see what it looks like behind the bumper cover without having to remove my own...

Here are some pictures and commentary on the install. There were a couple of things that were not straightforward.

First, here is the rear of the car with the fascia off. You can also see the junk in my trunk (haha). The CT5 service manual page for the rear fascia was helpful to get it off but not actually necessary. I have a PDF of it - send me a PM if you want it.
1_fascia_off.JPG

Here's the inside of the fascia:
2_fascia_left.JPG

2_fascia_right.JPG

The small box in the bottom center is going to be in the way. It shines the Cadillac emblem light.
2_fascia_inside_center.JPG

And here's the rear of the car with the bumper off. Note I have the tailpipe hangers off and they are rotated about 90deg.
3_bumper_off.JPG

Here's the hitch mocked up. Note, I had to elongate the holes for 2 of the bolts by about 1/8". I did this mostly with a hand file and some with a dremel.
4_hitch_on_arrows.jpg

I trimmed the heat shield:
5_heat_shield_trimmed.JPG

And here is the light relocated. I reused 2 of the mount locations. I dremmeled off the mounting ring that centers the light and re-attached it using a glue gun. I created a pair of mounts for the other side with some screws and nuts. Note the screw heads go through only the inner fascia and not the outer diffuser so they are not visible externally.
6_light_relocated.JPG

Here's a close up of the cutout area. My anchor point for measurement was the middle screw hole that attaches the diffuser to the heat shield. That hole got sacrificed. I cut 3 1/4" inward from that hole, and the cutout is 2 1/4" wide.
7_fascia_trimmed.JPG

Here is the hitch installed before the fascia went back on:
8_hitch_and_bumper_on.JPG

Last edited:
A few other things while I am thinking of it:
  • I really like how it turned out - the receiver is tucked neatly directly under the center diffuser vane.
  • Before I took things apart I measured from the floor to the bottom of the center diffuser vane and got about 10". When I mocked up the receiver, the measurement from the floor to the top of the receiver was about 10 3/4". So this means the diffuser is pushed up about 3/4" higher than stock. To me this is not really noticeable. If you really look you'll see there is a bit more space between the top of the exhaust tips and diffuser.
  • It turns out I could have cut off a bit less of the diffuser by about 1/2". But there is a tradeoff - if I cut off less, the diffuser and fascia would be forced up higher because of the way the vane is sloped.
  • It took me most of the day to do this. Partially because I go slow, and I'm not that organized tools-wise. It could probably be done in half a day by someone more skilled.
  • You will lose the use of the hands-free trunk release. I never use it anyway - I just use the button on the trunk. My theory is that because there is now a beefy steel tube in the sensor area, it is not sensitive enough to detect your foot moving. Although when I first inserted the bike rack shaft, the trunk opened on me - go figure. (Beavis: hehe - he said shaft - hehe)

Last edited:
Stellar work, and thanks again for all the effort to collect photos throughout the install. Posts like this are what truly make these forums invaluable and you did a great job on the install!

I'd imagine my 4BW will be decently similar, and these pictures will help me in my plans for what I'll eventually build for mine. In my two past cars (A G35 and a G37), I had the same aluminum impact bumper and I was able to sandwich it between two plates of steel and weld in a 2" receiver. On the 4BW, the hole I'd have to make in the rear bumper should be behind the license plate (I think), so this could make for a really clean install that would only be visible when in use.

Stellar work, and thanks again for all the effort to collect photos throughout the install. Posts like this are what truly make these forums invaluable and you did a great job on the install!

I'd imagine my 4BW will be decently similar, and these pictures will help me in my plans for what I'll eventually build for mine. In my two past cars (A G35 and a G37), I had the same aluminum impact bumper and I was able to sandwich it between two plates of steel and weld in a 2" receiver. On the 4BW, the hole I'd have to make in the rear bumper should be behind the license plate (I think), so this could make for a really clean install that would only be visible when in use.
Thanks! Spending the $22 to access the service manual and download relevant sections was definitely worth it to get an idea of how things connect before digging in.

In my SS, the hitch receiver replaced the whole bumper bar. Steel not aluminum so probably not compliant to US crash regulations. But I didn't care. The sandwich concept would work also. I love your idea of hiding it behind the license plate. Good luck and post up when you do it!

Thanks, great write-up & photos! Will use this if I can ever get one of these cars.
Couple questions:
Could you trim the bottom of the vane on the diffuser that rests on the receiver? Might not push the bumper cover up as much.
Presuming the emblem light you moved is JUST the light. Is the tube behind that light the sensor for the trunk release? Think it would still work if you moved it more to the passenger side of the car so the receiver wasn't under the center of it?

Thanks, great write-up & photos! Will use this if I can ever get one of these cars.
Couple questions:
Could you trim the bottom of the vane on the diffuser that rests on the receiver? Might not push the bumper cover up as much.
Presuming the emblem light you moved is JUST the light. Is the tube behind that light the sensor for the trunk release? Think it would still work if you moved it more to the passenger side of the car so the receiver wasn't under the center of it?
Yes, the bottom of the diffuser vane could be trimmed more. The rear portion of it was trimmed already as part of the cutout. But, I actually like the appearance of the receiver resting directly underneath the vane, and the way the slope of the vane blends into the hitch receiver. So one would need to be careful about trimming more.

I believe the sensor consists of 2 parallel tubes that you can see in one of the pictures above. That's a good idea to relocate them - if I had to do it again I would try that.

I reached out to Leroy Engineering and I am driving up to their shop in Ohio so they can custom fab a hitch for my 4BW. Might make it easier for other folks that want them in the future as well.

I reached out to Leroy Engineering and I am driving up to their shop in Ohio so they can custom fab a hitch for my 4BW. Might make it easier for other folks that want them in the future as well.
Leroy is the best.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners