Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

First check engine light, manual transmission?

Ungwei

Seasoned Member
Haven't noticed anything strange actually driving, but I had my first check engine light, along with onstar saying the transmission didn't pass the diagnostic test. Guess I'll need to be calling the service department, but anyone have any advice? Never had any check engine light problems before.
Screenshot_20210822-173831_Photos.jpg
Screenshot_20210822-173250_Chrome.jpg

I got this email yesterday prior to noticing any check engine light
Screenshot_20210822-174237_Gmail.jpg

Haven't noticed anything strange actually driving, but I had my first check engine light, along with onstar saying the transmission didn't pass the diagnostic test. Guess I'll need to be calling the service department, but anyone have any advice? Never had any check engine light problems before.
View attachment 4307View attachment 4308
Do you have a code reader? If not, your local auto parts store should be able to either read your codes or, let you borrow a code reader.

So I was actually able to get onstar to check the codes for me, P317C and P317D
Screenshot_20210822-182954_Gmail.jpg

Doesn't seem like a great thing... no flashing, so no misfires it seems at least

Clearly I'm too delicate with my new cars! Think I should worry about driving it tomorrow? Should I try to bring it back to the dealership tomorrow or what?
If it were me I'd go get that code reader and reset it...and since you said it was driving okay, I wouldn't be afraid to drive it. Then if the check engine light came back on I'd make my way to the dealership. Either way, I'd rather drive it to the dealership than have Road Side send a tow truck for it. Just my opinion.

If it were me I'd go get that code reader and reset it...and since you said it was driving okay, I wouldn't be afraid to drive it. Then if the check engine light came back on I'd make my way to the dealership. Either way, I'd rather drive it to the dealership than have Road Side send a tow truck for it. Just my opinion.
That's a great idea, I'll try the reset first, and so long as nothing feels off and it doesn't come back on, I'll just monitor it. Will keep you guys posted.

I’ve had problems resetting with the tool. Unhooking the battery overnight has worked for me.

So dumb thing to check that often triggers a check engine light: the fuel cap. Screws up the pressure in the fuel line and can make the engine think a whole bunch of other things are going wrong when it's really nothing. Might also just reset on its own after leaving it overnight, you never know.

I'm 120 miles into a road trip with another 150 to go tomorrow, and so far so good. I have to say, this is the most confidence inspiring car I've ever had on the highway--and that's after having BMW and Audi products. Today should've been a nightmare running north from the front edge of the storm with terrible weather and road conditions, but it was almost serene. Can't wait to get off the highway and onto more challenging back roads--and hopefully with better weather!

In any case, hopefully the light is just a fluke. That said, never hurts to pop by the dealer, let them take a look, and at least put them on notice.

Last edited:
I’ve had problems resetting with the tool. Unhooking the battery overnight has worked for me.
Is that safe to do? Will it mess up the infotainment and
So dumb thing to check that often triggers a check engine light: the fuel cap. Screws up the pressure in the fuel line a can make the engine think a whole bunch of other things are going wrong when it's really nothing. Might also just reset on its own after leaving it overnight, you never know.

I'm 120 miles into a road trip with another 150 to go tomorrow, and so far so good. I have to say, this is the most confidence inspiring car I've ever had on the highway--and that's after having BMW and Audi products. Today should've been a nightmare running north from the front edge of the storm with terrible weather and road conditions, but it was almost serene. Can't wait to get off the highway and onto more challenging back roads--and hopefully with better weather!

In any case, hopefully the light is just a fluke. That said, never hurts to pop by the dealer, let them take a look, and at least put them on notice.
This was the first thing I thought until I opened the gas door up and saw that it was a no cap design! Hoping it goes away tomorrow.

Is that safe to do? Will it mess up the infotainment and

This was the first thing I thought until I opened the gas door up and saw that it was a no cap design! Hoping it goes away tomorrow.
I haven’t had any problems doing it. I believe it’s in the trunk. If so, place a rag or something so that the trunk doesn’t latch closed.

Personally, I’d probably take it to the dealer. Brand new car, don’t know what requirements there are for the warranty and what not.

if it were the gas cap (which OP stated already that there isn't one) the code would be for the evap system not the transmission....thats two totally different things
The detail for the code talks about variable valve timing, fuel delivery, and potential engine misfires. Evap probably would make more sense if it were gas cap, but whoever gave that code a heading of "transmission malfunction" must've been smoking something

Any chance your battery was low? I know the code says transmission but given that it's a manual I wonder if that is a catch-all the also includes the differential. I know the eDiffs have issues if battery voltage is low so it's possible it tried to do something with the eDiff and couldn't because of low voltage.

Any chance your battery was low? I know the code says transmission but given that it's a manual I wonder if that is a catch-all the also includes the differential. I know the eDiffs have issues if battery voltage is low so it's possible it tried to do something with the eDiff and couldn't because of low voltage.
Good point. These cars are very voltage sensitive.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back