Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

E-Brake: Do you need to turn it off?

DustinEarnhardt

Seasoned Member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
2022 CT4-V Blackwing
So in my manual 4BW, I've noticed that the parking brake automatically turns off if it detects the vehicle is starting to move under it's own power (meaning: applying throttle while in gear, forward or reverse).

It's pretty obvious that it's designed to be that way, but is there any reason it can't or shouldn't be used in that way during normal operation? Do I *have* to push the button to disengage the electronic parking brake or can I just get in, throttle down, and go?

I'm one of those guys that uses the e-brake even with an auto while it's parked... On my 2020 I always disengage the e-brake by the button, BUT you don't have to as the car will detect power and release on its own... The thing that irritates me is sometime when I'm backing into my garage the damn thing locks up because it thinks I'm going to back into something and then I have to use the button to release it.....The car is to smart sometimes and will not let me back into the garage at breakneck speed.... I know I can turn all the nannies off but I forget to turn them back on.. Does any of this make sense??

wow I only get shocked in the but when I pull into the garage, wish they did not do single doors when house was built.

I'm one of those guys that uses the e-brake even with an auto while it's parked... On my 2020 I always disengage the e-brake by the button, BUT you don't have to as the car will detect power and release on its own... The thing that irritates me is sometime when I'm backing into my garage the damn thing locks up because it thinks I'm going to back into something and then I have to use the button to release it.....The car is to smart sometimes and will not let me back into the garage at breakneck speed.... I know I can turn all the nannies off but I forget to turn them back on.. Does any of this make sense??
Mine does that if I leave the Auto lock on, frustrating until I turn it off

Car disengages the ebrake automatically. I just wish it would ENGAGE automatically when the car is in park and powered off. Seriously, if you drive a manual why would they not do this even on flat roads???

Too lazy to dig it up, but I recall the SS OM having some statement about how the brake would automatically disengage, but GM recommended turning it off to avoid unnecessary brake wear and such.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back