Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Disabling GM's ability to track my CT5V Blackwing

revvhigh

Seasoned Member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
CT5-V Blackwing
I don't care about Onstar, and I don't want GM sending me emails based on my vehicles mileage or other reports. It's creepy. GM/Onstar has no business knowing where my car is or what I'm doing.

That being said... is there a fuse I can pull, or antenna I can disconnect, or anything else that's an easy job in order to disable however my car is communicating with General Motors?

I don't care about Onstar, and I don't want GM sending me emails based on my vehicles mileage or other reports. It's creepy. GM/Onstar has no business knowing where my car is or what I'm doing.

That being said... is there a fuse I can pull, or antenna I can disconnect, or anything else that's an easy job in order to disable however my car is communicating with General Motors?
The telematics box is in the trunk on the right side #1
Screenshot 2022-10-17 22.05.50.png
. Just disconnect that and see what happens. You are going to lose GPS and XM radio, plus who knows what else?

The telematics box is in the trunk on the right side #1View attachment 13410. Just disconnect that and see what happens. You are going to lose GPS and XM radio, plus who knows what else?

Thanks. I don't use XM, and I use my phone thru Carplay for navigation, so no loss there. I'll let you know if it triggers the ejection seat, lol.

You should see the things I look up on your moms phone
Dude you have no idea how grateful I am for this information. I swore to my whole family my mom was not the one googling cures for tiny peepees.

The Office Boom GIF

If you don’t want to be tracked it’s probably best to turn the phone off as well.

GM probably doesn't even use OnStar to track your activity... probably easier to buy the info from Google... probably.
I'm sure your right that GM does not use Onstar to track your activity, but they will certainly collect it and sell it to the highest bidder. Similar to how if you search something in Google you now see ads for it in FB and others. I see the day happening when you enter information in Onstar and a package shows up to your house will a bill you did not authorize.

So basically this thread is pointless.

If they're using AT&T, they're not getting any service anyway! Lol!
Au Contraire! The on-board system uses that much larger and stronger antenna built into the car. I did agent side-by-sides at an Onstar contact center a few years back and didn't understand why people were paying for cell service thru OnStar. Learned that in many rural areas it was the only reliable mobile connection!

Don't even worry about it. I doubt they actually track anything. Onstar sent me my performance review on my blackwing and it said it was A-OK. Even though it's currently getting the motor pulled out of it because of friction welding interior components.

Don't even worry about it. I doubt they actually track anything. Onstar sent me my performance review on my blackwing and it said it was A-OK. Even though it's currently getting the motor pulled out of it because of friction welding interior components.
In all fairness, I don't think there's a sensor for engine out of the car! I can tell you, whatever you opt-in foe tracking works well. I've had accurate alerts for triggered alarms and more importantly, email for low tire pressure which is always welcome (vs. finding out when you need to go somewhere.)

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back