Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

CT4 4BW Test drive impressions

emdough

Seasoned Member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
2023 CT4-V BW MT
I happened to find a spec I like at the local dealership that became available after someone canceled their order. I want to purchase it and got to take it for a short drive, but a lot of traffic around since close to rush hour. Coming from a GTI I found the clutch to have much longer travel and more stiffness. Expected for it to be stiffer, but the gear shifts were not smooth even with the rev match turned on. Could not get it into gear consistently and had to reengage the clutch, etc. I've driven manuals all my life, so I would like to think I'm not the issue. Also, heard so many great things about this 6MT and it does not line up with my experience here. Read through the other thread about someone having a similar experience. Thoughts?

Others have mentioned that the Tremec unit is hesitant to shift from 1st to 2nd when cold. Mine exhibits this as well, but it doesn't seem to last long.

I have had instances where the gearshift seemed inconsistent, but only when I was shifting too slowly or hesitating with my shifting motion. When I'm completing my shift in one smooth movement (no hesitating in neutral) from 1st to 2nd/3rd to 4th and so on everything is perfect.

I haven't driven a manual for a few years before buying the 5BW, and I thought that the clutch was better than expected at first. After having it a while I think I would prefer it to be a little lighter, but that's only when I'm driving sloppy. If I pay attention to the engagement point and respect it, the clutch seems just right for the amount of power involved. It is a twin disc after all.

My 4BW has been great, yes 1->2 can be clunky when cold but other than that it's a great shifter and clutch. I like it better than my ND Miata.

My 4BW has been great, yes 1->2 can be clunky when cold but other than that it's a great shifter and clutch. I like it better than my ND Miata.
How long for before it smooths out after start? Any changes with break in?

How long for before it smooths out after start? Any changes with break in?

I only ever really notice it on my first shift of the day and even then it's not every day. It was "good" from the beginning. I think either there was something wrong with the one you drove or it just had very different engagement points than your current car. Overall the transmission on these should be a joy.

I might drive it and see how it feels compared to mine. Also on mine, the clutch pedal needs to be fully depressed or it won't shift/hesitates as well. For a while I was just backing off the engagement point and that was giving me inconsistent results so now I make sure I fully disengage.

Sounds like you just need to get used to it.

Like others said, Tremec manuals are typically a little notchy until they are warmed up. Break-in will help a bit as well. These transmissions are designed to handle a lot more torque than most vehicles so they are not dainty like what you would feel in a Honda Civic or similar. The clutch on the 4BW is actually pretty light compared to other vehicles with these power levels.

Just drove the CT4 BW in question. The clutch is LIGHT compared to the 5BW clutch for sure. The shifting felt the same as my 5BW though. It was an interesting contrast to my 5, but the shifting experience was the same. You can't half heartedly row through the gears, these cars want you to demand that they shift to the gear you have chosen with very deliberate action.

Just drove the CT4 BW in question. The clutch is LIGHT compared to the 5BW clutch for sure. The shifting felt the same as my 5BW though. It was an interesting contrast to my 5, but the shifting experience was the same. You can't half heartedly row through the gears, these cars want you to demand that they shift to the gear you have chosen with very deliberate action.
I agree! You need to shift with purpose, can’t be lazy about it.

My 4VBW 6MT shifts like butter once its warmed up. Cold, 2nd gear a little notchy but as soon as it warms up after a few minutes its awesome.

The Tremec's require you to be heavy handed, they will take the abuse, clutch to the floor and change gears like you're racing it and drop the clutch.

I only ever had some odd 1-2 shifts in the C7 Corvette's, the shifter isn't as notchy as the TR6060 but I had zero issues with the one in the Camaro and my 5V Blackwing, just be assertive and shift it like your on a race track, fast shifts and it will feel smooth. If you're slow because your used to shifting lower torque vehicles with rev hang you will have a bad time.

Drive it like a monkey and you will be rewarded.

And yes, you can't lazily shift your gears, you need to bang them with purpose and authority. This is a track car with a lot of torque and horsepower, not a honda accord.
This is accurate. I"ve had a few friends drive my TR6060 equipped cars and they've never driven anything with that much power. Their used to Golfs and Civics where you have to be precise with the clutch and how quickly you shift to not upset the car.

I have to tell them to just shift it like an ape, just foot to the floor, bang it into the gear and drop the clutch all within a second and the car won't skip a beat.

It is a different feel from my old 2009 GLI. But I've gotten used to the Cadillac after selling the GLI several months ago. I think the 1-2 shift when cold has smoothed out a bit after 1500 miles.

I drove it again today and it was great. No issues at all...guess I needed to get used to it and the car must have been idle for a long time when I drove it the other day. I brought it home :)

On a side note...pictures do not do this car justice. It looks so much better in person.

Except for the usual balky 1-2 shift when cold, the 4BW’s shifter operation is satisfyingly smooth and solid. There’s little to no engine/transmission vibration felt through the shifter or clutch pedal. There’s also no annoying clutch chatter or driveline shutter, either (if any, it’s very little). The car is fairly easy to drive smoothly. Overall, an excellent manual.

The shifter is good. I modded my GTI with a short shifter, brass bushings, and custom heavy weight lever. Compared to the BW it has a very satisfying mechanical engagement that the BW doesn't have. Just curious if anyone here has tweaked theirs setup?

Proof of life…
8700C237-C1F9-4F55-9160-BAA25B548A5E.jpeg
587D407B-3027-4A88-BE77-542909773CFD.jpeg

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!