Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Carbon fibre wing and resale value

T.O.Blackwing

Seasoned Member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
22 5BW
I am considering ordering a CF spoiler for my CT5 BW.
Assuming I can get one, the cost will be significant and so is hard to justify.
On the other hand, if I can recoup a good percentage of that cost someday down the road, the cost isn't really quite that high, all things considered.
It may even net out at zero or better.
So the question, at least in my mind, is: Assuming ownership of, say, 3-5 years, is it likely that the cost of adding a CF spoiler at this point will eventually be recovered, either at all or at least to the same extent that the initial price of my CT5 Blackwing will be when I eventually trade it in or resell it?
Please share your thoughts, opinions, and experiences, including experiences with other cars where you might have added cosmetic OEM parts after delivery of your vehicle as originally ordered:
Capture.JPG

Look at it this way, the cost for the factory installed option is X. After you years it will be worth a fraction of X. If you buy after-market and can get the same price for an OEM-quality unit, then maybe it's a no-brainer so long as the regular depreciation is offset by your enjoyment of having the CF part. But, if as I suspect, you'll have to pay a multiple of X, you'll still only get the same fraction of X for resale (assuming you go OEM and even less for aftermarket part.) Only you can decide if that's worth it to you.

Last edited:
On the other hand, if I can recoup a good percentage of that cost someday down the road, the cost isn't really quite that high, all things considered.
So the question, at least in my mind, is: Assuming ownership of, say, 3-5 years, is it likely that the cost of adding a CF spoiler at this point will eventually be recovered, either at all or at least to the same extent that the initial price of my CT5 Blackwing will be when I eventually trade it in or resell it?
Please share your thoughts, opinions, and experiences, including experiences with other cars where you might have added cosmetic OEM parts after delivery of your vehicle as originally ordered:View attachment 16530
I've actually given this some thought, why I don't know. In any case, going off of historical data of previous collectible cars, if it wasn't on the build sheet from the factory then it doesn't really count. Will history repeat itself? I'd think so.

Modding a car is always pay-to-play. Expect to recover little or nothing. But if you still want to justify buying it please just think I'm a jerk and ignore me. I bought one. Also, not sure how things are in Canada, but in the US mods are not covered in one's insurance policy by default. There are some states and some insurance companies that may cover it, but it's a case-by-case subject.

From what I see at dealerships, if you're doing just the rear spoiler, you won't get anything more. They don't care. Sell it yourself, and I'd say the same thing. You'll get zero.

If you did the complete OEM, CF1 package, private party you'd probably be able to get something, maybe half. A dealer might give you something too, but you'd have to push them.

Personally, do it for you and don't expect anything

I don't know if you noticed, but your picture is for the wing for the CT4, not the CT5.

Please share your thoughts, opinions, and experiences, including experiences with other cars where you might have added cosmetic OEM parts after delivery of your vehicle as originally ordered:View attachment 16530
If you're lucky, you'll get $.30 on a dollar.

I ordered mine from the GM parts website. At the time, the OEM wing retailed for 4k or so. I got 25% off + an extra $100, so it was delivered at $2900. I could care less what someone else might pay or think it is worth, I bought it because I think It completely enhances the look, especially on a light color. I don't plan to ever get rid of my 5 Blackwing, and the cost of the wing enhances my visual enjoyment of the car.
20230128_124905.jpg

You will absolutely gain resale value with that OEM spoiler on a used car in a private sale. There are plenty of people who prefer the look of that spoiler and don't want the front splitter that comes with it. But like Speed Racer mentioned that value is going to fairly low.

So in 3 to 5 years when your car is listed with other used 5BW, you could probably squeeze out an extra $1k or a bit more out of the sale to someone who wants that spoiler. But again, it needs to be a private sale as a dealership won't give you anything for it. If you can get a good deal like mentioned above then you could mitigate the cost by about 25-30%, eventually.

The only time you get to recoup any decent amount of a mods value is when you can sell it separately from the vehicle.

I ordered mine from the GM parts website. At the time, the OEM wing retailed for 4k or so. I got 25% off + an extra $100, so it was delivered at $2900. I could care less what someone else might pay or think it is worth, I bought it because I think It completely enhances the look, especially on a light color. I don't plan to ever get rid of my 5 Blackwing, and the cost of the wing enhances my visual enjoyment of the car.
View attachment 16546
I got a CT5 V Blackwing on the way. But due to the constraint on carbon fibre parts, I wasn't able to get the splitter and duckbill. Are both available on the GM parts site? I'm in Canada, so I'm not sure if that makes a difference.

after many many motorcycles and cars and modding them all I have a general response that you will NEVER recoup what you bought those mods for and you are better off saving the original parts, putting them back on the car/bike and selling the car/bike as stock while selling the mods as separate items. You can expect to get about 50% of the cost back on mods.

after many many motorcycles and cars and modding them all I have a general response that you will NEVER recoup what you bought those mods for and you are better off saving the original parts, putting them back on the car/bike and selling the car/bike as stock while selling the mods as separate items. You can expect to get about 50% of the cost back on mods.

Corollary: If you expect to keep the car for a "long" time, you might as well just sell the OEM parts right away, because there may not be much demand in the future the aftermarket parts (unless they are interchangeable with other cars, wheels for instance). Over the "long" haul you may get more money from selling the OEM parts now than the aftermarket parts later.

What constitutes a "long" time is open to debate, of course. The demand for aftermarket parts years from now will also depend on the popularity of a given car model.

Doesn't bother me either way, I think the 5BW is more "complete" than any vehicle I've yet purchased so I don't plan any changes (yet).

I got a CT5 V Blackwing on the way. But due to the constraint on carbon fibre parts, I wasn't able to get the splitter and duckbill. Are both available on the GM parts site? I'm in Canada, so I'm not sure if that makes a difference.
Parts are available, but subject to backorder.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back